The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
Ackattack

Is it possible? Get my truck from WA to KS?

OK, first I want to start off this by saying for right now this is hypothetical.

Currently I have my 69 pickup that I'm working on. The problem is I may be moving from WA to KS next month, this is assuming that I get the job I interviewed for last week. If I don't get that job, I don't have the problem right now.

As it stands right now, my wife says I have to sell this truck. I will be taking my 68, I have a car trailer that it will be towed back to KS with us. The moving truck will be towing the G8. So, 2 drivers + 2 trailers = No room for the 69.

I would sell the truck, but its not finished yet, and even if it was, I don't know if I could sell it in the time frame I have. Plus, I really don't want to sell it cause its cool.

So here's the question/idea: Have members of this board drive it back to KS for me. Kinda like the truck hitch hikes across the country, getting passed from driver to driver. Maybe one member drives it 20 miles to the next town, or 200 miles on their weekend shopping trip. I don't know.

I was thinking I could leave a digital camera in the truck, and when I got the truck back, I could post all of the pictures of the trucks journey. Also, as members met to exchange keys, they could snap some shots and post to give us all an update.

I also thought this would be a cool idea for some members to meet up as they passed the keys from one person to another. I know I've met many members of this truck board here in Washington, and plan on meeting many more once I get back to KS.

I have a couple of concerns.

Legal: Obviously I own the truck, and it is insured by me. So what happens if someone were to get a ticket and or in a crash along the way? Well I figure I'd right out some statement saying that I was letting whoever borrow the truck, so hopefully the cop would let it go, and not think its stolen or something. As for the insurance, I guess I'd be giving you permission to drive it, if you hit someone they're car is covered, my truck isn't (liability only).

Gas: I figured between the board, I could re-imburse members for any gas money they put into it.

Break-downs: Hopefully anything that might happen would be minor and could be fixed with regular parts store stuff with minimal costs. If something big/expensive broke....I don't know.

As for the condition of the truck. I just tore the engine down and re-gasketed the whole thing. The internals looked surprisingly great, so I put it all back together. I started it up and it ran. I think if I were to do this, I'd throw on a new carb, cause the one on it seems to have some issues that I haven't figured out. I'd also put on some new tires. The tires on it aren't horrible, but for everyone's safety and reliability, I think it would be in everyone's interest.

So what does everyone think? Is it possible? If it is, I might just have to convince my wife. And again, at this point, this is hypothetical. Hope to find out about the job and moving situation next week. (Wife is going to KS in Dec, cause she starts her job there in Jan. We have a house and I have a job in WA, so until one of those two things change I'll have to stay here)

Here's the truck as it sits right now. Some may have read the build thread
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote