The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #26
haminator

Re: what do you guys do?

No matter what job you have you can make extra cash scrapping metals. I've made over 15000 this year and haven't paid for any of it. I did get in on a grocerystore remodel, that helped a bunch. I drive a truck at night witha 7 hr layover(sleep) so I do have more time than most for scrapping and trucks.
haminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #27
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

I'm happy to say I retired two years ago. I don't remember your asking for advice, but here's my point of view.

After college (Business major/English minor), I worked in a finance profession for 41 years. For the most part, I hated it.

When people ask, I suggest the happy warm-fuzzy "money doesn't matter" stance you hear from all these good folks.

I was okay with hating my job. Oh, there were good days, good people, and good money, all right. But if you work in the corporate sector,
you will be screwed by definition. And if you can take it like I did, then the trick is to compartmentalize.

See, I have a family that is the method by which I wish to be measured. I have a wife that loves me and we laugh together all the
time (between throwing plates, etc. ). My daughters and my woman were the center of my life. Building motorcycles, cars and trucks were a "man-cave" sideline
that is highly necessary for one's sanity. As is (and was) for me, making music (good guitars and good musician friends), reading, teaching, food, and too much good food.

Two of the top hats-off go to trapper for giving the finger to the corporate lifestyle, and to whomever (sorry) who gave the advice to start stashing dough away now.

As for me? I spent what I made....all of it. But only AFTER the 401k dough was taken out and all the bills were paid. So during the 41 years of work, after vacations in which
I've been lucky enough to travel around the U.S. and Canada, Europe, and the South Seas, and putting three girls through college that now have more letters after their names than
I can read, I never really had any money.

Now, I still don't. But I don't need any more money than is coming in. I'm more careful buying parts, the travel has slowed down considerably, and I get to tinker with the truck and
pour my heart AND time into the grand kids.

Hope you're as lucky as I've been.

Sappy, huh?
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 11-28-2010 at 09:02 PM.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #28
SRVBLUES64

I went to college for Baseball and commercial art, but baseball was my dream but it all ended when I ripped my rotator cup in a game, and get this there were scouts from Cleveland and KC watching me and a few other buddies ouch so what do I do now I'm a Project Manager for Henry Schein Dental we provide Dental supplies and equipment to Dentist all over the world, we are the largest supplier in the country. I started this in 1979 pays good but never good enough.. Heres my advice computers! Thats where were going and us older guys have learn it all. STAY IN SCHOOL
SRVBLUES64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #29
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

Mechanical engineer who makes greeting cards.

These trucks can be kept running with a minimum of tools; in my mind it's the restorations that start chewing up to the tool budget.

I've been satisfied with very small resto steps in favor of always having a truck available to drive. So I'd say be patient and find a degree/certification that you enjoy.

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #30
superchevy
Got big-block?

For the last 10 years I've owned a pinstriping business...not the custom, old-school striping stuff you see on rods and harleys...the everyday pinstripes and graphics repairs needed at bodyshops and dealerships. The money is great, and my time is mostly my own.
Oh yeah, I have a degree in finance and spent 11 years in the insurance industry...I quit that Christmas of '99...never a slave again
SC

'72 Corvette convertible 454/4spd/ac, ps, pb

'73 GMC Sierra Grande short wide 454/T400 ps, pb, ac

'77 K5 Blazer black on red, 350/T350/NP205 ps, pb, ac all original

'78 GMC Sierra Classic short wide 454/T400 ps, pb, ac

'72 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 38 built.
'73 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 71 built.
'75 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 25 built.

SOLD! '72 GMC K25 4x4 468/4L80e/NP205
build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...23#post4324423

SOLD!'55 Chevy gasser 496/4spd
build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...96#post4324396
superchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #31
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Plenty of really excellent advice in several posts so far. Nothing much I can add to it. Find something you enjoy doing that pays enough to live the way you want, and always live within your means.

I started in telecom right out of high school -- worked as a C.O. (central office) installer, C.O. maintainer, cable splicer & lineman over nearly 42 years until retiring 1 1/2 years ago. Bought my '72 in '79 and have had it painted and the engine rebuilt, but that's about it besides basic maintenance, so it hasn't been a money pit..... yet.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 11-30-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #32
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

I am a district manager in charge of 6 stores in the automotive industry. 16 years has been good to me. Do what you enjoy. In my opinion cars and trucks will always need techs. Might be the way to go.
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #33
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

I earned my degree and now I run two business that have nothing to do with my degree. The point is stick with it and you'll be successful. Do what you love and work hard at it and you'll succeed in getting your truck where you want it. I bought Old Yeller before my sophomore year in college, kept it running during school and started seriously working on it after graduation.
And here's an important piece of advice about marriage. Do what I did and marry someone who appreciates, if not loves, your truck like I did. And before marriage be sure to pass right by the girls who don't like your truck. I mean it. Marriage did slow down my rebuild because that did have to come first but eventually I got things back on track and finished the project. If I'd married someone who didn't "get it," I may never have finished.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #34
1968SWBBigBlock

Sales Rep (industrial plastic pipe, valves, fittings, instrumentation, and filtration) for the last 16 years. I am really good because I am different - I still think business can be done on a hand shake, you are a man of your word and you will only screw me once. My customers appreciate what I bring to the table and they know me to be a trustworthy, loyal sales rep that will bend over backwords to help them.
I spent 11 years before that in agriculture research and development - great place to feed the world and be broke & starve all at once!
I knew early on that I was not great with funds - I got lucky and my wife of 25+ years is great with funds - she keeps my spending in check and makes sure all the bills are paid and we get a vacation every year.
Actually the saving of money is addictive.
I have always worked deals, made Friends and bargain shopped for all of my parts.
When I had the machine work done on my motor the machine shop had a roller motor sitting on the show room floor that a customer rolled over and left them without paying - I went to work and got the motor sold for him - traded a bunch of favors and Dave treated me really well in return.
Always give more to others than you think you should - I have been involved with Boy Scouting for the last 13 years - my son has been out for the last 3+ years but I continue to be a Scoutmaster. The opportunity to watch young men accomplish things they did not think they could, the opportunity to impact another life in a positive way is priceless. Its about giving back to the community and another family.
It can be tough to figure out what you want to major in school - the business degrees can be a great catch all.
Try and find an opportunity to do coop work - it is great experience, great networking, great exposure to the real world
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #35
DALTON
69 C-10 Short Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Measure, design, and sell wholesale to custom cabinetry. Also demo jobs and install sometimes.... Sample of a recent job...

I will echo the comments about living within your means. That being said...I buy and sell truck parts to not only fund my projects but give my family spending money each month. I always buy a part I see on here, craigslist, or ebay that's around half or less than what I've sold the part before....knowing I can either use it or flip it for a profit. Also will buy good parts that are ugly and clean them up to sell....especially a parts lot...

....more often than not though...having cash on hand when you go to look at parts means you can negotiate a good deal and many times the guy has a garage full of the stuff they're trying to get rid of so I make an offer I can live with it for it all....sometimes I get it...sometimes not....

Also have bought several parts vehicles with the plan the whole time to either part it out or to finish and sell it. Right now I own two trucks but neither will stay with me and neither runs (for now) I have a dream truck and I've been buying parts/tools for it as I find them for 2+ years. I eventually will build it when I have all the parts and tools needed.

Finally, networking and horse trading have been mentioned. Great idea. Found a great guy on craigslist who's super cheap on welding and on mechanical repairs. He has a 35+yr painter friend, a body guy friend, glass guy friend, tranny guy friend.... that helps out BIG time.
We also swapped out things for work...like I would take his welding tanks and fill them and he'd take the price of the refill plus $30 or so for my time off my labor bill. I also used an acct with a metal company to save him a couple hundred off some steel for a project and fronted the money for the steel. He took a lot off my labor bill for that...in the end I gave him a couple hundred cash for thousands of dollars worth of work and he and I were both happy with the deal!
from a real estate appraiser's perspective.... Nice Kitchen!
Old 11-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #36
Ackattack

My wife and I are both engineers. I'm mechanical and she's civil. I work for the the navy as a civilian...but will be moving to KS sometime soon.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #37
Bullseye54

I retired from the fire department last year,after 34yrs.Worked 24 on 48 off.On the days off I had a second job of some sort,for the most part that was my money.I wheeled & dealed,traded whatever it took.One thing I wouldn't do is use household money.I did do a lot of waiting for high dollar stuff early on....................Bob
Old 11-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #38
chopttop

I spent way to many years being self employed in the home improvement business. Have spent the last 13 years working for a major window manufacturer as an in home service tech. I fix window problems in the customers homes, joke is that if we see some monkeys come threw the service door, we have less than a week left.lol I screw off a lot and get paid fairly well. Sig other off many years pays some of da bills, she does what she want w/her money, I do what I want w/mine, after the bills are paid, works out well. Have a new secret income that helps a lot w/the toys which their are to many of. Winter is here, time to work on da toys, go to Jamaica in March and have a sufficient amount of fun cause I ain't getting any younger
'90 Harley FL, 127 Ultima engine w/6 speed, Blk & chrome
chopttop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #39
sleepingbag

Im a District Sales Mgr. for Napa Underhood, I rep all engine management and fuel delivery that is sold by NAPA. Best thing I sell? Seafoam, I swear it is some great stuff! But for along time I worked in the steel and aluminum industries, and wished I could do something with cars. Then, I was downsized. Never thought I'd like being in the sales game, but have to tell you, when its something you really enjoy it is easy to do! My dad used to say "if you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life" and I swear its freakin true!
sleepingbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #40
69 longhorn

I have worked in glass, small engine repair, & auto repair(brakes & exhaust mostly). We all know that there is not a lot of money in any of those feilds, but the wife makes good money(and shares a bit) Also, to off set my toys, I am the dude that can tell the doc just how many threads it will take to to sew my fingers up this time! Hands on....I part cars trucks, do a little scrap to get my pcs, & do All of my building. The only 2 parts on my truck that I didnt build ,were the drive shaft & the radiator This extends on into my home, to offset the costs of everything else, I do what remodling I can. That makes me a carpenter, a plummer, & an elelctricion at times. Man I wish I had done more school....I wouldnt have to work so hard crazyAl
Old 11-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #41
LEEVON

BS in Construction Mangement from University of Central Missouri, 9 years in the industry working for (2) of the US's largest General Contractors, currently as a project manager. It has it's days, it may just be my personality but I think it's a very challenging, difficult yet rewarding job. Pay is good, hours vary by company and project but can be long. Moving is always a possibility.

Maybe someday I'll take the wealth of knowledge I've gained from countless contractors and subcontractors about HOW NOT TO DO BUSINESS and start my own

Last edited by LEEVON; 11-28-2010 at 10:40 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #42
Hubscrub
Cruzin

no college here just work in a stainless kitchen equip. fab shop, i make decent money but my biggest thing is i have no debt whatsoever. I'm just 28 and i was raised poor and learned to SAVE money i didn't buy new cars, etc. i have all old stuff which is paid for and i married a teacher 2 1/2 years ago and she has no bills either. You don't have to make alot of money to live good you just be smart with it and don't live beyond your means. Granted i don't own a home yet we are saving for that i live in a trailor for now that is rent free (her parents own it). But just be wise with your money and you will do well. God bless

Also i don't have a ton of tool you don't need it for old stuff ha, my dad was a auto tech. for 30+ years and taught me to work on my own stuff. I do everything i can myself which saves a ton on labor. Just interior work and body work is usually all i pay for. The only way you will learn is to try.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 11-28-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:21 AM   #43
atomic67

I'm a union heavy equipment operator, mostly hydros and before that was a HD mechanic on big cranes. Acquired tools over the years for my job and used them on the truck. Have owned my truck for closer to 30 yrs. Only recently has it been possible to do what I want to it. No college but have never been out of work. Find a skill your good at and like and go with it. Good Luck
atomic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #44
Kidd-7

Got a BS in electronics engineering technology; landed a job with the phone company; CO tech; like Stocker; completely different technology now I'm sure. Most of the advice rings so true; budget your money and make sure you have a savings. If you don't buy hte $500k house you'll have alot more $$ for cool trucks. I also raided my dad's toolbox for years after I moved out. The book Rich Dad, Poor Dad will change your concept on money, I suggest it.
Kidd-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #45
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

I started working on a golf course when I was 20 for $5 a hour, now 25 years later I'm the superintendant of the clubhouse and whole golf course and all employees, not going to say how much I make now but its not bad for 5 miles from my house, I stumbled onto the job and loved it ever since. I started building a 67 4x4 12 years ago, bought a guy out of his parts, once I got my truck built took the leftovers to a swapmeet and thats when I decided to start parting and selling parts. I love doing it too, it gives me and the family extra money every month although it does take alot of my time doing it but most the time my wife doesn't have a problem with it, she always has her hand out when she knows I've sold something. As was said don't go crazy borrowing too much money, live within your means
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:09 AM   #46
treveiger

I have medical conditions that limit me to my dreams of what i want to do so i do what i can an am use to. I run my own commercial cleaning business that ive had for 2 years now and help my father run his businesses(he co-owns a daycare and is into relistate business like renting and flipping land and houses)ive been doing things like that sense i was 11 and have tried other things but they didnt last long as i could not do them. I help my family and they help me and now my father leaves to mexico every year and other various parts of the world and leaves me in charge of everything(a lot of trust is needed to trust a 19 year old with your lifes work)and i love it because i make my own hours and can work when im able to and have learned a lot working with my father that ill never forget. How i pay for my truck is i do most of the work myself and manage my money and never live outside my means. Out of a family with 6 kids me and one of my step sisters are the only ones that know how to manage money my other siblings are always having money problems and they make more than me. So its all about how you manage money and how you live.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 AM   #47
1LOW4X4
Account Suspended

IBEW Local Union 479 electrican here. Wife is a hairstylist, and we own the hair salon she works at.
1LOW4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:03 AM   #48
vectorit
What?

VoIP (voice over internet protocol) telecommunications tier 3 engineer.

No college, well a few classes at a local community college but no degrees here.

Started out in the mail room, showed an interest in technology. Transferred into the IT department, learned the basics and moved on to jobs that were more challenging each time I changed employers.

I am a troubleshooter at heart, so my line of work suits me.

If you asked me back when I was fresh out of H.S. as to what I wanted to do, or if I wanted to get into "Technology" I would have stared at you like a deer in the headlights. Back in the mid 80's the technology was a 1200 baud dial up modem, and computers were extremely expensive and everything with them was command line driven. No fancy desk tops with cute icons!

I never, and still don't make enough to have a ton of cash to throw at my truck project. But, like noted above money management is key!
Heck, I have been restoring my burb since 1995 and it's still not done! (at least in my eyes).

Last edited by vectorit; 11-29-2010 at 03:05 AM.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #49
Zeke's Garage

I fell into computers and technology in my mid 20's after dropping out of college and getting married/divorced and remaired again.. and managed to make a decent living despite my lackluster education. I'm super ADD and require hands-on experience to learn well, so school wasn't the greatest experience for me.

Regardless, I'm currently a Unix/Linux Engineer for a huge Healthcare company and rely daily on my troubleshooting and problem solving skills. I really consider myself a white-collar mechanic, and if it hadn't been for computers, I would be turning a wrench for a living, instead of stealing away time during the week.

I'm seriously considering going back to school for mechanical engineering just so I can better understand, design and implement all the wacky ideas I a have for my cars and trucks.

As it has been said... find something that you love to do, get educated and make an enjoyable career out of it. Money isn't everything, but it sure helps. Do what you can to be marketable, and understand what it takes to live within your means.

Also understand that the world is a big place, and take advantage of your youth and explore it before the responsibility of a family, home and career keep you anchored in one place.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Shawn
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #50
DT1

Cryogenic engineer for NASA. I make things real damn cold!
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote