The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #26
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Re: Trying to Understand.................

I am sure the purists howled when the first wise guy hacked up grampa's model T into a T-bucket or a A-bone roadster ,
I do not understand a lot of things anymore , I have Teenagers -you know!
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #27
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
I am sure the purists howled when the first wise guy hacked up grampa's model T into a T-bucket or a A-bone roadster ,
I do not understand a lot of things anymore , I have Teenagers -you know!
Ohhh . . .... You don't know anything. .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #28
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

I do know I am spending more time out in the garage these days!!!

My friends tell this teen age stage will pass ,

It is Kinda like the in auto world ,
Trends come and go,
Daughter is studying Marketing, where they teach if you are not re-designing or re-writing and tweaking something into a new product even a little bit ,
Sales go down, And you get lost in the crowd
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #29
Rayo

Wink Re: Trying to Understand.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVA59 View Post
I am sure this will draw a ton of flack from some. However, I am not writing this to make anyone upset. As the heading reads, "I am trying to understand". I typically keep to myself but lately seems like more than ever, I have seen so many awesome looking trucks get cut up and slammed to the ground on here. I know the 'ol saying "to each his own" and that is good with me. I guess i just don't get it because this is not what customizing and general restorations are to me over the 40 years or so that i have been in and around restoring old cars and trucks. I see guys get a perfectly nice looking truck and the first thing that happens is the frame and suspension gets cut up and slammed. HOWEVER, I will say the craftsmanship is AWESOME but i am just not able to see the desire in having these trucks bumpers sitting on the ground. Again, not trying to offend! only trying to see what makes this so desirable. Maybe someone can explain this to me?????
Happiness is not something ready made. it comes from your own actions, (Thats all)
Rayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #30
Rayo

Don't think so much
Rayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #31
CVA59

Rayo........I never said it had to be something ready made. I don't care for ready made stuff either. And yes, i think about it because i love these old trucks. I hate seeing the frames butchered and slammed to the ground all in the name of personalization. IMHO it does nothing for improving the looks or styling of these trucks. Butchering these trucks has the same affect on me as the punks going around with their pants hanging halfway down their butts with their cap turned sideways. Does no one have any class or dignity anymore?? I mean really. I know there are many in here who will not comment but feel the exact same way i do when it comes to this issue. Bottom line is, its your dollar and your truck and i don't care what you do with it. I (again) like the title says, will never understand it and i never have.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 12-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #32
daverod
SSN 706

You need to open your mind a little more you can't judge people just on the way they wear their clothes. Try and be alittle more tolerant of people not everyone is the same and they are not all like u. Guess all people with tatoos are punks also. I think a lot of problems with society are cause by people who think like u. Besides when the punks wear their pants like that it makes them easier for the police to catch.

Last edited by daverod; 12-27-2010 at 02:59 PM.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #33
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
You need to open your mind a little more you can't judge people just on the way they wear their clothes. Try and be alittle more tolerant of people not everyone is the same and they are not all like u. Guess all people with tatoos are punks also. I think a lot of problems with society are cause by people who think like u. Besides when the punks wear their pants like that it makes them easier for the police to catch.
So i am the reason society is the way it is today? LMAO!!! I have been a cop for 14 years my friend and yes it does make my job easier at catching these punks. I see that as a negative for them and yet their too stupid to realize it. They are more focused on trying to stand out because they want everyone to see them. It is all ME ME ME, look at me ME world, LMFAO. When i see one of these morons wearing their pants halfway own there butt among other distasteful things it does ring a bell and i pay a great deal more attention to them waiting for them to screw up and 9-10 times they do! As many terds as i have arrested thru the years the majority of the time and its the younger crowd they are typically dressed that way. Also, I don't recall ever saying that having tatoos makes a person a punk now did i? However, I don't understand tatoos, i am not impressed when i see a man or woman showing off a tattoo. Am I supposed to be impressed???? Am i suppossed to be jealous? I'm not gonna debate or argue this with anyone on here. It is a pointless discussion, I only posted to see how many others feel like i do and i have to say that impressed with the number guys that do agree with my comments.

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 12-27-2010 at 04:21 PM.
CVA59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #34
daverod
SSN 706

Somehow I knew you would understand. Now quit thinking so much and go work on your truck. LOL I did'nt say you where the problem. You might be? I said "people who think like you are the problem".

Last edited by daverod; 12-27-2010 at 06:37 PM.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #35
CVA59

LOL, np bud

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 12-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #36
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

Quote:
Rayo........I never said it had to be something ready made. I don't care for ready made stuff either. And yes, i think about it because i love these old trucks. I hate seeing the frames butchered and slammed to the ground all in the name of personalization. IMHO it does nothing for improving the looks or styling of these trucks. Butchering these trucks has the same affect on me as the punks going around with their pants hanging halfway down their butts with their cap turned sideways. Does no one have any class or dignity anymore?? I mean really. I know there are many in here who will not comment but feel the exact same way i do when it comes to this issue. Bottom line is, its your dollar and your truck and i don't care what you do with it. I (again) like the title says, will never understand it and i never have.
I couldn't have said this better my self if I tried.

Any chevy newer than square body I really couldn't care less what you do to it because their pieces of crap anyway, but the older trucks should be left as close to stock as possible. I myself like mildly lifted old trucks but I cant stand it when someone chops up a truck's body or frame so bad that it could never be put back to the way it originally was. Im 20 so its not that your old school or anything like that, I think its just the way people are raised. Same goes for tattoos.
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #37
jbjburbs

You don't have to love every style, but if you can appreciate the craftsmanship then your in the right place. IMO - I don't really need you to like everything I do to my truck as long as you can respect my efforts in building it...

Going to car shows I won't walk past a "Pro's Pick" or "Street Machine of the Year" just because it's a Ford or Dodge....
Dad's 1948 Suburban -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=563150

Bagged 1995 Suburban - SOLD
Bodied 1995 Tahoe -SOLD
jbjburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:31 AM   #38
Permafrost

I think I can agree with burbs here ^ I can appreciate the work and craftsmanship put into a vehicle regardless of the outcome and if I like it or not. However, I tend to lean towards CVA59's point of view. I've viewed many build threads where I was shocked to see such a beautiful survivor cut up to pieces to build something else. Maybe that is why I have a yard-full of junk I've deemed too good to use for parts...
'68 K10
'68 Chevelle SS
Permafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #39
timjt

Quote:
Agree 100%
(and for myself, its not just the style that I don't like/understand as the attitude it shows... when a society stops having any class or dignity then you can bet it has lost alot of its moral compass and intelligence as well)

1983 short n wide custom deluxe SOLD

1985 silverado longbed 305 engine 700r4

OH NO! NOT ANOTHER LEARNING EXPERIENCE!!!

"Just because you can do it, doesn't mean that you should"
timjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #40
63sbssbbw
UCA63

Good points eo
But,I want to be DIFFERENT
Just like everyone else
LOL T
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
63sbssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:22 AM   #41
rustyrodknocker

people wearing their pants halfway down their backside is nothing new. my best freinds dad was doing it 30 years ago. I just wish he would have had the decentcy to put on some underwear! or at least back the truck in the driveway before raising the hood. an image burned into my mind I tell ya. and anyone that wants to be different but drives a chevy truck, is in crisis.,
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #42
Bugeyev8

who cares..if you want a truck that way...make one, I can't see a reason to restore one of these trucks to stock myself, and people starting out with a nice truck no matter what they do with it is ok with me, start with the best and your job will be easier and faster not to mention cheaper, I will never bag or c notch a truck..seen so many getting dragged off the highway when something fails..out here in Ca the have 22s and bags on everything and I mean everything !! look at if from this point..no matter how nice these trucks are they will never be worth that much...just have fun no matter what way you decide to go and support each other...after all we are all in this together !!
Bugeyev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #43
Bugeyev8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrodknocker View Post
people wearing their pants halfway down their backside is nothing new. my best freinds dad was doing it 30 years ago. I just wish he would have had the decentcy to put on some underwear! or at least back the truck in the driveway before raising the hood. an image burned into my mind I tell ya. and anyone that wants to be different but drives a chevy truck, is in crisis.,
The pants dragging thing...is a prision gang thing...its how they show colors in prision, been that way for at least 40 years, my dad was a guard in the 60s and they did it then
Bugeyev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #44
timjt

baggy clothes help hide weapons and stuff too... interesting how the fashion change in the last 5 years has gone to skin tight jeans for girls AND guys, but its mostly the rich sheltered kids that wear em that way, the gangs still keep 'em loose.

1983 short n wide custom deluxe SOLD

1985 silverado longbed 305 engine 700r4

OH NO! NOT ANOTHER LEARNING EXPERIENCE!!!

"Just because you can do it, doesn't mean that you should"
timjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #45
oklahomaduner

I just wanted to chime in real quick, like a few others here I believe in the "To each their own" saying. I love lifted, I like lowered, and I love to see perfectly restored trucks. But I like to stand out and have something no one else does. I like to be able to point at parts on my truck an say "yea, I dreamed, designed, and built that part" it's just fun to have something that represents who you are. I'm building a ext. Cab gmc with 14" lift and a mid 80's frame, but it still stings to see survivor trucks chopped up, but atleast someone is putting their blood an sweat into something they love. I'm also toying with the idea of a 2/4 drop on a gmc I just picked up. I think that these trucks are badass no matter what you do to em.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

1958 Chevy 1 ton dually flatbed
My Dad's build thread

1966 GMC Custom Trim Big Back Window W/351e
My Time-Killing Project Truck

1966 (Not So) All Original Chevy Custom Trim Suburban
My Dad's Time-Killing Project Truck
oklahomaduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #46
66BowTieBoy

Hey there CVA59,

I'm older than dirt, and have experienced internal conflict when contemplating a deviation from original in many of my projects. I justify making some of the changes by telling myself it's an improvement; either for safety, comfort, performance or efficiency and being a Libra only aggravates my condition. I see a lot of rides that cosmetically have no appeal to me. But, as you said I'm in aw of the craftsmanship & ingenuity, for that's what 'Hot Rodding' is all about and I must say some of these builders should be in NASA's think tank. So I always find something to admire in every vehicle I see and just like Blondes or Brunets, it might not be my cup of tee but I will always want to get a closer look and a quick ride.....

Danny
Old 01-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #47
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy View Post
Hey there CVA59,

I'm older than dirt, and have experienced internal conflict when contemplating a deviation from original in many of my projects. I justify making some of the changes by telling myself it's an improvement; either for safety, comfort, performance or efficiency and being a Libra only aggravates my condition. I see a lot of rides that cosmetically have no appeal to me. But, as you said I'm in aw of the craftsmanship & ingenuity, for that's what 'Hot Rodding' is all about and I must say some of these builders should be in NASA's think tank. So I always find something to admire in every vehicle I see and just like Blondes or Brunets, it might not be my cup of tee but I will always want to get a closer look and a quick ride.....

Danny
LOL, I hear ya Danny. I have no problem as i said in the original post with "to each his own". My point is, i still hate seeing a mint or near mint original or mild custom truck butchered up and slammed to the ground. Does this impress me? No. Does it impress many other people my age who are hot rodders? No. I say that because everytime i am around my hotrodding friends and we see a truck or car dragging the ground we all stand around a laugh at it. However, To see a mild custom (or even full custom or original) ride show up at a local car show or event we then take notice and i find that gets a great deal more attention than a vehicle that is dragging the ground or sits on the ground after it is parked. Everyone in my geographical area that i see finds these vehicles amusing. Again, I am however amazed at the craftsmenship that goes into these vehicles. My original thread intention was to understand why people do this. I did not start this to argue or debate it. Is it so that everyone who has these vehicles can show the world its all about "me"? I have built many rods and customs thru the years. Not once have i ever felt the need to show off what i have done or do something to a car in a way so that it will get attention. Maybe that is where i am lost on this subject. Is it all about getting attention?? Either way, I respect everyone's opinions and ideas about this topic. I am not putting anyone down who builds these rides and i am not questioning the integrity of that person so guys don't turn this into something it's not. It is about preferences and a preference that i was only being curious about finding some reason that makes sense to me, not sure i will ever understand it though. I guess i am too old school to adapt to modern day fads and ideas.

www.23t.weebly.com

Last edited by CVA59; 01-13-2011 at 04:15 PM.
CVA59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #48
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

Hey CVA-

I have had a couple bagged trucks and I like it because its different. Bagging a ride for one thing is different and stands out. Picking a truck of all things? Really different. Of course there are a 'lot' of us that like this, but in terms of the general public, cruising downtown 1" off the ground in a truck gets attention.

I like old trucks and motorcycles on their way to the crusher because it's like a piece of clay that you can mold into anything. and if you completley screw it up, who cares? it was neglected and trashed anyways.

I do sometimes think about how if every classic/antique is modified it lessens the pure collectibles on the market, which is kind of sad. But I dont' think most guys buy a mint condition antique to slam it. Most of these guys are starting with $500-1000 POS trucks anyways and giving them new life.

Wouldn't you rather see a '60 step layed out with $10k in suspension mods and thousands of hours in labor at the car show over having it crushed into a little cube?
Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #49
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07 View Post
Hey CVA-

I have had a couple bagged trucks and I like it because its different. Bagging a ride for one thing is different and stands out. Picking a truck of all things? Really different. Of course there are a 'lot' of us that like this, but in terms of the general public, cruising downtown 1" off the ground in a truck gets attention.

I like old trucks and motorcycles on their way to the crusher because it's like a piece of clay that you can mold into anything. and if you completley screw it up, who cares? it was neglected and trashed anyways.

I do sometimes think about how if every classic/antique is modified it lessens the pure collectibles on the market, which is kind of sad. But I dont' think most guys buy a mint condition antique to slam it. Most of these guys are starting with $500-1000 POS trucks anyways and giving them new life.

Wouldn't you rather see a '60 step layed out with $10k in suspension mods and thousands of hours in labor at the car show over having it crushed into a little cube?
Yes, I agree with you in a sense. Without naming names or posting pics i have seen atleast 3-4 trucks right now that come to mind on here that were FAR from being a POS trucks. These trucks were very clean and straight trucks. Next thing happened to them was the sawzall was brought out and away we go, LOL. Next thing happened was, the wheels are sticking thru the tops of the fenders and the bumpers are sitting on the concrete. That is my point when i say i just cannot understand. If it was a POS truck i could understand it a whole lot more. It is no big deal, just something i have never been able to warm up to, so to speak, LOL.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #50
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVA59
....My point is, i still hate seeing a mint or near mint original or mild custom truck butchered up and slammed to the ground. Does this impress me? No. Does it impress many other people my age who are hot rodders? No. I say that because everytime i am around my hotrodding friends and we see a truck or car dragging the ground we all stand around a laugh at it. However, To see a mild custom (or even full custom or original) ride show up at a local car show or event we then take notice and i find that gets a great deal more attention than a vehicle that is dragging the ground or sits on the ground after it is parked. Everyone in my geographical area that i see finds these vehicles amusing.
If you don't mind..... How old are you?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote