The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #26
cozee

Re: Factory stock ?

First, I'm not a collector. Second, if I did come accross a truck like that, you bet I'd sell it to a collector because I would definitely be liking his money more than he would! I am saying that I in no way care to have a truck that I ned to spit and polish more than I can drive it. And if I can't drive it the way I want to then it isn't worth having. I presonally think to have a a truck just setting around looking pretty is a waste. Trucks were made to be used, so I use them. I can always look at pictures, or go to parades, or museums if I want to look at a boring stocker. Purist or rodder, those are the two extremes no matter the vehicles at hand.
cozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #27
MrTucker

It's all a personal choice. I'm doing a stock restoration on my '53, for a couple different reasons. First off, I just like old trucks. If I wanted something that had sporty suspension, gobbs of power, single finger easy steering, and stop on a dime brakes - I'm not going to get a stock truck. Second, this truck has been in the family since it was brand new, and I want to honor that by returning the truck to it's former glory - to bring back some memories for the family. Third - this is a pretty damn rare truck, a factory original Hydramatic in a '53 GMC - I've only seen 5 of them (there were a million made in '54).

There's nothing wrong with "customizing" an old truck, but I prefer to see something other than a typical AD truck with an IFS, 4link, 350 sbc, turbo 350/400/700R4, mexican blanket seat covered truck with a 9" Ford rear end and an 18"/20" staggered wheel pattern.

Grab any issue of Classic Trucks magazine and that's exactly what you'll see almost cookie cutter, if you ask me. Again, there's nothing wrong with that, but it seems "custom" has become anything but original. Every once in a while you'll see a chopped top, an S10 chassis, a flat black or copper paint job, with air ride suspension. It's getting boring as hell, IMHO...

How many on here are rocking a stock truck? Or even running a 6 cyl?

Last edited by MrTucker; 01-03-2011 at 06:57 PM.
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #28
Sillyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDW HOTRODS View Post
There is a huge difference between a stock 1971 and a stock 1959 and older.
I concede. I only saw the title when I replied. As a staff member I'm always looking in many directions so it's often easy to lose track. Thanks for the clarification.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 01-04-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:23 AM   #29
dicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTucker View Post
It's all a personal choice. I'm doing a stock restoration on my '53, for a couple different reasons. First off, I just like old trucks. If I wanted something that had sporty suspension, gobbs of power, single finger easy steering, and stop on a dime brakes - I'm not going to get a stock truck. Second, this truck has been in the family since it was brand new, and I want to honor that by returning the truck to it's former glory - to bring back some memories for the family. Third - this is a pretty damn rare truck, a factory original Hydramatic in a '53 GMC - I've only seen 5 of them (there were a million made in '54).

There's nothing wrong with "customizing" an old truck, but I prefer to see something other than a typical AD truck with an IFS, 4link, 350 sbc, turbo 350/400/700R4, mexican blanket seat covered truck with a 9" Ford rear end and an 18"/20" staggered wheel pattern.

Grab any issue of Classic Trucks magazine and that's exactly what you'll see almost cookie cutter, if you ask me. Again, there's nothing wrong with that, but it seems "custom" has become anything but original. Every once in a while you'll see a chopped top, an S10 chassis, a flat black or copper paint job, with air ride suspension. It's getting boring as hell, IMHO...

Right on, I fully agree.
When I find a driver, I'm going to update the mastercylinder, ad an alarm system, some sort of radio, cruise control, and maybe someother things, all without drilling a new hole, or cutting something up. In other words it all can be taken out and made stock again. How many trucks are done like that? It will not be riding on the snubbers either, I'd rather blocks between the axles and springs than that. As far as power steering on the older trucks, I remember my mom driving dads 59 GMC once, and she was not muscle bound at all, she had no problem steering it. But then again dad never had a car or truck with an automatic or powersteering when I was a kid. I drove all kinds of trucks and cars in the old days with no fancy options like power steering power brakes and that. Gosh I remember enjoying driving then. Well I guess its the nice higher speed limits on the roads, and way less traffic too back then.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #30
cozee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTucker View Post

Personal choice is what I have been trying to convey all along. We each do as we choose with what we have. As for cookie cutter though, well, nothing is more so than stock!!! And yes, I will be running a straight 6 in my chopped satin black and copper paint jobbed, non-air bagged, boring as hell, far from stock Keebler ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And why am I so wrong to want to enjoy the lines of a classic yet combine that with the performance and ride of something a bit more modern and less rack wagon like???? I have many a picture from cars shows where they were several "cookie cutter" ADs and none of them looked the same. I also have pictures from shows where there were several "stock" ADs and each one was pretty much the mirror image of the next.

Stock: When thousands of truck rolls of the same assembly line looking the exact same except for color and minor accessory changes.

Acclaimed cookie cutters: When an individual takes whatever they have and modify it to suit their preferences and choices. Whether major or subtle, changes are made to differentiate theirs from others.

Point is again, we each have different views and opinions and this is what keeps the world a spinnin'. If we were all the same it would become quite a boring place to live.

Keep On Truckin'!!!!!!

Last edited by cozee; 01-04-2011 at 08:46 AM.
cozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #31
MrTucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozee View Post
...And why am I so wrong to want to enjoy...
I NEVER meant to say you were wrong with wanting go in any direction with YOUR truck. What ever you want to do with your truck is friggin cool in my book. I just love seeing these old trucks get a new lease on life. All I meant to imply was that you see WAY more "custom" trucks than you do restored trucks.

It's pretty much known that if you like to chop them up, drop 'em, throw a nasty V8 and a 4 link in 'em then you'll probably not prefer a factory restoration. And there's nothing wrong with that. That's what makes this hobby so great. I might spend $30k restoring a truck to it's "boring" factory condition, while you might spend $30k customizing your truck to a "cookie cutter" hot rod. Just because one of us might not prefer your choice of build, doesn't mean we don't fully respect your choice and drool over your work.

Again, it's all about personal preference. But I seriously doubt any of us will look at another board member's truck and think "what an idiot - look what he did to that truck!" We might think "I wouldn't have gone there, but that's a nice ride" but how often do we really "hate" on another's ride?

I say keep on hot rodding - whatever that means to you. That's what makes this hobby and country so great!!
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:56 AM   #32
enick72

You really just have to figure out what you are going to do with your truck when it's finished. When I bought my 55 1st I got it running, fixed the brakes and everything else to make it driveable and safe and drove it all summer stock original. I thought I wanted to stay stock but realized even though I thought it was very cool these trucks are made for a certain type of driving which is not todays driving. I live just outside of Atlanta GA and traffic is always busy. I found out quickly the brakes are made for stop signs not lights, they were not built for the speeds you need to stay with traffic. I decided to keep a mostly stock look but upgrade gearing, brakes etc. so that I could really drive it all the time and be safe under all conditions. I'm glad that I did it this way, if I had just ripped it apart restored to factory stock I would have been upset that I could not drive it every day.
enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:52 AM   #33
dicer

There is no reason a factory stock truck can not be driven. They were driven that way back in the 50's with close to no problems. My dads 59 GMC did just fine. It was nice that they looked like a truck and rode like a truck. If a person wants a car ride do a car build. Or an Elcamino.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #34
Chevy51

HSDROPOUT,I have a 51Chevy,3/4ton,that I still have the stock straight axle,but I had to go with the 1/2ton straight axle,because of the spindles I used for the disc brakes conversion. I was curious about your bolt on rack and pinion, and where the steering box is located. Is the steering box part of your rack and pinion kit. I was thinking about,going that route,with the rack and pinion steering kit you have in your pictures. Thanks, I appreciate your post.
Chevy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #35
hsdropout

Chevy51, see photo, steering col. slip shaft attaches to u-joint right behind axle left side. There is a pinion just below.
I have had some after thoughts considering that the axle is going to be constantly bouncing up & down, vibrating etc. I am hoping that the rack & pinion unit holds up to all the abuse. Might be better if it attached to the frame some how but space is limited under the oil pan. I am thinking of installing a skid plate below to protect and possibly a rod between the two aluminum mounting blocks to help make it more rigid side to side. It seems fairly stout as is.
It is a kit from No Limit Eng. Requires a PS pump.
Attached Images

hsdropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #36
Chevy51

Thanks,Hsdropout, Are still able to use your original steering box? This is the first time I saw a kit like yours,that you didn't have to have a different steering box? The way my motor is mounted,the original owner,fabricated his own crossmember,and mounted the engine up higher than the normal crossmember you can buy,when using the original frame(stock).I can actually remove the oilpan,without having to worry about crossmember. If I think of anything else, I appreciate any help. I am now in the process of putting power steering, on my stock frame. There are kits for that,I am just trying to watch my budget. The truck after I switched from 8lug to 5lug,and disc brake spindles,seems to steer alright,just needs an alignment,and some adjustments. I can deal with not having power steering. Just thinking about upgrading.
Chevy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #37
enick72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
There is no reason a factory stock truck can not be driven. They were driven that way back in the 50's with close to no problems. My dads 59 GMC did just fine. It was nice that they looked like a truck and rode like a truck. If a person wants a car ride do a car build. Or an Elcamino.
I didn't mind driving the truck at all the way it was, I really enjoyed it but if you live in the city and want to keep up with traffic and stop when everyone else stops than something has to change. If I lived out in the country somewhere I would just change the gearing and let it roll because you can plan all your stops and turns. Driving 45 with traffic in an AD truck and the light turns red and people cram on the brakes it's a little scarry to get the thing slowed in time not to mention if your a little out of adjustment on one side. I'm just saying that think about where and how you want to drive something add in your personal taste and go from there.
enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #38
hsdropout

I was looking at the stock master cylinder compared to the new unit I am installing, should obviously make a major improvement in stopping with disc upgrade too.

I also noticed on my '59 frame that it is completely riveted together, no welds at all. Some of the rivets even look defective like they didn't get the machine lined up correctly, I'm sure they hold fine they just look kind of funky all smashed to the side.

Curious as to what year GM started welding frames...'60 maybe?
Attached Images

hsdropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #39
mr48chev

I think we are getting a bit off track here gents. That little 53 GMC that MrTucker has is one of those that should go back stone showroom stock just because it is a bit of a rare duck and is pretty special in it's own right.

I tend to be a bit more critical when looking at a so called stock or restored truck than I do when looking at a modified one though as I always feel that to be stock or restored it needs to look just like it would have on the dealers showroom floor the day it was new. That includes no mag wheels or radial tires or swapped out sound system.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #40
OrrieG

These trucks were designed with riveted frames so they could flex a little bit. I also heard that because of the nature of the steel welding creates a weak point next to the weld that can crack over time. Don't know it it's true because I have always bolted my supports, etc. to my frame. I have had my frame twisted as much as 8-12" out of vertical alignment corner to corner when driving off road (driver front bumber down 6", passenger rear bumper up 6", bed and cab not parallel). I have popped welds aroung the A pillar and always held my breath waiting for the windshield to let go, but it never did. If the frame would have been welded up something would have been permanently bent or cracked. It all goes back to these truck being designed to run across fields, irrigation ditchs, ford streams and water bars on logging roads, loaded over capacity, etc. Welding and boxing works if are are going to stay on paved streets and roads because it won't be subjected to the torque and twisting.

Last edited by OrrieG; 01-06-2011 at 01:46 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #41
skiddr

Gentlemen,
Gentlemen,
Gentlemen,
Mr. DICER's origional post was. Has anyone done an origional restoration ?
I think he would like to see some old trucks in their origional glory and some support of those who choose to do this.
Instead, he is being bombarded by hotrodders who did what they wanted to their trucks and now want to tell him what to do with his.
PLEASE assist this man with his needs and don't turn this forum into a debate.
Remember we all have our own ideas about what we want to accomplish and we seek help, not sarcasm
skiddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #42
d-666

the 49 that my dad build back in 1986-1987 was all stock..he kept it for20years before he sold it,mainly because of the the poor ride quality and is age now.we really miss this truck and someday im gonna restore a49-53 just like my dada did,all stock .i think thats the beauty of these old truck,the way they ride,feel,ect in stock form..as for my dad,he did buy another all stock ride,a beautifull 55 olds that is more ''old man friendly''lol
pics of the truck and olds

1977 bbc skylark
96 roadmaster
06 9c1 impala
d-666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #43
d-666

more found...

1977 bbc skylark
96 roadmaster
06 9c1 impala
d-666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #44
dicer

I'm looking for a good stock 57 to 59, anyone know of any?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #45
Mr GMC

I have this one I was thinking about selling. Original V8, 3 speed with original 3:07 rear end.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mr GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:18 AM   #46
dicer

That truck looks nice. Also Chevrolets, my small gripe with GMC is the hump at the lower portion of the dash. I guess it makes it stronger though, if memory serves nice access to the instrument lights on them. GMC's are a bit classier truck.
Pontiac engine?
Do you have the stock wheels?

Last edited by dicer; 01-13-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:25 AM   #47
bobinbc

I had a completely stock 56 that I drove year-round daily for several years about 20 years ago. I loved it and my girlfriend loved it. She would rather take that to go cruising in the summer with her best friend than my very nice camaro at the time. Man did they make a scene, 2 hot blondes in a cool old truck. By the way, she was 19, 5'0" and she had no problem with the Armstrong steering or the manual drum brakes.... Only problem was no block heater but it always started fine and when it got down much below -20* the driver's door wouldn't latch and I wouldn't know until I went around a right hand corner I'll try to find a pic.

Also, I have a stock 57 in storage that I'm going to sell. PM sent to dicer

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:48 AM   #48
dicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GMC View Post
I have this one I was thinking about selling. Original V8, 3 speed with original 3:07 rear end.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
PM sent
Old 01-15-2011, 03:42 AM   #49
dicer

Still looking for a totally stock unmolested truck, factory stock.