The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #26
gkesseru

Re: Starter...again...still..

I went through two starters and two flex-plates and a pile of shims but still couldn't get the grinding to stop. then I bought a Summit Racing ministarter and Summit Racing flex-plate. After installation, I measured and it was perfect without any shims. The stock starter had diagonal mounting bolts and I could see the starter actually flex when under load (even with a bracket on the back end). The Ministarter used the two front holes and had a larger billet plate for mounting, thus it stayed within tolerance even under load.
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #27
whitesswj
Embrace the Redneck

Same price at the dealer for a bracket. I just got one and found out I didn't need it so it's laying around somewhere.

Son, you just can't get there from here...
whitesswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #28
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 463 View Post
Jodie. would you have the part # for the starter that the body shop installed on the sub? just a thought that someone installed the wrong one. heres rock auto link :http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,4152
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50030+2030016
Heres a link to the starter that I have on my truck now. Any comments are appreciated

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #29
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Wrenchbender, than you, thats a little more clear. thanks for the trouble you went thru for me getting that pic.

406 Q-ship, what I was thinkin...

into69z, Im checkin into that now....

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 01-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #30
k5hart

Junkie it looks like that NAPA starter is one of the recommended one's for your truck. It is a TH350 correct?

One other thought I had, have you checked the flywheel bolts? Maybe it's become loose.

Also, after rereading your post it's interesting that the nose on the first starter cracked. Does it look like the flywheel is getting beat up bad by the starter grinding?

Has there been any mechanical work done at all since the last time it started fine (before paint I'm assuming) until now?

If you do want to go to a high torque starter with straight bolt holes I recommend a Skip White starter. They are on Ebay and have a web page here: http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/Default.aspx
I bought one for my 11:1 compression engine and have been very happy with it. Price was very reasonable.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #31
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

THanks again guys! K5hart, yes i have a th350, no I wouldnt have thought to check the fly wheel bolts. To me, my fly wheel looks fine, of course If I was an expert I would be on the "answering" side of this board and not the "asking" side, lol. No there has been major work on my engine since before summer of 2007 it has always started flawlessly, I have never had a problem with it, and it started fine when I left it with them, they started it semi regularly. I dont know if I need to go to high torque or not at this point. Im really quite lost.

Thanks again

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 01-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #32

Jodie. the part # for the starter that the body shop installed on the sub looks ok just a thought that needed to be verified. there still may be a manufactures defect on the stater. found this it's a good read http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/chev...-q-130174.html
Old 01-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #33
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

From my post #5..... I've had new defective starter asm's before. If you can't get a good one from one store try a different one that uses a different manufacturer.

Have you replaced the whole asm yet? Just remember that just cause it's new doesn't mean it's good these days.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #34
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

ok, at the risk of sounding like an iddiot, what is asm?

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 01-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #35
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Everybody hear has good ideas.....before you play with Gomer & Goober & Bubba, Check the clearence for your self If you take a 1/8 " drill bit , & slide the shank end tween the starter shaft & the outside (right next to the teeth on the flexplate), it should fit like a feeler guage IF the starter is shimmed properly. You might roll the flexplate & check 3 or 4 places(as mentioned, it could be out of round). IMO, a GOOD tech shouldnt need more than an hr or 2 to sort that out & fix it(unless it involves dropping the trans & case). If the bolts are twisted, the starter wont sit square....worst case, cracked bolthole on the block(usually outer). Too bad you arent closer to my zip code....I could probably fix it for parts & a 12 pack, or a short bottle of bourbon best of luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCjunkie View Post
ok, at the risk of sounding like an iddiot, what is asm?
thats short for assembly. " the compleat starter assembly"
Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #37
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn View Post
Everybody hear has good ideas.....before you play with Gomer & Goober & Bubba,..........I could probably fix it for parts & a 12 pack, or a short bottle of bourbon best of luck,crazyL
No offense but that sound like a Bubba right there.
Seriously though, we're assuming the clearances are correct but they should be checked first.

GMCjunkie, what I mean by an assembly is the whole starter, drive gear and solenoid complete. Also, make sure all of your connections (wiring) are clean and tight and you have a good ground connection to the battery.

68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #38
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Ok, yes then, I changed the whole asm, lol.

CrazyLH,lol. thats cute. I wish you were closer too, Bubba and Gomer... it aint gonna happen. If I cant figure it out with yalls help, I will have someone I trust come to my house and fix it or it will sit there unfixed. I just got it out of the paint shop, its a rare truck as it is, I dont know or trust any one here or even close by. I cringe at the thought of some tard draggin my truck up on a wrecker and haulin it God knows where to God knows who, to do God knows what. Last time I left it for someone to do repairs on it, I got it back with over 200 joy riding miles on it, a scratch on my bumper (that rusted) and a dent in my fender.

A bad ground could make it grind? Ill be sure to check that too and the measuring with a 1/8 in bit thingie.

Thanks for sticking with me yall. I really cant tell you how much I appreciate it.

junk

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #39
crazy longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
No offense but that sound like a Bubba right there.
Seriously though, we're assuming the clearances are correct but they should be checked first.

GMCjunkie, what I mean by an assembly is the whole starter, drive gear and solenoid complete. Also, make sure all of your connections (wiring) are clean and tight and you have a good ground connection to the battery.

No, this is Willy(Bubba's hillbilly cousin)
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #40
crazy longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCjunkie View Post
Ok, yes then, I changed the whole asm, lol.

CrazyLH,lol. thats cute. I wish you were closer too, Bubba and Gomer... it aint gonna happen. If I cant figure it out with yalls help, I will have someone I trust come to my house and fix it or it will sit there unfixed. I just got it out of the paint shop, its a rare truck as it is, I dont know or trust any one here or even close by. I cringe at the thought of some tard draggin my truck up on a wrecker and haulin it God knows where to God knows who, to do God knows what. Last time I left it for someone to do repairs on it, I got it back with over 200 joy riding miles on it, a scratch on my bumper (that rusted) and a dent in my fender.

A bad ground could make it grind? Ill be sure to check that too and the measuring with a 1/8 in bit thingie.

Thanks for sticking with me yall. I really cant tell you how much I appreciate it.

junk
Its pretty tough for a fat,hairy,smelly old man to be"cute' At any rate, I dont think you have a big dollar issue goin on ....just go with the basics. Check for cracks around the casting on the outer bolt hole,make sure the bolts are not tweeked(if in doubt I replace them). Check the clearance, & be sure to run the front brace on the starter. best of luck,crazyL
Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #41
Jayphus

This sound's all to familier to me. I changed from a 3 speed to a 700R4 went and picked it up and drove it straight to the paint shop. 11 weeks later I picked it up and it hasn't been right since. I changed the starter 3 times did all the shim thing and still nothing. I can install a new starter and crank it right up and run it down the road but when it gets hot it will grind. Or when I'm sitting in my drive start it up around 6 or 7 times then it begins to grind. I still don't know what to do. I talked to a starter rebuild company and they told me that no mater what starter you install it will have the same drive gear asm.All I can say is "Brother I Feel Your Pain"
Jayphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #42
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

Still sounds like the bushing in the nose to me...
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #43
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Starter...again...still..

Posted this awhile back. This starter cranks everytime and it not got any noise. This is my starter and it's one of the best I've seen.
Installed this starter today. It's a stocked shelf item in O-riley auto parts. It's a direct bolt in. Had to trim the shims a little and had to add 3 washers to the bolts to tighten up to the motor. It's got plenty of room between the exhuast to! Just tell them you want a mini starter.
This is a brand new starter.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #44
Jayphus

I don't understand where the mini starter will make any difference. From the bolts to the end of the nose cone is the same as all other 350 starters.
Jayphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #45
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Starter...again...still..

The differance is it's a direct replacement for that heavy ass starter that will work as the factory one with way less weight but the same torque and if you have headers it's even greater.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #46
jrdv

My hobby is 67-72 chevrolet trucks (13). I have never had one grind and I have replaced a lot of starters ( carquest replacements and mini hi-torque ).

My suggestion would be to get another starter and try it.
jrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #47
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Thanks yall, and yes jrdv, thats prolly whats going to happen as soon as I check for and rule out cracks etc.

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #48
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

This may help on the adjustment side of things...sorry it's a bit of a long read.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #49
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

eightbanger, thanks so much for that information. Ok, yall, as soon as the frost melts off the ground, Im going to pull that starter, If Im going to replace it, should I replace it with the same one that I have? Or something different?

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50030+2030016

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #50
my67c20

Have you extended the starter and actually saw were it was grinding? (pinion not extending far enough, zero shims and still to far, etc) Do you have the right flex plate (see thread) http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/chev...hip-48166.html . Have you had someone turn the engine over by hand to see if you are out of round? Could be a sign that the welds holding the ring gear on are cracked.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote