The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #26
charx2

Re: Machine shop wows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
quality machine work costs.

luckily, the chinese have not figured out a way to do this sort of work locally. yet.
Because they are all over here opening chinease buffets! I think they do a much better job working with the generals chicken than working with his motor! If I wanted to eat my motor, I would by it from the chinese.
charx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #27
1quik70

personally, I think you got hosed. I had BOTH heads on my big block done for about the same money, and I thought that was highway robbery! But as long as your happy with the end results, that is all that matters!
1quik70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #28
Lee H

For all new parts, valves, springs, guides, keepers, seats, and machine work that's a good price. New guides and seats and the machine work to install those are driving that cost. Can't compare labor and facility costs here in Cali with other parts of the country.

Now if you want to save a little money, ask for the difference if you decide not to do the hardened seats. If your engine is going to be treated decently and not hotrodded a lot or used for towing you can get by without harded seats. If I where on a tight budget I would not hesitate to opt out of cutting those heads to install hardened seats. That being said, I always opt for hardened seats as I drive my toys like they were stolen.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #29
steelscout
Words under my name

Prices may vary to each region of the shop, supply and demand stuff, just saying.
Posted via Mobile Device
steelscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #30
DT1

[QUOTE=Shane;4474452]quality machine work costs.

You couldn't have said that better. If and when you find a good machine shop you should send them Birthday, Christmas and Valentines day cards every year.

Personally, I'd rather pay a higher price than to do the job over in a few months. I've been there.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #31
BOZO
Old School

I'm a machinist working in manufacturing R & D now, but at the last machining job shop I worked at they had a 3 sided thing called a machinists triangle.One side represented getting it fast, another cheap, and the other quality. You could have any two out of three, but not all three. One head building option hardly ever considered (if the head has bad guides but decent seats) is to buy valves with .015 oversize stems and a compatible reamer. Ream out your existing guides and hand lap the seats. This all can be done at home for less than $150 including the lapping compound. This may sound like a really el cheapo way to do your heads but I did a set of 307 heads about 10 years ago and they are still running strong.
#1 Project...69 Chevy swb Fleetside (Dad's truck)
#2...1983 El Camino SS (Choo Choo Custom)
#3...1974 Datsun truck (4.3L V6/4L60E)
#4...1951 Cadillac Limo (1975 Caddy running gear)
#5...1938 Dodge M38 3/4 ton Military truck
#6...1968 Sportster XLCH trail bike
5 GMC & Chevy parts trucks 68 to 72
Last but not least;
My 1978 Harley Davidson Electraglide
(trusted & reliable companion for the last 30 years)
BOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #32
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZO View Post
I'm a machinist working in manufacturing R & D now, but at the last machining job shop I worked at they had a 3 sided thing called a machinists triangle.One side represented getting it fast, another cheap, and the other quality. You could have any two out of three, but not all three. One head building option hardly ever considered (if the head has bad guides but decent seats) is to buy valves with .015 oversize stems and a compatible reamer. Ream out your existing guides and hand lap the seats. This all can be done at home for less than $150 including the lapping compound. This may sound like a really el cheapo way to do your heads but I did a set of 307 heads about 10 years ago and they are still running strong.
I ran an engine for about 5 years with hand lapped valves. It was still running strong when I sold it. Didn't miss or burn oil. I used the girdle style valve seals.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #33
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZO View Post
One head building option hardly ever considered (if the head has bad guides but decent seats) is to buy valves with .015 oversize stems and a compatible reamer. Ream out your existing guides and hand lap the seats. This all can be done at home for less than $150 including the lapping compound. This may sound like a really el cheapo way to do your heads but I did a set of 307 heads about 10 years ago and they are still running strong.
They used to hand lap valves for years. I wouldn't do it for a race engine, but for a cruiser it would work fine. For the original post, for the amount of work done, and if it was good quality it sounds like you got a fair price.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's

Last edited by Jacfourteen; 02-10-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #34
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quik70 View Post
personally, I think you got hosed. I had BOTH heads on my big block done for about the same money, and I thought that was highway robbery! But as long as your happy with the end results, that is all that matters!
As one said one has to consider that different parts of the country. Some machine worl will be much more expensive than other parts of the country. Such as Ind. and Oh. where things can likely be done for less money than the Wast coaast. Also one gets what one pays for. Quality isn't cheap. JMHO

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #35
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Man, $500 is a great deal! The last common rail head I had crack checked, surfaced, new guides, and new valves with lapping them in was $800. Now add the cost of new valve springs and my time to assemble and clean it. Quality machine work is expensive and hard to get done anymore.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.

Last edited by Dieselwrencher; 02-10-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #36
'70_402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Exactly.

And that is why crate engines are so popular. 1700 dollars at the dealer will get you a 100 percent new 4 bolt main 350 engine. With warranty...

When a guy gets to adding up all of the costs, he's really got to make a decision as to which direction to go with his hard earned dollars. If someone wants a stock engine, crate is a great value.
that's very true, but there is no better feeling than knowing that you personally tourqued every bolt in that motor... it's a notch in the ol belt and some piece of mind...

also a little FYI here, i paid $2,200 for my Brodix aluminum BBC heads.. it was a roller motor and with machine work to block, crank, and some porting to the heads i had almost $1,600 in just machine cost... so you guys are all getting a good deal.. of course mine was a 600 horse street motor.

The BBC heads alone cost more than i paid for the WHOLE truck originally.
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #37
dubds10
Stalker Nate

When I saw $500 I thought that was cheap lol If you guys are getting heads completely redone for anything less than $500 you're just robbing the machinist. I know guys up here who do full porting/polishing etc etc and you're looking at $1000's for these heads.

For $500 I wouldn't be complaining at all

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote