The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #26
MrDude_1

Re: **pissed** kids and their hackjob installs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
This is the "short version?"
Yea. You've never heard me telling an entire story. LOL.

sorry about the language thing.. I copied/pasted it.

as far as the fixing it thing.. nope.
I went under it lastnight with a tape measure.
the passenger side upper control arm mount is somehow 1/2" over from where
it should be. and the rear LCA mount on the drivers side looks to have
been welded back on... but its back on about 1/4" off at the bottom, and
twisted.
As frustrating as it is, I'm just going to take it as a learning
experience and go find another unmolested frame.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #27
57 Jimmy

Father will you be telling the rest of the church this story on Sunday? LOL
57 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #28
runpasthefence

Guess that's another AD truck in Charleston. Whereabouts?
runpasthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #29
Lrall

I normally don't post but this thread prompts one from me. First, I feel for you. Secondly, I am sure this kid screwed up, but not all 'kids' are terrible and screw everything up. Also, to those who say 'its not his fault'...BS, you either take the time to learn, educate yourself, and do it right or DONT DO IT AT ALL. Honestly though, if you were planning on using just the frame and spending your own dough, you probably should have measured and examined the frame first. Kids that want a 'sweet ride' for half the cost and put stupid clear taillights on their trucks ruin this hobby for everyone, give the younger generation a bad rep, and screw over guys like you
Lrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #30
55dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrall View Post
I normally don't post but this thread prompts one from me. First, I feel for you. Secondly, I am sure this kid screwed up, but not all 'kids' are terrible and screw everything up. Also, to those who say 'its not his fault'...BS, you either take the time to learn, educate yourself, and do it right or DONT DO IT AT ALL. Honestly though, if you were planning on using just the frame and spending your own dough, you probably should have measured and examined the frame first. Kids that want a 'sweet ride' for half the cost and put stupid clear taillights on their trucks ruin this hobby for everyone, give the younger generation a bad rep, and screw over guys like you
Lrall whats up dude? your no kid are ya? i would put you in the "younger generation" class. been trying to buy a jaguar for my 56' and the guy selling it can't keep his story straight so i told him to keep it.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #31
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by runpasthefence View Post
Guess that's another AD truck in Charleston. Whereabouts?
near Northwoods Mall in North Charleston... Theres another AD driving around here too.. hes near Otranto road.. but I havent been able to look at it close yet... hes always going the other way. lol.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #32
Lrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55dude View Post
Lrall whats up dude? your no kid are ya? i would put you in the "younger generation" class. been trying to buy a jaguar for my 56' and the guy selling it can't keep his story straight so i told him to keep it.
Eh, seems like everyone keeps calling me a kid, im 21. I agree there is alot of garbage selling that goes on but its not all kids, its everywhere.

As for what I have been up to, well school has really taken over. I am finishing my second semester of junior year in college and starting to find some time to work on the '48 again. Im really excited to get it running. No offense to anyone else doing the swap but it seems I am one of the few/only that is doing a restoration with fully rebuilt suspension, paint, bodywork, new trans/engine etc. I have never lost the excitement and fun in the project, just the time and availability/weather.

Last edited by Lrall; 04-07-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Lrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #33
GMC4wheels71
Account Suspended

Quote:
Eh, seems like everyone keeps calling me a kid, im 21. I agree there is alot of garbage selling that goes on but its not all kids, its everywhere.
Yep, pretty much you're a kid till you're 25 anymore. Longer if you're still in school or live with parents.

Looking back now I know I personally was a kid till about 26 (easy) and by that time I had two businesses go bust.

Back about 100 years ago you were an adult if you could hang a holster on your hips. That was about 12-13.
GMC4wheels71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 AM   #34
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Try finding insurance through one of the classic companies! They will call you a kid for a long time. My son has had his '54 hot rod running since he was 16 but at 18 still can't get collectors insurance because they don't want to do anything until he's 21. Going on my insurance is a PITA because they just want to do PLPD (Liability) so if something happens, its a problem!

Still, enjoy being a kid.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #35
55metalmonkey

ago quod perceptum
(live and learn)... still I feel for ya
I have rarely bought a vehicle where the condition is what I thought it was. Sometimes I’m surprised and it’s better than my first assessment but it’s usually worse. Even cars I crawl over, under and through turn up the odd surprise.

If this guy is as much of a ‘kid’ as you say he might not realise how much of a hack job he did but considering his dad is in the wrecking business he probably did. Eventually Karma will catch up to him …. Always does.

Last edited by 55metalmonkey; 04-08-2011 at 03:12 PM.
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #36
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Had I not had a mentor my enthusiasm to do cool stuff to my vehicles would probably of trumped my abilities and led to me build similarly hacked up jobs. It sucks but on the positive side, at least he was trying, right? I'm glad my uncle stepped in and really gave me some hands on tutoring, something my dad did when he could as well. Some guys, like my friend are left to just work with buddies and learn what he can on his own. His stuff isn't as clean and well done as other people's but he's doing it.

I can understand your frustration though because all "atta boy for trying" aside, he did sell it and you ended up with the mess. Maybe my dad always questioning my interest in buying something that some work had already been done on was founded in a situation like this! Makes me want to buy an S10 for my swap that hasn't been touched!

In ten years he will probably look back on the truck he sold you and know that he screwed you and hopefully feel bad about it with all the experience he's gained in those years! Hell, even with the tutoring I did have, I look at stuff I did even five years ago and laugh at myself!

Good luck either way!

-Panelrodder
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #37
lilpoindexter

so I pop the hood. its not the CPI Vortec V6.. its the TBI V6 (no offense to anyone here with it, but when you expect the cast alum intake decent looking vortec engine, and you see the TBI, its annoying.)

So you didn't even bother to pop the hood, and you're ranting about how you got screwed?
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #38
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpoindexter View Post

so I pop the hood. its not the CPI Vortec V6.. its the TBI V6 (no offense to anyone here with it, but when you expect the cast alum intake decent looking vortec engine, and you see the TBI, its annoying.)

So you didn't even bother to pop the hood, and you're ranting about how you got screwed?
reading comprehension isnt your strong point is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
then i step back and realize.. hmmm wheres my front ground effect bumper? gone. then i see the stereo. gone.
So i TRY to explain to the kid that, "hey, how am i going to get my money out of this heap if you take EVERYTHING from it?"... deaf ears. hes too stupid to understand. he only knows im going to use the frame.. thats all he gets. he cant understand that i was going to part out a decent S10, to fund the cost of the frame and break even (or maybe even profit a little for the work it takes to do all that)
instead, i have an S10 in my driveway with no wheel, a dent in every bodypanel (that it still has), etc.
but..... the price was still cheap enough. I was paying with insurance money that i got from when someone backed into my motorcycle.. and easy come, easy go.. right?... so i take it.
In other words, that is BEFORE i purchased it, when I was looking over what the kid brought over.

now normally id continuously tear into your replies and we would go back and forth... but look at the rest of the replies in this thread. then look at witch forum you're in. Note the maturity of the replies, (and the dates for that matter)... you're not in the right forum...

so dont even bother replying unless its some kind of apology. Because no one is going to reply to you further.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #39
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Sucks about the busted up frame. If you were here in Tx you could have the one I got sitting in the yard.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:33 AM   #40
classicchevyII

lol... kids...!! they just want to make there ride cool but never think safety.

I once worked in a tire shop and there where a datsun lowrider that came in, when i took a good look at the rearend they used a phone book to take the place of drop blocks.I thought O-well at least they have the yellow pages to get some help when it falls apart.
talk about idiots!!

i wonder what happens when it rains...?

and guys this is a very very true story, id jus wish i had a camera at the time.

Last edited by classicchevyII; 05-18-2011 at 01:35 AM.
classicchevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #41
lilpoindexter

Sorry man, excuse my ill manners.

Last edited by lilpoindexter; 05-18-2011 at 09:49 AM.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #42
pockets

Quote:
I know your pain, although I am much older than 21 My dad is into chevelles and has been since before I was born. I went to many a car show with him and even into my 30's a lot of "those" guys would look me at as a kid and dismiss anything I asked or said, no matter how intelligent or correct it was, as a dumb question or statement. It still pisses me off to this day. Not all of them were like that, but most were. Heck a lot of them didn't even like my dad and his chevelle because it wasn't anything close to stock. it is one of the reasons I like the truck crowd even though I'm new to it. Far more diverse and open group. At the recent Good Guys in Texas I asked a gentleman about his blazer that I thought was pretty cool. Guy must have been in late 60's or so and was just eager as could be to talk about it and ask what I was doing and encouraged me to keep it up. That is what I like about this group.

"Kid" is a relative term though. My kids are 20 and late teens now, but as I mentioned, those muscle car guys still look at me as a kid. Besides it isn't just "kids" that screw stuff up. Worse case he knew it was bad and sold it as such. best case he didn't know it was bad or maybe he didn't do it himself and didn't know one way or the other if it was right or wrong and you just got unlucky.

While I'm not defending the seller, it is a pretty broad stroke to say 'those dumb kids' and 'their crap'. It probably wasn't so long ago when many older folk would balk at what you did or even what you do now to you vehicles. a classic 50's truck on an s10 frame? oh the horror!