The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

A couple of photos from my "another cheap electric fan build"

For reasons I'll explain shortly, I decided to replace my stock fan set up and, while searching the forum, found the "another cheap electric fan build". After looking at the options I ordered a fan from moparparts.com for about $70 shipped and a thermostat kit someone had recommended from Jegs (Jegs even gave me a free cap ). My conversion was a little different because I already had a 2" universal aluminum radiator installed with the aluminum shroud and stock fan. With my jigsaw I was able to cut the shroud to fit and got it all installed.

The reason for the switch was due to a pulsing vibration I'd been trying to chase down for several months. I finally determined it was the fan/fan clutch that was causing it. My guess is since these were designed to turn at 4500 RPMs max, spinning them past 6000 RPMs was well past their limits and something has warped. Since electric fans free up HP I decided I had nothing to loose and HP to gain. And so far so good. I rocketed along my county road at 100+MPH and it did just fine on our 90 degree afternoon today.
Attached Images

Last edited by Old Yeller 1970; 04-09-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old Yeller 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote