The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #26
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Re: looking to swap a 6.2L

[QUOTE=ky_kid;4914843]Will a 6.5 Turbo bolt up to my transmission? It's a 4L80E. I found a complete 93 2WD 6.5 TD donor truck with only a bad trans.[/QUOte

What trans is in the donor truck and what trans is in your's?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414892
1tonchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #27
ky_kid

Not sure but I know it's an automatic. I'll have to check... I suppose it has to be the 700-R4 (4L60E) or the 4L80E
Old 09-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #28
ky_kid

It's a 1 ton so hopefully the 4L80E like what I'm currently running
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #29
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky_kid View Post
It's a 1 ton so hopefully the 4L80E like what I'm currently running
Posted via Mobile Device
if it's the same you need the TQ verter out of it. if not you need the Diesel one that matches your trans

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414892
1tonchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #30
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindstromjd View Post
Don't worry about swapping the entire wiring harness; it really is super simple. You won't have any wires left dangling or un-used. There's 3 wires on the injection pump: 1 is the power wire where your power to coil wire goes, and the other two are wired into a single feed coming from the starter and a sensor on the passenger side of the block for the cold start "fast idle" solenoid. You don't need to hook those up. The alternator wires in exactly as your SBC does.
The temperature sensor controlled wire is the HPCA (housing pressure cold advance). HPCA advances the injection timing about 6 degrees when the block is below 125F to make cold starts easier. I would hook it up. The HPCA temperature sensor can be wired to the same power source as the fuel cutoff. If there's a jumper wire to the starter keep it.

Since this is coming from a donor truck... I'd grab the wires from the firewall terminals to the Temp, Oil, Alt, Injection pump, glow plug relay, and AC if you have it. The Packard terminals slide right out of the firewall plug when you release them. Wear gloves the firewall plug is greasy and nasty.

Quote:
You WILL need 2 batteries. Grab the secondary battery mount out of the donor truck while you're in the junkyard. I use 2 Red Top Optima 1000cca batteries in mine.
The original dual battery setup attaches the grounds to the block or heads and the left battery positive to the right battery positive. The right battery positive then goes to the starter.

Quote:
IMPORTANT... I completely forgot about this until just now. Get brand new starter bolts (they're a metric thread, but you can get them at any auto parts store in the self help aisle). I snapped one off inside the block and had a hell of a time drilling it back out. They stretch over time and weaken.
The starter brace (it goes from the tail of the starter to the block) is a must have part. You will break off the bolts without it. There were 2 types of starter braces. The brace for the big old heavy Delco starter is discontinued so junkyard expeditions are the only way you will get this one. GM still has braces for the high torque gear reduction Delco. If you are missing the brace or brace and starter. I would take the opportunity to upgrade to the gear reduction starter GM used on the later 6.5 (95-2000??). It's always a good idea to replace the long bolts.

Last edited by hatzie; 09-24-2011 at 07:50 AM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote