The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #26
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Trying To Finish Shop!

The lighting in there is very nice! Plus you have a very nice place!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #27
Shane
Account Suspended

Thank you Diesel.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #28
ryans69chevy

Hey thanks for the pic Shane! What exact fixtures are you using then? I'm going to pick mine up tom! I'm pretty stoked for that. Hopefully I will be able to get a lot of wiring done this weekend because I finally decided to just put in 30 amp receptacles that will feed a future mig welder (hoping a miller 180) and an air compressor! So that will keep me busy this weekend. I suppose I should maybe try and get some pics taken to show you guys what I'm doing. Wish me luck!
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #29
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Yeah, let's see some pics!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #30
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Something else on lighting.Paint the walls and ceiling white.You will be surprised at how much difference painting them will make in the amount of light.My other suggestion is to buy all one size light fixtures.There's no sense in having to stock two different sizes of bulbs for spares.
I just bought a MillerMatic 211.It's been great so far,I just haven't gotten to use it much.I like that it will run thinner stuff on 110 and can be upped to 220 with just a simple plug swap,then weld up to 5/16ths IIRC.Multiple passes mean you can weld much thicker.
Get the biggest compressor you can.It will make you a supportor of the tool co. once you start speeding things up with impacts.And it will help with the blaster.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #31
ryans69chevy

Hey, thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to get a quote on a miller 180 next week. I just picked up light fixtures today. I got 3 8' with 4 4' lamps in them and 4 4' lamp fixtures. I got more wire today and 2 gang boxes so I got my work cut out for me this weekend!

I checked out a couple air compressors at acme tool crib. Found two I like. I'll look more into that next week and ask some questions about them here!

I'll try and get a couple pics tom when I'm working!

Thanks for following!
Old 07-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #32
ryans69chevy

I remembered pics today while I was working. The second pic you can hopefully see the trench I was digging along the house and the meter socket in the distance.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #33
ryans69chevy

Here are a couple more pics. The first one is the trench where some of it got caved in AGAIN from the heavy rains around here. Luckily this time I had my wire in so I didn't have to re-dig a third time.

The fourth pic shows where the panel is going to go. The last pic shows all the cluter and our future "work benches" haha
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #34
ryans69chevy

This pic shows a vent in the roof the hole is only about 9 inches squared there is another vent same size prob 8 ft down from that one. Hopefully that's going to be enough vents.

Maybe you guys noticed in one of the earlier pics where I'm standing outside and took a pic of the inside that there is water on the floor. I can't figure out why there is always water sitting there. It's a pretty big puddle most of the time. There is one vent above this puddle BUT I just put these vents up about a month ago and the water has always been sitting in a puddle after it rains in that same spot. I can't figure it out. Replaced the garage door weatherstripping on the bottom of the door and took a grinding wheel and made a little more slope so the water flows away from the door rather than sits there and sneaks in.
Water is still getting in somehow!
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #35
Notch1988

It looks like the water might be coming in from between the wall and slab on the side with the extension ladder hanging. How high is the earth on that side? In the first pic the ground doesn't look high on that side but can't see the ground vs your slab.
Notch1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #36
ryans69chevy

Jeeze I never thought of that! I'll have to check that out today. What could I do to stop that leak then?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #37
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Just dig a bit around the slab and slope the water away from the wall.It should be easy to do.If the ground slopes for a long way you may need a better drainage solution but the builder should have told you up front.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #38
hayhauler71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post
Jeeze I never thought of that! I'll have to check that out today. What could I do to stop that leak then?
Install some gutters to keep the water from puddling around the foundation.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #39
ryans69chevy

I'm getting pretty close to getting done with the wiring side of it, but for some reason I got stumped on something. Hopefully you guys can help me out on it. I'm going to install some 8' and 4' t8 lamp fixtures on the ceiling and instead of sheetrock, I'm putting plywood. These lamp fixtures are pretty dang skinny like 4.5-6" wide, so I don't want a big round hole in the ceiling where the wires are splicing. What do I need to put up in the ceiling to protect the wires, but still be up to code? I'm putting insulation up there as well. Is it possible and code worthy to put a nail-on 18.5-20.5 cu/in round box up in the ceiling and have the wires splice into that and then just cut a tiny hole in the plywood so the wires can slide through into the fixture? Am I thinking to hard on this? Maybe I've spent too long trenching...haha I don't want to redo any of this...

Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #40
Shane
Account Suspended

my romex wire is just stapled to the joists ... electrical inspector had no problem with it ... then I took a spade drill and drilled thru the sheetrock to where I wanted the lights and pulled the romex thru. no box. just a hole that is hidden behind the light fixture.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #41
hayhauler71

Quote:
I'm getting pretty close to getting done with the wiring side of it, but for some reason I got stumped on something. Hopefully you guys can help me out on it. I'm going to install some 8' and 4' t8 lamp fixtures on the ceiling and instead of sheetrock, I'm putting plywood. These lamp fixtures are pretty dang skinny like 4.5-6" wide, so I don't want a big round hole in the ceiling where the wires are splicing. What do I need to put up in the ceiling to protect the wires, but still be up to code? I'm putting insulation up there as well. Is it possible and code worthy to put a nail-on 18.5-20.5 cu/in round box up in the ceiling and have the wires splice into that and then just cut a tiny hole in the plywood so the wires can slide through into the fixture? Am I thinking to hard on this? Maybe I've spent too long trenching...haha I don't want to redo any of this...

Thanks
Remove one of the knock outs on the inside of the fixture and install a romex connector and run the wires to the attic. if fixture has no knock out drill a hole in the fixture that best fits the location and install connector
Old 08-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #42
ryans69chevy

Okay I will do that. But what about splicing? I'm putting two fixtures on one switch so I will have to splice and then run tails into the fixture. The inspector won't care that there is wirenuts splicing wires in the attic without a box?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #43
hayhauler71

Quote:
Okay I will do that. But what about splicing? I'm putting two fixtures on one switch so I will have to splice and then run tails into the fixture. The inspector won't care that there is wirenuts splicing wires in the attic without a box?
splice in the fixture and run the wire to the next fixture or use a piece of emt conduit exposed to connect the fixtures
Old 08-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #44
ryans69chevy

Friday night I finally got power in the detached garage! It was a good feeling! Everything works good so far. I'am going to try and get it inspected this week and hopefully start the cleaning process next weekend!

What size plywood would be good to put up on the walls and ceilings?

I'll try and take some more pics soon and post them!

Thanks
Old 08-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #45
Shane
Account Suspended

I recommend using drywall for your walls and ceiling. it's cheaper and gives a lot more fire protection than OSB or plywood.

It's also against certain building codes to use plywood or OSB as a finished wall and if you have to have a final inspect then that may be something to think about.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #46
Notch1988

Being a detached garage I'd be surprised if plywood or OSB isn't allowed for firecode reasons.
I did 1/2" plywood on the walls and ceiling. If I did it over again I'd probably do drywall on the ceiling and just plywood the walls. The trade off is that the plywood takes much longer to install as cuts need to be made with saws rather than knives, but the finish was quick as I just siliconed the joints and painted. I'd rather work a saw than mud/tape/sand for days. I highly recommend a rotozip as well.

Notch1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #47
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice Notch1988!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #48
ryans69chevy

It is okay to put plywood in a detached garage. I wouldn't want to put drywall up because if something swings into the wall, I don't want to fix a big hole! haha

Dang that shop looks awesome! I will prob just do plywood all over including the ceiling since I don't have hardly anything to cut around and it's just a two stall garage so it won't be that bad!

What made you want to do 1/2"? I'm just wondering if I should do that or save a little money and get 7/16"? I plan on putting up some shelves, but I would hit the stud, so it wouldn't really matter right??

Thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #49
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I put 1/2" plywood on my walls for extra strength, and so I could hang stuff where ever. Plus, dry wall doesn't like moisture at all and greasy engines and engine bays get power washed in our shop all the time.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #50
mbgmike

it shore is pretty
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote