The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #26
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Re: Still riding around with non-power, all drum brakes ?

My 69 stepside still has all 4 drums and no power. I've been daily driving it since 1997 and never had a problem with it. I don't find it hard to stop at all but I don't have any of the wussy new cars to spoil me, I only drive real cars/trucks. Ha Ha.

I picked up a power booster about 6 months ago but it's still on the garage floor. Might put that in someday...

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #27
Steve Hafner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs409 View Post
My 69 stepside still has all 4 drums and no power. I've been daily driving it since 1997 and never had a problem with it. I don't find it hard to stop at all but I don't have any of the wussy new cars to spoil me, I only drive real cars/trucks. Ha Ha.

I picked up a power booster about 6 months ago but it's still on the garage floor. Might put that in someday...
You'll see a difference when you install that booster !!!

Life is short . . . we only have, right now.

. . . .

My 70 C-10's BUILD THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475526
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #28
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Talking Re: Still riding around with non-power, all drum brakes ?

I don't know, I have fairly strong legs.

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #29
PatrickGMC70

4 wheel drums, no power for me. I've never had any issues, but I don't drive it daily or over large grades, and the heaviest thing I've had in the bed is my Christmas tree.

I did replace the shoes, a burst rear hardline, and the front rubber hoses.
PatrickGMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #30
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreconstructed1 View Post
I've personally never understood the whole OCD "keeping it stock" thing myself..... .....personally, I like the idea of modern comfort and driveability in a classic package.
I agree, I want my truck to stop faster than the moron in front of me in the Kia or Hyundai texting and completely not paying any attention to whats going on in front of them. It's hydroboosted discs for me!
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #31
JCD

I've noticed no one has mentioned anything about water..

My 65 Corvair is 4 wheel drums, and so is my 69 El Camino.. and even with the lighter weight of the Corvair.. going through a puddle or crossing any deep water during the California rainy season.. these brakes almost fail completely the first try..

It takes a lot of pressure, and several pushes before they'll stop the cars.

J.
1969 SS El Camino
1968 SS RS 396 Camaro
1967 Barracuda Formula S
1965 140/4sp Corvair Monza Convertible

Sorry, but I don't do Fords.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #32
slomotion
Old Duffer

I'm still running the original drums all around, and have always used the transmission and engine to help the brakes because the brakes do fade pretty quickly. I replaced the shoes, and had the drums turned when I got the truck eight years ago. I now have a booster to install, but I want to change all of the lines from the master cylinder right down to the wheel cylinders first. I suspect the hoses may have been changed in the trucks 43 year history, but I'm convinced the hard lines are original. The last thing I want to do is burst a line/hose with the extra pressure.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #33
frednoah
86 Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreconstructed1 View Post
I've personally never understood the whole OCD "keeping it stock" thing myself.
Mine aren't manual drums because that was stock. It is because it was the most cost effective way to safely put the truck on the road. If I ever get to feeling that the drums aren't safe enough to be driving with, I'll convert to discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
I agree, I want my truck to stop faster than the moron in front of me in the Kia or Hyundai texting and completely not paying any attention to whats going on in front of them. It's hydroboosted discs for me!
If you keep a proper following distance and pay attention to your surroundings while you're driving, drum brakes are not an issue. If you want to tailgate the car in front of you at speed on the interstate, you better have one helluva big set of discs to woah up one of these trucks if the Kia in front of you slams on brakes.
frednoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #34
bollybib

The days of leaving one car length per 10 mph of speed between your vehicle and the one in front of you are long gone. These trucks were of that era and one must compensate in today's traffic with their driving skills or their upgraded equipment (or both).

I can't stop so gud, gimme a brake, man

Jim

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #35
RichardJ

>>The days of leaving one car length per 10 mph of speed between your vehicle and the one in front of you are long gone.<<

No one changed the law, it's just that no one is enforcing it. It's called tailgating.If I am going the speed limit or above the speed limit, DO NOT expect me to tailgate the guy in front of me. EXPECT a windshield full of brakelights.

Fast drivers that tailgate cause slow traffic, not slow drivers.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #36
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
>>The days of leaving one car length per 10 mph of speed between your vehicle and the one in front of you are long gone.<<

No one changed the law, it's just that no one is enforcing it. It's called tailgating.If I am going the speed limit or above the speed limit, DO NOT expect me to tailgate the guy in front of me. EXPECT a windshield full of brakelights.

Fast drivers that tailgate cause slow traffic, not slow drivers.
THANK YOU! I really can't stand those people who need to tailgate. It seems most tailgaters are those in late model pickups, and I've seen many swerve in my rear view mirror when I give them a "warning" brake application, so I can't see drums vs disc as an issue, just driving style.
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #37
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by frednoah View Post

If you keep a proper following distance and pay attention to your surroundings while you're driving, drum brakes are not an issue. If you want to tailgate the car in front of you at speed on the interstate, you better have one helluva big set of discs to woah up one of these trucks if the Kia in front of you slams on brakes.
I'm not talking about tailgating, but when someone in a new car that has the latest technology in brakes, is driving and not paying attention to where they're going, sometimes they don't even need a reason to slam on their brakes, they may just think they saw something in front of them, and if you're driving a 4000 plus pound truck with what ammounts to 60 year old technology brakes, it's just not a fair battle. And it's always the guy in the rear that gets screwed.
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:51 AM   #38
PatrickGMC70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
And it's always the guy in the rear that gets screwed.
Better than the other way around
PatrickGMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #39
unreconstructed1
nec absolutum

Quote:
Originally Posted by frednoah View Post
Mine aren't manual drums because that was stock. It is because it was the most cost effective way to safely put the truck on the road.
I never said that there was anything wrong with manual drums, my 67 still has them for now. What I'm talking about is the folks that act like modifying a truck is a mortal sin. Some folks take it a little overboard. That's why any time you see a thread about the best way to do this or that there is always the ones whose answer is "don't".
Posted via Mobile Device

1967 GMC C1500 LWB 250/3 on the tree-
1969 Chevy C/10 SWB 350/TH350
1996 Chevy Silverado LWB 350/4L60E
1997 Chevy K2500 350/4L80E
unreconstructed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #40
bollybib

like ls1nova71 said.

That's what I was getting at in my Post #34.

Have a nice day.

Jim

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #41
bigsnookmaster

4 wheel discs for me, and I will never have anything but that on an old truck! With all the negative I've heard on this site about putting used seatbelts in our trucks, if you have real good brakes, that takes alot of the problems out of the picture. I'm not slamming anyone, and I love this site, but if you care about yourself, and your loved ones, upgrade your brakes when you can.You will never regret it! .02
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #42
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnookmaster View Post
4 wheel discs for me, and I will never have anything but that on an old truck! With all the negative I've heard on this site about putting used seatbelts in our trucks, if you have real good brakes, that takes alot of the problems out of the picture. I'm not slamming anyone, and I love this site, but if you care about yourself, and your loved ones, upgrade your brakes when you can.You will never regret it! .02
I'm with greg on this one, disks for me too.
I've had the Princess on the cell phone pull right out in front of me in my 70 GMC more than once. If I would have been driving my 67 c20 Slant Back they would have been hood ornaments!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #43
steelhorse

I walked into the scrapyard and walked out with a complete disc brake setup from an 87 C10 for $40.The guy had been driving it 3 days before when the engine went out.I got everything from the brake hoses out and took the outer tie rods.It took me a couple of hours to have them in and align it.Probably the best $40 I have spent in a while.Dont forget new ball joints though.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #44
GRX

Well said about having to drive drums differently. Pulsating to help prevent heat fade ... riding the brakes in the rain to dry them after running through a puddle ... all essential skills lost to modern auto owners.

Having said that, I have no trouble stopping my heavy long bed stepper with manual drum all around. But I'm used to it. And I spent the time to rebuild my entire braking system, home-made steel lines & all. Have had rusty steel lines blow during panic stop in a couple muscle cars years ago. No chances any more. Stopping is good!!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #45
BluTrukker
BOHICA

I guess I need to update from my earlier post. Sunday night my wife and I went to a graduation and decided to take the 68, since it was mostly paved back roads to get there. not 5 miles from my house we top a small hill and there is some idiots in a honda PARKED in the middle of our lane looking at some cows out in a field (that is the only reason I could come up with). There was a car coming in the other lane, so I had to stand on the binders. Locked all 4 wheels and got stopped just in time. I guess when they heard all the tire screeching and smoke they figured maybe they had better get moving, cause they put it in gear and took off. So I can now say I have done a panic stop with 4 wheel drums. I don't know if disk would have helped or not, once the tires are locked, disks couldn't lock them up any tighter. The moral of the story is this: If you want to sit in your car and stare at cows like they are some mythical creature, please pull on to the shoulder!

Last edited by BluTrukker; 06-13-2011 at 04:38 PM.
BluTrukker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #46
Steve Hafner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluTrukker View Post
I guess I need to update from my earlier post. Sunday night my wife and I went to a graduation and decided to take the 68, since it was mostly paved back roads to get there. not 5 miles from my house we top a small hill and there is some idiots in a honda PARKED in the middle of our lane looking at some cows out in a field (that is the only reason I could come up with). There was a car coming in the other lane, so I had to stand on the binders. Locked all 4 wheels and got stopped just in time. I guess when they heard all the tire screeching and smoke they figured maybe they had better get moving, cause they put it in gear and took off. So I can now say I have done a panic stop with 4 wheel drums. I don't know if disk would have helped or not, once the tires are locked, disks couldn't lock them up any tighter. The moral of the story is this: If you want to sit in your car and stare at cows like they are some mythical creature, please pull on to the shoulder!
It would have stopped in the same distance with the front "disc's" locked up too - but it would have taken LESS EFFORT to push the pedal down !!! :-)

Life is short . . . we only have, right now.

. . . .

My 70 C-10's BUILD THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475526
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #47
JJorgensen52
Simple? What's simple?

I drove my truck about 4k with non power brakes, but I regularly haul fairly heavy loads and the first time I got cut off in traffic with 1500lbs behind me I put power brakes at the top of my list. A C10 with bigger tires can't even lock up the wheels with manual brakes. I have a 3/4T booster now and it stops like a champ - front discs next up on my list.
'66 Impala SS convertible 327-QJet-glide (4 speed swap one of these days...) Photos
'69 CST/10 4x4 SWB Stepper 350 2bbl - NV4500/NP241C (Broken Truck!)
'72 Sierra Grande 2WD LWB fleetside 350-TH350 Refresh
'99 K2500 Silverado RCLB 5.7 Vortec - NV4500/NP241C (Daily)
'99 K2500 Suburban 7.4 Vortec - NV4500/NP246 (still working out the bugs)
SOLD
'71 Custom/10 2WD LWB fleetside - '72 GMC K/3500 Dually (Sold to redryder)
JJorgensen52 is offline   Reply With Quote