The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Steering Column assistance needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugger_Orange View Post
Thanks LockDoc,
The penetrating oil did the trick. I was shifting within minutes! I still need to take apart the turn signal housing cause when I pulled the shifter out, I could see some sort of loose debris in there. I couldn't tell what it was but it looked metallic :-( I used Purple Extreme. It's the only penetrating oil I've ever used. I don't know if all of them work as well as PEx but I've used 3 drops of that stuff to unlock a seized crescent wrench in the past.

I think I may have the same issue as FLCustom10 cause my lower bearing (1) does not go up inside the tube either. There is about an inch of slack in the column so something is not fitted properly. In the pic, I've pulled the shaft towards me (while seated) as far as possible and it still doesn't close the gap. I've yet to take off the entire assembly as my main concern was getting it to shift. I degreased the engine last night (after taking the pic) so I'll take another look tonight.

How tight should the nut (2) be? When I bought the truck it was very loose although it held. Does it just need to be tight enough to hold the arm (3) in the hole in the bolt (4) or should I crank it down?

Lastly, the arm (3) is not perfectly straight? Should I be concerned with this if I'm not having trouble shifting?

Thanks for the help.
I think you are missing the tension spring. Look at post #6 it shows a good pic of the large washer, spring, and lower bearing. The spring holds the bearing in.

The nut on the shifter rod pivot needs to be snugged up pretty good so the rod doesn't slip but don't twist it off. Put the shifter in Park, the trans in Park and tighten it up. The TH400 rods are straight and the TH350 rods have a bend in them.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #27
Hugger_Orange

The spring is there... it's just hard to see in that pic.

Good to know about the nut. It was considerably more loose than your recommendation and it still held the shifting rod but I have tightened it up snug.

I have a TH350 so that explains the bend. You are full of useful information!

I just joined 67-72chevy forum yesterday and I'm loving it. One problem posed, one problem solved. Two questions posed, two question solved and last but not least, one problem I didn't know I had, one problem I didn't know I had now solved.... all in the same thread. Nice.

Thanks again.
Hugger_Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #28
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Subscribed because there's some great info in this thread and my column has a little back and forth play (forward and back) that I would one day like to resolve.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #29
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrankMc View Post
A preload setting? I am about to tackle replacing the upper and lower bearings, the new ones are actually sitting here staring at me as I type. It's not a simple yank old one/install new one process?

Thanks LockDoc
I guess I missed your question. It is pretty much just take the old ones out, clean everything up and install the new ones. When putting it back together you just have to put some upward pressure on the intermediate flex joint while someone holds down on the steering wheel to get the preload on the bearing retainer spring, then tighten the clamp. Like I said earlier the preload distance depends on the year of your truck. The preload distance is measured between the large washer and the bottom of the bearing where the spring is. On a '67 the distance is 7/8".

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #30
DT1

I just got my lower bearing kit last night and installed it today. Very simple. All I had to do was lower the steering box and disconnect the shaft. I cleaned up all of the nuts, bolts, installed the bearing, retainer and spring, then preloaded it and put the box back on. No more grindey grind. If anyone needs Pics, let me know.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:42 PM   #31
sambudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
I just got my lower bearing kit last night and installed it today. Very simple. All I had to do was lower the steering box and disconnect the shaft. I cleaned up all of the nuts, bolts, installed the bearing, retainer and spring, then preloaded it and put the box back on. No more grindey grind. If anyone needs Pics, let me know.
What did you have to do with the preload on the bottom bearing?

Upgrades: Power Steering
.......................____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
sambudo is offline   Reply With Quote