The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #26
Wheelie

Re: Electric Fan/Relay......Need some help!!!!

If you can ground the temp sender wire and it works your wiring is correct. Either you have an air pocket or your dash temp gauge is inaccurate and 99% of aftermarket senders for guages are off usually on the high side showing higher than actual temp.(which can be repaired with resistors from radio shack, if you want to know how to figure out which resistor let me know) When I install these fan relay kits I use an infrared thermometer on the t-stat housing to verify and not go by the dash gauge. Also when i fill up the cars with coolant I use a coolant funnel (google it, they are usually yellow) that allows the system to "burp" while it is running.
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #27
rhodog77

Alright Guys,

Here is the deal. I just tested the original sender (the new one is still in the intake) and followed DWCSR's testing instructions (much better than using the boiling water trick.)

I clipped a lead wire from the ground side of the battery to the top termimal of the sensor. Then I clipped a wire from the case of the sensor to the clip of my test light. I connected a lead wire from my battery to the base of my test light. I placed them in a cold oven and turned it on. Ran the temp up and .........the light turned on. Now I know that the sensor works....proven!!!!!

Im going to place it in the block today and hope it works. Like I said if it doesnt, Im installing a switch. Here are few pics if it helps anyone.

Thanks for everyones help and advice. I hope somone else can learn something from this thread and hopefully save someone some stress as well. I know this...I recommend everyone test their senders before installing them. Im sure that its common sense to some but a rookie like me it was not. Install it and hoped it work......dumb dumb dumb!!!

Thanks again!!!
Attached Images

1970 P10 Stepvan
rhodog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #28
99 to Life

What I would do is eliminate variables. You are confident you have it wired correctly, well for the most part.

1. I would put your sender in the block asap. See if that does it.

2. I would bypass your switch and relay dual set up you got. Meaning just
hook up your grey wire to the "brown" wire on your diagram. Eliminate the switch. For now.

You are using the EZ wiring so their wire is "grey" that hooks to fan. You are running a switch and running a relay. So I'd just focus on the relay part.

lastly I would check the amperage on your fan. make sure you don't have a relay that is too large.

What are you using as far as temp reading? What gauges? My relay is a 185 and my fan kicks on about there and I run steady at that temp. So my gauge is reading right, and it is located in the manifold.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #29
JPH

I just install this set up on my truck and have had no problems so far.
Do you have the brown wire on the relay connected to the IGN and if so are you sure it’s getting power?

http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j328/54chevy3100/
JPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #30
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodog77 View Post
Alright Guys,

Here is the deal. I just tested the original sender (the new one is still in the intake) and followed DWCSR's testing instructions (much better than using the boiling water trick.)

I clipped a lead wire from the ground side of the battery to the top termimal of the sensor. Then I clipped a wire from the case of the sensor to the clip of my test light. I connected a lead wire from my battery to the base of my test light. I placed them in a cold oven and turned it on. Ran the temp up and .........the light turned on. Now I know that the sensor works....proven!!!!!

Im going to place it in the block today and hope it works. Like I said if it doesnt, Im installing a switch. Here are few pics if it helps anyone.

Thanks for everyones help and advice. I hope somone else can learn something from this thread and hopefully save someone some stress as well. I know this...I recommend everyone test their senders before installing them. Im sure that its common sense to some but a rookie like me it was not. Install it and hoped it work......dumb dumb dumb!!!

Thanks again!!!

Did you note the temp it came on at? We also get switches that are supposed to be 180 and come on at 220. These switches do have a +/- of about 8* better ones have a +/- of 4*. Another thing is not to twist the top terminal it will damage the contacts inside.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #31
rhodog77

dwcsr,

The temp switch opened up about 205 degrees. I tested it a few times to make sure. It opened/closed right at 205 each time. Im fine with that. I got held up today with getting it in the block. I can not get the plug out of the head. I tried and tried and tried. The plug has a square hole, 3/8 in size. My 3/8 socket extension fit perfect but that sucker is in there. I think that Im finished with the relay. Im picking up a switch tomorrow. Im a bit disappointed...I have wired this whole thing and I hate to let one of the last things beat me!!

JPH,
I have everything wired correctly. I checked all the wires with the IGN on and off to make sure that it was right. Im pretty sure that its down to the sensor now.

Im running TPI guages. I checked the temp at the water jacket, intake and radiator hoses with an inferad therm gun....they were all very close to the temp gauge reading. I dont have any switch hooked up right now. Its all on through the relay. I guess that if I ever did this again, I would put both the temp gauge sender and the fan relay sensor in the same locations. Both in the block or both in the manifold.

1970 P10 Stepvan
rhodog77 is offline   Reply With Quote