The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #26
OhOneWS6

Re: Glove Box Deep Thoughts

This thread went a different direction but I bet that glove box was installed on the back of the dash before the dash was installed in the truck. Seems to me that would explain the way it is assembled.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #27
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
I'd rather have 300 blue collar jobs here in the US, than one greedy executive sucking the company dry.
I agree. In a perfect world, we would have American corporations with American management, American designers & engineers, and American workers assembling American-built components on American soil.

We all know it's not a perfect world. If I had to choose between the two, I would prefer having large numbers of Americans employed building foreign-branded vehicles than large numbers of Mexicans or Canadians building American-branded vehicles.

It all boils down to more paychecks for more American workers vs more unemployment & public assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhOneWS6 View Post
This thread went a different direction but I bet that glove box was installed on the back of the dash before the dash was installed in the truck. Seems to me that would explain the way it is assembled.
Sounds right to me!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #28
Mike Bradbury

My Ponderings;
Why has my high school that I went to 25 years ago gotten rid of the metal shop, the wood shop, and most of the auto tech shop to make room for the new computer lab, and football teams work out facility?
Who is going to build America? You cannot ship a completed building over seas.

Seeing the worker in the video dropping a single rivet in the frame rail only to wait for another to come by made me think how much did he make to do that job? Vs how much the the two guys playing on there PS2 are making and will make for 30 years after they retire?

There were no computers controlling where the cars started and stopped on the line, all the holes lined up and the machines punched and stamped in the same place every time. I know that todays vehicles are much more precise, but it was amazing to see how much automation happened with out the use of one CNC machine, laser locater, or robot that is programed for multitasking.

I would like to see a follow up video on the making of the machines that make the cars.

That factory was incredible, and the amount of workers that were employed to complete a single car. I wonder how many they made in a day compared to todays standard.

And last but not least;
Why did they make glove boxes out of cardboard in the first place? Mine fell apart like wet graham crackers when I tried to remove it.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583

Last edited by Mike Bradbury; 08-14-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #29
gferris5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post
Ordered!! thanks for this gferris5.
Sweet!! Please let me know what you think. I read for a living (well, more or less) and that book is amazing. (sorry if I hijacked the thread, I thought it was on topic...)