The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #26
Thrmn8r

Re: 68 GMC LS1 Conversion ** HELP ME or SHOOT ME **

Ok party peeps.. I am back !! So close.. and fed up I can taste it.
I am ready for fluid this weekend.. and then put hte battery in and go for broke. Whomever had this swap idea needs to be shot !
Even with all the help, web sites, mechanics that think they know how to do this, every one of these swaps are unique. No one tells you of all the FAB that has to be done... I finally came to the conclusion that when I got stuck.. I did not look for a part already made.. I just figured it out and made it my self. Lots of nay sayers out there have told me severthings could not be done, but they do not know me, because I did it. everything works. .so far, we will know more after this weekend.
When is all said and done I may write a book on this.. haha.. cuz I have more stories and billins of pics from along the way.
ANYWAYS.. still need tad bit more help !!

Only unanswered question I have is this.
I have done the full swap over, LS1 & 4L60E tranny, and had my wiring harness disected, and it is all hooked up.
My question is this.
The old wires that are on the front end wiring harness that went to the old altenator.. where do I hook them up.
I know one is a ground wire.. no biggy, one is a possitive wire that went back to the battery ( which the new wiring harness and altenator have), but the old positive wire ran back to the battery too.
Biggest question is the 2 wire plug connector that still has 2 wires that go back to the voltage regulator on the radiator support wall.
I would imagine that they need to be incorperated into the new harness some how.. BUT WHERE ??
PLEASE HELP SOOOOOON ..
Attached Images

Thrmn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #27
mrhino
Account Suspended

Its been awhile. I had to go back through your thread to remind myself. to answer your question. your LS harness should be self contained. meaning you should no be using any of the engine harness from the old engine. Did you use a plug n play harness or a modified one from a stock 5.3 either way i don't think you need to use the old alternator wires.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #28
MikeCofield

Hook old red battery wire to post on alternator and disregard the rest of the wires(cut them out of factory loom you will not use them or tape them up and hide in wire loom)

Vroom vroom
Posted via Mobile Device
MikeCofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #29
Dubnova

Can't really give you much help on the ls truck install but, I just went through the same deal with my 67 nova w/ t56 6 speed and I can tell you that it will be the bomb when you are done. Hang in there and take your time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dubnova is offline   Reply With Quote