The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #26
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Re: Has the Bad Economy Hit Ebay Motors?

I'm unsubbing from this thread. When they take a turn like this, it never seems to get better.

Best to you...See some of you elsewhere on this BEST FORUM GOING.
But always a rat.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #27
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

Ebay has took a big hit, I tried to sell a 72 C20 all original running with mod job eagle stripes and it only brought $1200 (not even close to my price of $3500), I GUARANTEE I could part it out for twice that easily, maybe even close to $3000. I sometimes buy parts trucks for more than $1200. Its crazy, I see trucks listed everywhere for more than I'm wanting and aren't half the trucks. I agree with some of the guys C20's don't sell the best
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #28
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Green Jeans View Post
Wow...You should just come out and call me a thief. Your good at insults So lets set this straight little John.
Story 100% True.. You don't believe it..don't care.
Why so much work...When you got your GED they may have gone over math, and like most I wanted to put some money or fixup my truck..oh sorry, I guess you don't do that .
No Rust ever? You need to get out of the rust belt
12 Feedback as a seller? Yeah, I'm not a seller... barely use ebay, should burn in hell.
Ebay payment stuff..umm barely use ebay, not a seller,this is my personnel truck.
Yes, I had 87 Watchers ..What the hell "see who is gonna get took??
Why did you need to be so negative?? To be honest, i wanted to see other peoples take on ebay because ahhh "I barely use it" But you basically attacked me for no reason. You don't know me? Is this how this site works?? I'm on another site where we all talk Classic Chevies and we help each other, I don't get it. You want to rip on my truck..fine whatever. You don't like my Seller standing on Ebay kind of fishy..good because I'm not a seller.Question my story? Your something else.
Again, I thought this site was something cool, As you can see I don't post, been a member for a while. Last week asked what people think of classifieds and got great response on how special everyone is and you all help each other out.hmmmm. John showed me thats not so true.
Dont let one persons opinion ruin your judgment of the website. This forum is great and most of us will help you and if we dont know the answer we will help you find it together.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
Old 09-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #29
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

I would have to agree with big al.

Don't judge all of us from one poster's opinion.

While some of what that guy was saying has merit, it does not mean we all agree with him.

Most of the others are saying that long wheel base truck sell better than long ones. While that maybe true that was not the subject of your thread.

And while I would agree that the economy has hit ebay and everyone else rather badly it will only get better.

I hope posting this has not jaded you into thinking we are all 'bad' people here.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #30
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
Dont let one persons opinion ruin your judgment of the website. This forum is great and most of us will help you and if we dont know the answer we will help you find it together.
very true.

87-Silverado Static Drop 5/7" Raceline Explosion 5 22X8.5 (F) 22X10 (R)
hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #31
leddzepp

This is the best site on the web. Don't get upset just because folks tell you what you don't want to hear.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
Old 09-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #32
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

MR.GREEN personally i dont like e-rape either. i buy, but not sell anymore. they take a % of what you sell and a % for listing and even if it dosent sell. not sure how vehicles work on there so be careful next thing you know you get an invoice. i sold two of my other vehicles in the same week on craigslist and kept every $. when someone sees the vehicle they can appreciate it more than pictures. maybe you can give that a try and see what happens. OR why not try to sell it on the board?

87-Silverado Static Drop 5/7" Raceline Explosion 5 22X8.5 (F) 22X10 (R)
hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #33
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Quote:
Wow...You should just come out and call me a thief. Your good at insults So lets set this straight little John.
Why so much work...When you got your GED they may have gone over math, and like most I wanted to put some money or fixup my truck..oh sorry, I guess you don't do that .
12 Feedback as a seller? Yeah, I'm not a seller... barely use ebay, should burn in hell.
Ebay payment stuff..umm barely use ebay, not a seller,this is my personnel truck.
Why did you need to be so negative?? To be honest, i wanted to see other peoples take on ebay because ahhh "I barely use it" But you basically attacked me for no reason. You don't know me? Is this how this site works?? I'm on another site where we all talk Classic Chevies and we help each other, I don't get it. You want to rip on my truck..fine whatever. You don't like my Seller standing on Ebay kind of fishy..good because I'm not a seller.Question my story? Your something else.
Again, I thought this site was something cool, As you can see I don't post, been a member for a while. Last week asked what people think of classifieds and got great response on how special everyone is and you all help each other out.hmmmm. John showed me thats not so true.
I think he was trying to explain what "he" as an objective buyer would be seeing in your ad.He didn't seem to be bashing.IIRC he even ended by saying it was a nice truck.Don't take it personally,it was anopinion from someone who has obviously done some E-bay seeling/buying or at least researched it well enough to see the signs that are usually associated with buyer beware.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
Old 09-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #34
69heavychevy

agree with the above post. I think he was just giving you constructive criticism...
Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #35
Lee H

If you can't stand the answer don't ask the question.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #36
Hubscrub
Cruzin

if you ain't hurting for money etc. just drive that thing and enjoy it

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Old 09-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #37
heeroyue2002
fat old dude

i agree with ledzepp and some of the others. there is a very minimal market for c-20's/ they may look perfect and ride like a dream but they just wont fetch what a shortbed will.

if it dont sell, repost it.
if it still dont sell, keep dropping the price, at least as much as u can handle.
if that dont work, well your pretty much SOL.

just because you think your truck is top end it doesnt necessarily mean others will and as stated before, longbeds will take a back seat in this era atm.
Accepting part donations
Old 09-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #38
jtp67-72

Agreeing with last^^^^ 6--but having said that ebay has like everything else slowed WAY down-My suggestion also is to advertise u will sell to overseas buyers--My last 5 cars sold on ebay (I'm not a dealer ) 4 of which went to overseas buyers--All 4 wire transfered in 3 days- best transactions yet-They are the ones spending the $$$$!!! They set up shipping-truck may have to stay a while but they get it done--

Don't get your dander up over the seller part of ebay--WE DO LOOK AT FEEDBACK AS BUYERS-however I would call U or Email if I was a buyer--it will sell -give it time--Longbeds are harder to sell --just a fact...........jim

p.s welcome to the board---my theory----------I learn more in 1 hr on this board than a WEEK anywhere else.......lol
Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #39
6.0 1955

After reading mr. Green jeans comments along with the unnecassary cursing I feel attitude has a lot to do with selling an item. The guys that have replied to your initial post are trying to offer you their opinion of why your truck has not yet sold on eBay. I do not know what your starting bid was on the truck but if you want a true estimate of what those on eBay are willing to pay start the truck out at $1 bid and watch. I'm sure people will bid but probably not what your reserve may be. Finally, if you ask for others opinions of a certain situation please take their comments as constructive criticism and not a slam towards you or your truck. As many stated it is a nice truck but your truck does not have the most desirable options that demand a high dollar return.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #40
71swb4x4

Here is the truck in the trucks for sale section: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...-deluxe&cat=12

It is definitely a nice truck but you don't see many C20's this nice, and that isn't always a good thing. Someone in the market for a nice C20 might have a hard time finding comparable trucks to compare to this one to establish a value. I know when I am shopping for something I look at what a host of people are asking for that product to give me a baseline of what I can expect to pay. I don't think there are many C20's of this caliber out there which makes pricing it very difficult.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #41
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I spent 25 years working at one of the big three auto dealers managing and selling new and used cars and trucks and a few things are always the same. Everything vehicle eventually sells and there is 2 basic reasons a vehicle won't sell one is that its junk (which yours definatly isn't) and the second is that it is overpriced. I am not saying your truck is overpriced but it is worth what you are willing to take and someone is willing to write the check for on any given day. I do agree with the other comments on your truck that there is a much narrower market for C20 longbeds. From personal experience selling on the internet whether its Ebay or an other selling site is always an adventure. I'll finish with a comment we used to say in the car business "There is an a** for every seat ".

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Old 09-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #42
scorchingeng

Hi,

I am new here, so I hope you don't mind me adding my 2 cents.

First, I am spending TONS of money (way more than I know the truck is worth) to try and get my truck even remotely as nice as yours. When you consider that I would have to spend upwards of 40k for a new truck these days, I can put together a very nice classic truck for that kind of money. One might buy a truck for 40k and in 5 years it will be worth half that. You will have lost more money than you put into your truck. Yours is flat out awesome - I would keep it forever. My truck (a 1972 K10) is coming along. I have about 5k above what I paid into it. Is it worth that? No, but I plan to drive it and get my usage out of it.

Now on EBAY! I have bought and sold a lot on ebay, and I can tell you, I would rather be a buyer than a seller even in a good economy. You have to figure that someone needs to buy your truck for 1k less than it's worth right off the bat just to cover vehicle shipping costs. There is almost no-one on ebay looking to pay a fair price. Then, ebay rips you off to boot, so... All I can say is that I have had much better luck with craigslist lately. It doesn't even matter that you post in your city - people looking for what they want search in multiple cities.

Take care.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #43
OJ1988
Just a car guy

As a regular user of ebay, the above comments are spot on.

No one is accusiing you of the thief, but when I see a high listed item, with strong demand,s little feedback, etc... It screams scam.

Obviously in this case it is not. But the people of ebay land do not know.

Take the above advice, lighten up, and enjoy that truck. You will never be able to replace it for what you might sell it for.

They are very rarely worth more to someone else than they are to you.

If you must sell, lower your starting bid, and see what happens.

Again, in most peoples opionions, 3/4 ton longbeds will never be worth close to what a 1/2 ton shortbed would be.
1970 C20 tow rig
Old 09-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #44
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Hey Green.......I think what John was trying to convey and what came out were two different things. He was being blunt as a third party. Certainly could have packaged a few things differently huh? There are far fewer people under promising and over delivering than the opposite. In general, you have to be REALLY careful when buying a high ticket item such as a vehicle on ebay. Pictures alone to go on can hide A LOT. Many to most watchers on ebay are people that are or are thinking about selling the same thing and want to see how yours does as a gauge. Others are just plain curious.

Sadly there are a ton of people selling their stuff WELL BELOW what it's worth which actually brings the market down on that type of item. I am "HP Carburetors" on ebay and I sell anywhere from 200-300 carbs a year. I can certainly say that my sales are the same as they have always been. People are still paying good money for good carbs.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #45
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Personally, I think its a bad time to try to sell anything so dont do it. Secondly, on the point of total number of sales on ebay....I look for sellers with no previous activity, the sellers with 10,000 sales are the ones I look out for(dealers).

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #46
dubds10
Stalker Nate

I'd almost think if that truck was all original to a T then it'd be worth that and more to a collector with such low mileage. Honestly, I see long beds like that go for around $10gs all day long. Rust free, new paint, engine, etc etc. That price it's at right now is a SWB fleetside bed price. I know of 5 SWB which are priced at that right now with new paint, blown built SBC engines, rims etc etc. The market is super tough for completed trucks. I find it easier to sell project trucks that are running/driveable in the $1500-5g range than fully built trucks.

Good luck with the sale, and don't take those comments personal. Nobody here said any insulting things, just perspectives on the situation.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #47
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I will tell you this, if I were looking for a truck even close to yours, I would buy yours, however I would have to see it with my own eyes first, just like you did. Most guys on the East coast and mid west are hurting more financially that folks on the west or southwest. That isnt to say some arent hurting, it's just the economy is better there than elsewhere. Your truck is nicer than any I have seen and the asking price IMO is alot less than if I were to build one like it, I wouldnt buy a vehicle off ebay just for some of the reasons given before, I dont know the seller and I would be afraid of being taken, although it might be a great experience, too many bad guys out there. I sure hope you dont shun this site, because all these guys arent bad at all, some might be a little more shoot from the hip than others but we all shouldnt leave our feelings on our sleeves either, after all were men right?

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Old 09-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #48
CC69Rat

Good luck with your truck, take it easy guys.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
Old 09-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #49
biggestjohn

Quote:
I'm not calling you anything!!! I have been buying and selling on ebay since 1999, and have had mostly good results, but also some bad. I've also seen many shady scams on there. If I thought that you was a crook, I wouldn't have offered advice on how to get better results. Nor was I attacking you, I thought that you might like some insight as to why you got poor results.
Now, if you wish to continue hurling insults, I am more than capable to oblige you, Or you can re-read the post with an open mind. Maybe then you will see that you have alot to learn about selling on ebay, oh and manners!!!!
Closed Thread