The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #26
airbrusher

Re: Wheel spacers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Blaze View Post
would there be an issue where the wheel stud splines in the aluminum might slip if torqued too tight, whereas there is less of a chance of that happening in a steel hub? If the bolt is on, and spinning in the spacer, how would you get the tire off to get to the stud?
you know i never thought of that, def food for thought especially for the non torque wrench boys at the corner store!
airbrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #27
oldspowered67C10

I know this a old thread but Ive just installed my bed and found that I need spacers for the perfect fit. I bought cast wheels with out a choice in backspacing and I need a 1/4 to 3/8 spacer on each side. I was a bit concerned so I asked around and here's what I found.

Seems a lot of people have the idea that the studs actually carry the weight of the vehicle, this isn't the case. All the studs do is clamp the wheel to the hub, its the friction of that clamping force that actually holds the weight of the vehicle. As long as you have enough threads to properly clamp the parts together there wont be any problems.

I think that's how spacers got their bad name, people where installing them w/o installing a longer stud, didn't have enough thread engagement and lost a wheel. Rule of thumb for thread engagement is this, as long as you have the same amount of thread engagement as the bolt diameter you're safe. If you're using 1/2" studs, you need 1/2" thread engagement and so on.

Anyways, that's what I found and who knows?, it might help someone sleep better at night.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 AM   #28
OhioDan

Thumbs up Re: Wheel spacers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
The rear.

95 ftlbs all around.

Have been using this same set-up for 2 yrs. with 1 1/4" spacers without any problems. As far as spacers, they use them in drag racing all the time don't they?
Attached Images

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.

Last edited by OhioDan; 06-04-2012 at 05:38 AM.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #29
andrewmp6

The problem with them is the cheap alum ones most buy not knowing better or they are sold as billet and ain't sometimes,I use to work at a garage i seen for myself 2 different sets i had to cut the lug nuts off because the studs just spun in the adapter,And one set of them the holes for the lugs had opened up he was lucky it didn't fail.Some garages here will no work on anything that has adapters for legal reason.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #30
HotRod C/10

anyone know where to get 1" thick 6 lug to 5 lug adapters at?

-1976 SILVERADO
YUBA GOLD/NEUTRAL (2-TONE)
HotRod C/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #31
oklalawnboy

I've got 1 1/2 inch spacers on my Full size Bronco with 42'' inch tall tires and 5:13 gears. Don't drive it much but plenty enough to have trouble with em if I was going to.
76 Monte Carlo
83 Chevy short wide Silverado
96 Mazda Miata, 2000 Allegro Bus
oklalawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote