The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #26
Sillyoldman

Re: Need some help with noise laws

It's simple. Tell the neighbor that you will change your exhaust system when he starts wearing headphones. When you see that he is wearing headphones do nothing and laugh.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #27
jdheff1982

I am gonna see if things cool down a bit. It's kinda hard to play drums thru headphones. The other neighbor is just being a Dick. He has some hunting he let's out that barks non stop. Damn thing sounds like its nuts are in q vice.

I am gonna get some turn down tips. That will redirect the noise elsewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #28
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

with crappy neighbors, cops are your friend.

I've got a neighbor whos pigs have come and destroyed my gardens repeatedly, I'v e caught the, doing hard drugs in the back corner of my property, They dumped a whole truckload of tires on my side of the fence...

and when i said something about the tires, she came on my side and flipped out on me, saying things like who in the --- are you, you dont EVER tell me ---.

I lost my cool that day, nothing physical but i scared her enough she called the cops... but after the cops talked to me and her, they figured she was the druggy moron and she got reamed good. so far no more problems. it does suck i had to pay to haul off everything they dumped on my side though.

call the cops, be calm, dont cuss (SUPER HARD FOR ME), and dont talk too much smack about the neighbor, just tell them the problem. I'd be willing to bet when the cops goto the other guys house he'll be all mad flipping out and calling you names, etc and looking like a fool.

do be ready however, for the cops to wanna hear your truck run if its brought up.

I don't have the neighborhood problems anymore, as im in the middle of 11 acres, so nobodys telling me nothing about any sounds i make anymore

I saw above one of the posters said he would back in and coast down the street before cranking it up.... I used to do that in my mustang. I'd wait till i was down the street near the neighbors I didnt live nearby and do my warmup in 1st coasting down the hill.

It didnt fix the noise problem, but it shifted it to people farther away i have less contact with

as far as quieting down the truck, smaller pipes will do it (too costly) or quieter mufflers. no chambered mufflers, I'd use a good short turbo. longer or bigger is quieter, so look at the actual sizes each brand sells.
cats will quiet it down a little, but id do a muffler first. nobody can say anything about fumes anyway. all that is, is people are used to these new cars who exhaust has no smell anymore. your trucks probably running fine, it just smells like an old car exhaust. if it has no cats it will stink. mine stinks, i know I've ridden behind it before. my dad wants me to get cats to cut the stink since he hates following me anywhere, i might, might not when i have an exhaust built. im not adding it cuz he said though. all the neighbors really have anyplace to complain about another truck is noise. exhaust and horns.

and if the neighbor ever does do something to your truck, it might benefit you if the cops have his name on file because theyve been out there for complaints against him. makes him LOOK like hes having a little war.

Last edited by 78 Chevyrado; 10-22-2011 at 07:18 PM.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #29
wyattglock

I have the same problem here in Indiana. My neighbors across the street from my driveway throw a fit about how loud my 454 is. I admit, it is pretty healthy! I still havent finished the exhaust, so it is coming out of long tube headers, into a 3 inch x-pipe, and stops at the back of the cab with 2 Summit super turbo mufflers. I am going to run it out past the axle, it just had to get pushed back for a while.
In the meantime, they called the cops on me for noise. The cops talked to me about it, and were satisfied that I wasn't going out of my way to be rude. Then they wrote them a ticket for leaving their late 90's celica on jackstands while it was on the street with the front axles removed. Remarkably, I didn't even have to lose it and tell the cops what a bunch of white trash idiots they were. Haven't heard any more complaints from that side of the street either.

Good luck with your neighbors. Just keep your cool and go easy on them when talking to other neighbors or the cops.
Also, get a couple pieces of exhaust pipe and leave them on the garage floor. That way if the cops show up you can explain that your trying to get the exhaust tweaked, you just haven't had a lot of time.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:18 AM   #30
Pyrotechnic

http://www.jegs.com/p/Car-Chemistry/...44688/10002/-1

Maybe you can slip some of these into your tailpipes? Just add a set screw/bolt to hold them in place. I bet a pair of those 3 disk ones would really really help out and you can always remove them to play. Cheaper than a pair mufflers and removable too.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:39 AM   #31
77chris03

down here...we go loud or dont go at all....lol my street bike is the loudest it can be. wrapped header and 2.5 in straight pipe.........no can...all raw power....

03 silverado.
5.3l cherry bomb extreme 3 in all way back dumped over the axle...sets alarms off on fire up....i like loud....i love to be heard...i love the....we heard you coming 5 mins ago
68 C10 Stepper #1- GONE 68 C10 Stepper #2
1977 Chevy Cheyenne...gone...was my first Chevy
04 Tahoe Z71, 04 Silverado 2500HD, 04 Sierra 2500HD
99 Sierra Stepside, 17 Denali HD, 84 K10
My 1st build-- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=379333
My 2nd build-- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=700310
77chris03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:19 AM   #32
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

The quietest Flowmasters are the 70 series....considerably less interior resonance than 50 series.

Exterior sound deep, mild and mellow tone

Here's the entire line:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #33
jdheff1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
http://www.jegs.com/p/Car-Chemistry/...44688/10002/-1

Maybe you can slip some of these into your tailpipes? Just add a set screw/bolt to hold them in place. I bet a pair of those 3 disk ones would really really help out and you can always remove them to play. Cheaper than a pair mufflers and removable too.
That looks interesting. After further investigation, I found these that seem much easier to install. http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynatech/329/7...oductId=750014
Old 10-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #34
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdheff1982 View Post
That looks interesting. After further investigation, I found these that seem much easier to install. http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynatech/329/7...oductId=750014
Maybe you could make your own cones.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #35
jdheff1982

I don't have any fabrication experience. So, making my own would be out. I have seen that patriot makes cork-screw or augor style slip in baffles that are super cheap. I might do that instead.

EDIT: I just discovered these that I will get end of this week. http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynatech/329/7...oductId=750920. Turn downs with cones already installed.

Last edited by jdheff1982; 10-23-2011 at 02:51 PM.
jdheff1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #36
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdheff1982 View Post
I don't have any fabrication experience. So, making my own would be out. I have seen that patriot makes cork-screw or augor style slip in baffles that are super cheap. I might do that instead.

EDIT: I just discovered these that I will get end of this week. http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynatech/329/7...oductId=750920. Turn downs with cones already installed.
What is Patriot's web address?
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #37
jdheff1982

http://www.jegs.com/p/Patriot-Exhaus...97835/10002/-1
Old 10-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #38
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77chris03 View Post
down here...we go loud or dont go at all....lol my street bike is the loudest it can be. wrapped header and 2.5 in straight pipe.........no can...all raw power....

03 silverado.
5.3l cherry bomb extreme 3 in all way back dumped over the axle...sets alarms off on fire up....i like loud....i love to be heard...i love the....we heard you coming 5 mins ago

Yep -- lots of hillbillies are under the mistaken impression that noise = power

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #39
INSIDIOUS '86

I keep two tampons in the glovebox for my neighbor last time he came over to my place with his son in law and threw a fit and i just smiled threw two tampons at him and told him put them in your ear for ten seconds cause thats all the longer I make noise till im gone for work, after that he hasnt come back lol, ive since took off my bullet mufflers (not realy mufflers just large glasspacks) and baught spintech, they flow better than magnaslow and flowbastards lol while still being quieter....if you buy quiet
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #40
Motodrew

Haha. Good one Streetstar.

Does your exhaust exit at the rear of your truck? If you are dumping them before the rear tires it will help quite a bit to extend them to the back. As for turndown tips, those are usually used to bounce the exhuast off the pavement which really isn't a technique to make it quieter.

'85 Silverado, 4x4, SB 350.

Keep them beavers grinnin' and them wheels a spinnin'!

Motodrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #41
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

i had duals with no tails,dumped under the burb quite loud
went back for tails as i couldn't hear the radio

right now we've had some cars stolen,broken into
i'd know if mine was started(Cherry Bombs).....there is only 2 other v8 GM trucks within ear shot of my house
one across the street ,and one behind.
heck wife says the dog even knows my truck sound over the others too

maybe you need a seafoam treatment lol
show/tell the neighbour your concerned about the fumes lol
by cleaning your internals ....may never complain again........
got any friends with diesels,you can look at buying lol

back a few years i had a neighbour i didn't get along with
saw another car dent his car,still went and told him
I was working on my car and this car hit yours and left
from that point on he would wave hello and sometimes even look under the hood and chat

so maybe try to find a reason to be looking out for your neighbour,
let him know you "saw" something,while out working on the car
but just be civil,even if he isn't...not worth the fight
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #42
big10ratrod77

i personaly think you need some 3 inch cherry bomb glasspacks (or your prefered brand) then you cant hear your neighbour at all...
77 chevy BIG DOOLEY 454/sm-465/14 bolt 4.10s "fully loaded"
73 plymouth duster 225 slant six/230 3 speed/8 1/4 trying to acheve 300 horse six http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3135091
'77 chevy trucks. built to stay tough.
life is short build a hot rod
big10ratrod77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #43
jdheff1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodrew View Post
Haha. Good one Streetstar.

Does your exhaust exit at the rear of your truck? If you are dumping them before the rear tires it will help quite a bit to extend them to the back. As for turndown tips, those are usually used to bounce the exhuast off the pavement which really isn't a technique to make it quieter.
Yeah, I think it does dump before rear axle. The turn down tips will redirect the sound so the neighbors won't get the full effect.

Since the confrontation last week, they have been quieter with their music playing and they haven't been *****ing about the my truck. So, maybe things are good now. I still want the turn downs just to redirect the sound to the ground instead of straight back.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #44
DetroitDan

Streetstar is right. Dont worry about losing horsepower going to a quieter muffler. Chances are you dont have adequate backpressure as it is. Gas engines do require backpressure to be happy, I've seen (and owned) enough smallblocks with headers and 3inch pipe that didn't have enough flow to fill half the exhaust. Only reason the diesel pickup guys get away with running dual 8 inch stacks is because turbo diesels don't need backpressure.
I'd try Magnaflow or Flowmaster 70s. Even regular 40s are betterthan super 40s. Their website offers a lot of audio clips for comparison. And believe it or not, just adding tailpipes will do more than you think. My 82 454 has stock manifolds, 2.5 inch pipe back to the front of the bed, then two Thrush glasspacks. Stupid loud. I started trying to figure out a way to build my own tailpipes, but my hitch is in the way, so all I got done so far is to add an 18 inch 2.5 straightpipe to the back of each glasspack. Still ends ahead of the rear axle, but it is absolutely amazing what a difference that made. Totally different animal now. Barks when you get on it, or let off it, but at idle and at cruising speed it is pretty mellow now. I can only imagine full tailpipes out the back with a 90 to direct one out each side behind the rear wheels will make it very civilized. You've got to have something behind the mufflers, and the longer your pipes are, the more the sound changes for the better.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 AM   #45
Redcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDan View Post
Streetstar is right. Dont worry about losing horsepower going to a quieter muffler. Chances are you dont have adequate backpressure as it is. Gas engines do require backpressure to be happy, I've seen (and owned) enough smallblocks with headers and 3inch pipe that didn't have enough flow to fill half the exhaust.
Absolutely untrue.
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #46
DetroitDan

oh here we go again. Read into it. This has to be at least the third time I have brought up backpressure to have an internet expert slap me down because they read an article in Hotrod that says its not true. What it is, is they have stopped calling it backpressure, because the correct terminology is velocity. Whatever. I still call it backpressure because I always have. At the end of the say it's the same thing. Adjustments made to the engine notwithstanding, an engine with properly sized pipe producing the optimum "velocity" will work more efficiently than a pipe that is too large. But, imo, velocity does become what we all know as backpressure as the rpms increase and the flow becomes higher than what the pipe can move. Here's a little bit I cut from a website discussing engine airflow.
"Some people operate under the misguided notion that wider pipes are more effective at clearing the combustion chamber than narrower pipes. It's not hard to see how this misconception is appealing - wider pipes have the capability to flow more than narrower pipes. So if they have the ability to flow more, why isn't "wider is better" a good rule of thumb for exhaust upgrading? In a word - VELOCITY. I'm sure that all of you have at one time used a garden hose w/o a spray nozzle on it. If you let the water just run unrestricted out of the house it flows at a rather slow rate. However, if you take your finger and cover part of the opening, the water will flow out at a much much faster rate.

The astute exhaust designer knows that you must balance flow capacity with velocity. You want the exhaust gases to exit the chamber and speed along at the highest velocity possible - you want a FAST exhaust stream. If you have two exhaust pulses of equal volume, one in a 2" pipe and one in a 3" pipe, the pulse in the 2" pipe will be traveling considerably FASTER than the pulse in the 3" pipe. While it is true that the narrower the pipe, the higher the velocity of the exiting gases, you want make sure the pipe is wide enough so that there is as little backpressure as possible while maintaining suitable exhaust gas velocity. Backpressure in it's most extreme form can lead to reversion of the exhaust stream - that is to say the exhaust flows backwards, which is not good. The trick is to have a pipe that that is as narrow as possible while having as close to zero backpressure as possible at the RPM range you want your power band to be located at. Exhaust pipe diameters are best suited to a particular RPM range. A smaller pipe diameter will produce higher exhaust velocities at a lower RPM but create unacceptably high amounts of backpressure at high rpm. Thus if your powerband is located 2-3000 RPM you'd want a narrower pipe than if your powerband is located at 8-9000RPM. "
Plenty more where that came from. Keep in mind, we are talking about a street-driven truck with a mild rebuild for power. And, with that engine there is decent adjustablility. All I'm saying is, I don't think his performance will suffer if he goes to a quieter, chambered or turbo muffler, which is what he seemed to be saying he was worried about. In fact I think he would likely gain a little.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #47
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Simple and basic, don't overdo the exhaust system. THe headers are a good thing, the exhaust may be too big if it is a 3" true dual setup. I have a 383 stroker engine in my 84 and my son has a cammed up 350 in his 86 truck. We are running duals off of our headers but we used 2 1/2" pipe with Magnaflow mufflers. The magnaflows have a slightly muffled effect at low RPMs and idle with a harsh "Bark" when you stand on the gas pedal. A change like this will appease the neighbor and the cops. As for the fumes, tell him to get a life, they cannot be that bad if he stays in his yard and out of yours.

I swee you live in Wichita, and so does my son. He has had no issues with his neighbors or the cops. I have seen some rather loud setups cruising the streets and at the local cruise-ins.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #48
BigBlocksRule

Stay away from Blowmasters unless you want your truck to sound like a Buttstain.
Get some cheap turbo muffs, install 'em and be done with it. If it's too loud, particularly in the morning when you're warming it up, you're being rude to ALL of your neighbors, not just the ass. I love the sound of open headers on a healthy engine, but they have no place in a residential area.
Get your stuff in order, then call the law when he plays his loud music game. As long as you're in the wrong, you won't have a leg to stand on if this escalates.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #49
jdheff1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Simple and basic, don't overdo the exhaust system. THe headers are a good thing, the exhaust may be too big if it is a 3" true dual setup. I have a 383 stroker engine in my 84 and my son has a cammed up 350 in his 86 truck. We are running duals off of our headers but we used 2 1/2" pipe with Magnaflow mufflers. The magnaflows have a slightly muffled effect at low RPMs and idle with a harsh "Bark" when you stand on the gas pedal. A change like this will appease the neighbor and the cops. As for the fumes, tell him to get a life, they cannot be that bad if he stays in his yard and out of yours.

I swee you live in Wichita, and so does my son. He has had no issues with his neighbors or the cops. I have seen some rather loud setups cruising the streets and at the local cruise-ins.
Yeah, since I fixed the collector gasket, nobody seems to be complaining anymore. With the aggressive cam the truck has, it had a loud percussion with exhaust leaking at the collector. The truck still rumbles, but not as bad. I am still going to get a pair of turn downs so the sound is redirected.

Also, I am not the only one in my area with a loud vehicle and the cops have not bothered me at all. Even w/o a rear bumper and liscense plate hanging in back window. But as for now, I am broke and will do what I can, when I can.

EDIT> Which is worse, listening to a tuned vehicle or listening to 3 obnoxious dogs barking non-stop?

Last edited by jdheff1982; 10-26-2011 at 12:24 PM.
jdheff1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #50
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

A crossover pipe will also help to mellow the impulses of the exhaust tone, and in most setups add some low end torque. This used to be a big debate, but look under any modern vehicle with true duals and you'll find a crossover pipe. The factories wouldn't waste their time if the crossover didn't do anything.

I'm running 2 1/2 inch Flowmaster super 40's w/properly placed crossover and the tone is a little loud maybe, but not even close to raspy. The regular 40's that I removed have a harsher tone compared to the super 40's deeper tone. I may have lost a little low end torque, but the sound improvement was more than worth it.

Totally agree with DetroitDan...."it's all about velocity", but it's not just the exhaust, it's the entire flowpath from the entrance of the carb all the way to the end of the exhaust. Every component must work together to allow the intake charge as well as the exhaust to move as fast as possible. This all ties in with another problem of a too large of exhaust; "the heat factor". Hot exhaust gases move faster than cooler exhaust gases, overly large exhaust allows the exhaust to cool too rapidly, further reducing velocity. This is one reason you see race motors wrap their exhaust....to keep the heat in the tube, which increases movement of the exhaust.

A good rule of thumb when choosing components is, "a little too small is better than a little too large" ...the only time you need to start making components larger is when the reduced size begins to becomes too much of a restriction; "the volume of flow becomes too large for the size of the component to handle efficiently in the desired rpm range."

If "zero" restriction was better try removing the entire exhaust including the headers and see what the dyno say's ...........

Last edited by RUSHNBOBO; 10-26-2011 at 03:14 PM.
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote