The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #26
Todd68Chevy

Re: Looking at a 1960-61 C70 Firetruck and need advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotruk63 View Post
Thank's for the additional pics and adventure, it's been fun!
Thank you for everything and hopefully the adventure has just began. I have owned a lot of Chevy trucks and at least one of every body style between 1940 and 1998 but I have not owned any from 55-66 so hopefully this will be a new beginning.

I currently own: 1940 Chevy Fire truck (project), 1946 Chevy truck (project), 1946 Chevy 1 Ton pick up, 1953 Chevy school bus (storage area), 1968 Chevy C10 (I have drove for 26 years), 1994 Chevy C2500 (daily driver), 2005 GMC crew cab K2500 (parts hauler) and more trucks for parts.

Last edited by Todd68Chevy; 11-05-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Todd68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #27
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs up Re: Looking at a 1960-61 C70 Firetruck and need advise

Todd,

Those 348's and 409's were bad motors as you may know.
Expensive though....
I had a buddy that had one and was gonna sell to me cheap.
Unmolested and in an Impala.
After doing research on them to have just a stock rebuild kit, machine work, after market goodies..... my wallet flew out of my pocket and smacked me across my face.
They are Torque Monsters......
They were bad to scatter though if you were hard on'em...

The 348's came in 1960 - 1963 Chevy 70, and 80-Series trucks.

I'm not 100% sure on this but if I remember correctly in the some had what they called Special Turbo-Thrust and Special Super Turbo-Thrust.
3x2 barrel's and a 4 barrel carburetors on them.
The one I was looking at was a 4 barrel.

Some goodie links:

http://www.348-409.com/general.html

http://www.348-409.com/faq.html#marine

Yea........ If I had one I couldn't leave it stock. The gearhead in me.

What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #28
C10 - C90 Bill

Todd,

A '60 or '61 Chevy truck may just sell a lot easier than a '40. If no one bought it as a Fire Truck, they may be very well interested in it as a truck to convert (Rollback, Dump, etc) as mentioned earlier, especially with the low mileage.

Bill
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #29
trevota

what trans is in that?
trevota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #30
Todd68Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad62Pro/Street View Post
[B]Todd,

Those 348's and 409's were bad motors as you may know.
Expensive though....
I had a buddy that had one and was gonna sell to me cheap.
Unmolested and in an Impala.
After doing research on them to have just a stock rebuild kit, machine work, after market goodies..... my wallet flew out of my pocket and smacked me across my face.
They are Torque Monsters......
They were bad to scatter though if you were hard on'em...

The 348's came in 1960 - 1963 Chevy 70, and 80-Series trucks.

I'm not 100% sure on this but if I remember correctly in the some had what they called Special Turbo-Thrust and Special Super Turbo-Thrust.
3x2 barrel's and a 4 barrel carburetors on them.
The one I was looking at was a 4 barrel.

Yea........ If I had one I couldn't leave it stock. The gearhead in me.
My plans for the engine for now is to just display it in our barn. My dad and I have an area of our barn for memorbilia, special items, ect. We currently have a Ford Flathead, Buick Nailhead, Small block Chevy, big block Chevy, and a 261 GM 6 cyl. We would also like to find a Hemi. My dad does have a 1962 Chevy Impala small block drag car that it might some day be used for but you are correct, we could build several small block engines for the cost of that engine. Dad has a buddy that runs a nostalgia Super Stock series and I think dad would enjoy being able to run with them when they are local.

This truck actually has a 2 barrel and a governor on it. I was told a long time ago that with the tank full of water the trucks top speed was 50 mph. I always thought that was funny to slow down an emergency vehicle but I guess you have to stop and keep control of it and weighted down that was probably fun at time.

Thanks again for all the information and time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill View Post
Todd,

A '60 or '61 Chevy truck may just sell a lot easier than a '40. If no one bought it as a Fire Truck, they may be very well interested in it as a truck to convert (Rollback, Dump, etc) as mentioned earlier, especially with the low mileage.

Bill
I am not saying I am going to part it out right away but in my area there just is not much demand on these trucks and with fuel cost and lack of hauling abilities, it would be expensive to move very far. In the past the local farmers would buy up the firetrucks, pull the bed off and put a flatbed or grain bed on them but know they all use semis because these trucks can not haul enough. Heck they use flatbed semis to haul their fertilizer and seed anymore because the equiptment has gotten so big. I was mainly checking to see if it has any special options that might add to its value so I could figure out the bid I wanted to make. I know the 67-72 trucks pretty good and what special options are worth something and which ones are not but I just do not know this year of truck. As always the people on this site came through with some great information and I now know more about these truck. Looks like they did come with some neat options and some of them are on this truck. I will keep it posted to what happens if I win the bid on it. Thanks again, all options and opinions are appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevota View Post
what trans is in that?
I think it just has a 4 speed transmission with granny low and a 2 speed rear axle. Other than that I do not know.

I currently own: 1940 Chevy Fire truck (project), 1946 Chevy truck (project), 1946 Chevy 1 Ton pick up, 1953 Chevy school bus (storage area), 1968 Chevy C10 (I have drove for 26 years), 1994 Chevy C2500 (daily driver), 2005 GMC crew cab K2500 (parts hauler) and more trucks for parts.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #31
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

I used to own a 1964 GMC 960 X Pumper unit,which is equivalent to the American 6000 series. Small block 327 with a 7.20 single speed rear end. 55 miles an hour sounded like it just wanted to blow up. I spoke to the volunteer fire department where it was in service and they informed me that in a small county such as there's, the truck was accelerated as quickly as they could go once they got to the fire and aimed it for a water source. Then when the fire was out they'd tow it back onto the road. That's why the tow hooks were bent, trying to rescue the rescue truck from the fields! Ironically the engine compartment caught fire and I had no fire extinguisher to put it out. threw a blanket on the engine and luckily a smarter person than I stopped his truck and let me use his. Lesson learned! Always carry a fire extinguisher with old trucks!

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #32
Todd68Chevy

I just got back from the meeting and I bought a 1961 Chevy Firetruck. I got a bill of sale because they need to find the title (why would they know where that is). Thanks for all the information, advise and comments. I am sure I will have more questions when I figure out what I am going to do with it. Thanks

Old 11-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #33
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Welcome to our side of the board.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #34
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Talking Re: Looking at a 1960-61 C70 Firetruck and need advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68Chevy View Post
My plans for the engine for now is to just display it in our barn. My dad and I have an area of our barn for memorbilia, special items, ect. We currently have a Ford Flathead, Buick Nailhead, Small block Chevy, big block Chevy, and a 261 GM 6 cyl. We would also like to find a Hemi. My dad does have a 1962 Chevy Impala small block drag car that it might some day be used for but you are correct, we could build several small block engines for the cost of that engine. Dad has a buddy that runs a nostalgia Super Stock series and I think dad would enjoy being able to run with them when they are local.

This truck actually has a 2 barrel and a governor on it. I was told a long time ago that with the tank full of water the trucks top speed was 50 mph. I always thought that was funny to slow down an emergency vehicle but I guess you have to stop and keep control of it and weighted down that was probably fun at time.

Thanks again for all the information and time.

I am not saying I am going to part it out right away but in my area there just is not much demand on these trucks and with fuel cost and lack of hauling abilities, it would be expensive to move very far. In the past the local farmers would buy up the firetrucks, pull the bed off and put a flatbed or grain bed on them but know they all use semis because these trucks can not haul enough. Heck they use flatbed semis to haul their fertilizer and seed anymore because the equiptment has gotten so big. I was mainly checking to see if it has any special options that might add to its value so I could figure out the bid I wanted to make. I know the 67-72 trucks pretty good and what special options are worth something and which ones are not but I just do not know this year of truck. As always the people on this site came through with some great information and I now know more about these truck. Looks like they did come with some neat options and some of them are on this truck. I will keep it posted to what happens if I win the bid on it. Thanks again, all options and opinions are appreciated.

I think it just has a 4 speed transmission with granny low and a 2 speed rear axle. Other than that I do not know.
Sounds good bud
If you are looking for more memorbilia and want a AMC motor & trans just let me know.

What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #35
Todd68Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotruk63 View Post
Welcome to our side of the board.
Thanks, I already feel welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad62Pro/Street View Post
Sounds good bud
If you are looking for more memorbilia and want a AMC motor & trans just let me know.

If you were closer it sounds interesting but I think I better pass for now. Thanks again

Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #36
C10 - C90 Bill

Congrats on the purchase. You have an interesting truck.

Bill
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote