The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #26
1leglance

Re: Salt River Canyon & the Self Road Adventure

An interesting thing that happened to us as we traveled our Shelf Road Adventure was how the trail would shift from bone dry dirt to snow packed mud & slush...it all depends on the sun.

But finally we climbed out of the valley and jumped on SR 188 and headed off North to Young, Az in search of fuel for my thirsty rig. Alas this was not to be, there was an Exxon sign at a liquor store but no fuel to be found.

We did get to play in the snow a bit which is about all I need as I am not a cold loving guy.

And lest we get too relaxed on our drive there is always something new and interesting around the corner. In this case it was a big white bull with some serious attitude.

I never regret stopping and reading the roadside boards as the history you learn often gives a new and fresh perspective to an area you would otherwise just motor on through.

We headed back into the mountains looking for a campsite, Waymon had heard of a place called Workman Falls Campground..this sounded very cool as a hike to a water fall is always worth checked out. In the back of my mind I kept thinking, oh boy this could be a very chilly night around the fire.
1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:37 AM   #27
Mr Pops
Ridin' Dirty

Awesome pics! Thanks
1988 V3500 Crewcab
1988 R2500 Crewcab (Mint, Ex Fire Dept)
1968 Chev Suburban (4x4 conversion) LINK
1970 Chev C20 Suburban (driver/cruiser)LINK
2005 Impala (Incognito vehicle)
2004 Yukon XL Denali (Kid hauler)
1947 Case tractor
Facebook Page(1000's of pictures of GM cars and trucks organized into albums)
YouTube Channel
Mr Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #28
1leglance

However when we turned to Workmans Campground we found the Gila Country Search & Rescue out for a scouting trip. They informed us that the campground was buried under 2ft of snow and we should just turn around. Of course that meant we had to go forward and check it out for ourselves. But is was only a short way in and I realized it was smart to turn around before we got stuck with no winch and only basic recovery gear.

At this point we were getting really cold and the thought of camping in the snow & mud just didn't fly with this 1 legged fellow. So south we went and while that meant getting on some asphalt I was getting low on fuel so camping on the way back to Globe was ok with both of us. As we searched out possible sites we were treated so more amazing rock canyons and desert views.

We did find a great spot looking over Roosevelt Lake with enough time to get camp setup and dinner going.

Waymon & Lexi got busy working on the Kodiak Canvas palace and I tossed my sleep pad & bag out into the cavernous back of the Burb.

Now you might remember that on the previous night I made use of a tree stump as my camp chair. But this night I was looking at a big sharp edged rock when I realized my Pelican cases would make an excellent seat. Not bad at all in a pinch.

Waymon is a great cook and a man who likes to eat well when he camps..not a problem for me as I get to enjoy all the yummy stuff he comes up with.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #29
1leglance

Day 3 getting home...
This was our view from camp the next morning and even for a slow am mover like me it was worth stirring from the sleeping bag. We all gather on the web because we share a love of the outdoors and it is times like this that the builds, tech and gear pays for itself.

The canyon off to the side of our camp had a scary, rugged look that would make for many a scary story. But being short on fuel and long on a desire to get moving we held off on trying to hike down. Hey just another reason to come back and explore some more.

Lest you fear that our Shelf Road Adventure was over there was plenty more of it even with the appearance of the blacktop. The road was wider but the views were just as great as the trails yesterday.

We got another last view of the Salt River before it becomes a lake and over the radio we were talking up the idea of coming back for a rafting/camping trip when the water & weather got much warmer. I am looking forward to something like that as it would be a completely new thing for me which is fun when it works out, and interesting even when it doesn't.

After a late breakfast in Globe we agreed that home duties were calling, I wanted to fire up my son's new knife making forge and Waymon has fun things planned around his place but at least we got to enjoy this cool tunnel north of Superior.

And with that the story ends...
But let me add some final thoughts. You will notice I did this trip in an old chuck on iron, running 4 drum brakes, a 350cu V8, and just some basic gear. Even though I have grand plans for this rig I also want to make sure to enjoy it along the way instead of getting stuck on the driveway queen endless build that often happens. So many people are web-wheelers who wait until they have all the gear and planets in alignment before venturing out. Why not just go enjoy the outdoors and figure out your mods as you go?

I look forward to getting back into this part of Arizona again and exploring everything we missed....who wants to join me?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #30
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leglance View Post
And with that the story ends...
But let me add some final thoughts. You will notice I did this trip in an old chuck on iron, running 4 drum brakes, a 350cu V8, and just some basic gear. Even though I have grand plans for this rig I also want to make sure to enjoy it along the way instead of getting stuck on the driveway queen endless build that often happens. So many people are web-wheelers who wait until they have all the gear and planets in alignment before venturing out. Why not just go enjoy the outdoors and figure out your mods as you go?

I look forward to getting back into this part of Arizona again and exploring everything we missed....who wants to join me?
I wanna go, but you know me, I refuse to leave the driveway unless MY truck is waxed and shiny.

Meh, I couldn't type it with a straight face either. You know it is alot easier coming up with reasons to put off an adventure than it is to plan one out and actually go--but nowhere near as fun. I have to admit I just looked at the pics so far, but it looks like a great trip. I do have to ask though, what is a Self Road Adventure?? Is it an introspective journey or something?? Seriously though, nice work on the travel journal, I look forward to spending some quality time ripping off your ideas and using them to plan my own adventure.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #31
1leglance

Yeah thanks to speed typing and no way to edit my post after 30min I am stuck with a self road adventure instead of a SHELF road adventure...either way it was good times.

Nick I am looking forward to getting our burbs & families together out in the dirt and trying to match Dirty Larry & that Colorado crew for trip reports here

The Southwest has so much land to explore, we are better off playing in our beaters than waiting for them to be perfect (like that ever happens).

enjoy!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #32
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leglance View Post
The Southwest has so much land to explore, we are better off playing in our beaters than waiting for them to be perfect (like that ever happens).
Well said Lance.

Again, great write up! Looks like an amazing few days.

Man, I am sure this spot was much worse in real life. Pictures never show justice to the real deal. I absolutely hate running across stuff like this on the trails. Stuff like this is why an old rig is so much better than a Sportsmobile or Earthroamer. There're just too big to go a lot of places. Bet you're glad you got rid of that Ford powerjoke Sportsmobile at times like this
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #33
1leglance

Yeah I cracked a few jokes over the ham radios about how nice & narrow the Suburban is compared to the Sportmobile E350 and how it weighs 1/2 as much

And you are right that pics never do justice to the trail, angle of climb/descent or any of the other fun factors we face.

In all honesty if I had really been concerned about the trail I would have busted out the long handled shovel and done some road leveling.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #34
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Lance- Great report! I heard a lot about the desert run with you, Larry and Bill on an overnighter with Larry a couple of months back. I got to say I mirror your statements about just using what you got and not getting stuck in your own driveway. Mine's not pretty, but it gets me around. Like most I've got grand plans for it, but I'm not going to incapacitate it for any great length.

The burb looks great the way it is. DON'T paint it. Keep doing the little things to make it more reliable and safe for these adventures. Also keep the great reports coming!

I hope to make a run out your way someday with Larry and all. It might be riding with one of the Colorado crew or with my own rig if it's beefed up a little more.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #35
VA72C10
VA72C10

cool pictures and writeup. Thanks for sharing the fun!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #36
coops714x4

Really nice trip, great pics and story, I am glad you shared it with us. I used to drive a semi and have hauled copper out of the mines around Ray and Globe, don't remember the highway number but i went down through it in a semi ONCE, very steep and way curvy going down. I remember there was a tourist spot at the bottom. beautiful country
2014 Street Glide Special
1983 K20 Big Block, auto (work horse)
coops714x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #37
1leglance

Cool to hear from one of the guys who drove those trucks...every time I see how little copper is on the rigs I figure it must really have some weight
Dangerous stuff to drive those road with all the good ball tourist
Old 01-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #38
coyote72

Your trip looks like a lot of fun, thanks for sharing the pictures!

70 Nova 454 5spd 4-link
coyote72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #39
Dunenutt
Newbee

I have spent my entire life in that country! Nice seeing pics and the story.

I am looking foreward to loading up the 69 with some essentials, and doing the same... soon.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #40
splehigh

Looks like a fun trip. I wish we had places like that here in Pa.
splehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:14 AM   #41
1leglance

I don't know how you East Coast folks survive without the wide open spaces we have out west.
As a 4wd person there is nothing like doing a 3-4 day trip all on dirt and hardly seeing another person.