The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #26
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Re: Project Opinion - When its it time to call it quits?

Well, a $2 set of earplugs at the hardware store can solve the noise problem. You can still hear outside sounds, sirens etc. with the plugs on. So, to stop driving it just because of that i don't think is a good move.

All my cars are noisy----i think most of the sound deadening comes actually more from the underlay than the carpet, although the carpet helps alot too. i've had to drive bare floor for a while due to interior flooding.

IF you really can get a runner that needs little to no work and the goal is just to have a 4x4 crewcab then that MIGHT be a good move. HOWEVER, you still have to spend more money getting that ideal truck. Also, how are you so sure you can sell some parts to offset the cost? Spending more money when you say you have none, not a good move. Strike 2.

Why not just continue to drive it and casually make improvements as the budget allows? Why are you in such a hurry to finish?

Maybe put 50% of your net income into it. Keep the other 50% in savings

i remember seeing this truck when you first got it; Had you kept it the way it was, i don't think there would be such a budget crisis now. It was you who choose to make such serious modifications. And i think you miscalulated----the problem isn't the truck----the problem is you overbought.

Personally, i would check the paint to see if it is right because you don't want the "new" cab to rust and just drive it alotting a percentage of income to be put into it. i would personally put 2% to 20% into it. You say it will never get done? You'd be surprised how fast the money will add up if you have a consistent income.

Last edited by C-10 simplex; 01-04-2012 at 11:05 AM.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #27
Mattman2010

So after taking 68 SWB advice of posting what my vision for my truck I have came to the conclusion that for now It would be best just to try to stay as close to stock as I can get. I want to stay with the CCLB dually 4x4 theme I guess you could call it. So I need to find a dana 60 front axle and cross over steering. I want the whole truck to be white (Just need a good bed to paint, I have good doors waiting to be painted but its been to cold lately). As for the interior, I want to find a gray interior. I could post what I want the truck in the end to be in the future, but I think its best to take things one at a time and get to a point I can be happy with it and then i can update things at a later time.

1984 K30 CC Dually - "The Tank"
12V Cummins/Nv4500/Np205/D60/D70HD 4" lift & 37's
Build Thread

1960 C-60 Dump Truck
Make it road worthy!
Thread
Mattman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #28
undr8ed

I've been building GM's for as long as I can remember... Not a SINGLE one has ever gone smooth. It's the nature of the beast. I CAN tell you, when you get to the 'over the hill' part, it's one of the best feelings. I won't recommend it, however I'm the guy with multiple projects going on at the same time. I'm also the guy who, once 'finished,' decides to go further (if it doesn't get sold, lol.)

Stick with it. That's a good base. I've come close to offing projects and marking them up as 'learing' but (fortunately) haven't quit one yet...

Also, after 3 frame off, attempted point restorations, I've found junkyard builds to be: easier, less expensive, and more fun (since you aren't worried about EVERYTHING around your finished product ) Craigslist, yards, and grapevine will get you all the parts you need (eventually,) you just need to keep plugging. Finish small stuff while waiting on parts for the big stuff and vice versa. An hour or two a day adds up REALLY quick after a month or so :biggrin:
Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #29
Mattman2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
Well, a $2 set of earplugs at the hardware store can solve the noise problem. You can still hear outside sounds, sirens etc. with the plugs on. So, to stop driving it just because of that i don't think is a good move.

I know ear plugs will help, but it sucks when several people ride in it and you cant even talk to each other. I have been driving the socks off of this thing without ear plugs, I didn't stop driving it because of that. I quit driving it because my power steering box blew out a new seal and so I have no fluid in my power steering or to assist in brakes (I have hydroboost brakes).

Quote:
All my cars are noisy----i think most of the sound deadening comes actually more from the underlay than the carpet, although the carpet helps alot too. i've had to drive bare floor for a while due to interior flooding.
I bought some dynamat for the truck, and I also need to get some dynapad, i think between the two it would really help quiet down the truck.

Quote:
IF you really can get a runner that needs little to no work and the goal is just to have a 4x4 crewcab then that MIGHT be a good move. HOWEVER, you still have to spend more money getting that ideal truck. Also, how are you so sure you can sell some parts to offset the cost? Spending more money when you say you have none, not a good move. Strike 2.
The thing is if I got another truck I would convert it to 4x4 using parts I already have. I would probably swap over all the new stuff that I had got for my current truck which is where all of my money seems to be setting anyway so all the parts I would probably be selling I wouldnt have all that much money in. As for spending more money when I have none, I still live with my parents, I have less than $200 worth of bills so when I get money I have been spending it all on the truck. If I quit spending it on the truck then I could save money and easily buy another truck.

Quote:
Why not just continue to drive it and casually make improvements as the budget allows? Why are you in such a hurry to finish?
That is the plan, As you can see I have parts on the truck to make it drivable while I get the parts I want ready to put onto the truck. The reason why this even came up was because I finally started putting some miles on it and things started to break that were not cheap and before I went any farther I was wanting to get some advice one whether or not to continue with it.

As for wanting to finish it now. I am getting kind of tired of working on the trucks. Before trucks was guns and I have some gun projects that I have been trying to finish up that I cant when I spend all my money on this truck.

Quote:
Maybe put 50% of your net income into it. Keep the other 50% in savings

i remember seeing this truck when you first got it; Had you kept it the way it was, i don't think there would be such a budget crisis now. It was you who choose to make such serious modifications. And i think you miscalculated----the problem isn't the truck----the problem is you overbought.
Well the thing was when I first bought it I didnt think it was in as bad of shape as it was. Well after I started tearing it apart I started seeing more and more problems so then I have to basically replace my $1100 waste of money. I thought the truck would be easy to fix but it turned out to be nothing more than scrap.

Build Thread

1960 C-60 Dump Truck
Make it road worthy!
Thread
Old 01-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #30
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

The only thing I see you being happy with, is if you find a smoking deal on a crew cab with good interior and take that cab and put on your frame. But good luck. Not many good cabs with good doors and interiors around here anymore. Yes the truck had a run of bad parts lately. This is why I try to replace everything I can when I build a project. Yes it costs more money, but when it's done, you don't have to worry as much about them. Good luck man!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #31
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

Don't give up dude!

Just keep at it a little at a time and put what you need into it to keep it going, before you know it it will be done.

If you quit you will regret it forever!

1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #32
Mattman2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
The only thing I see you being happy with, is if you find a smoking deal on a crew cab with good interior and take that cab and put on your frame. But good luck. Not many good cabs with good doors and interiors around here anymore. Yes the truck had a run of bad parts lately. This is why I try to replace everything I can when I build a project. Yes it costs more money, but when it's done, you don't have to worry as much about them. Good luck man!
Yeah that might be true. I did text a guy I know that sells a ton of parts for these trucks (he has over 30 or more of these trucks in his back field) and he said he is looking at buying a burb to part out that has a good red interior. Bucket seats and all. I dont know the shape of it or the price yet, but I think I might try to get it if i can deal with him. Red is not really want I want, but I think if I have a matching good interior I will be happy. Im not sure how well red works in a white truck either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985-GMC View Post
Don't give up dude!

Just keep at it a little at a time and put what you need into it to keep it going, before you know it it will be done.

If you quit you will regret it forever!

Forever - YouTube
Thanks dude, but your weird....

Just kidding

Ive been thinking about this truck a lot lately. I figure sense I am going to be taking a break I need to figure out exactly what I want so that I can buy parts now and then once I get back into working on it I can jump in and try to get it closer.

I am kind of on the edge of whether or not to keep the truck a dually or just go and convert it to a SRW short bed. I want the truck to be DD friendly, but also be able to haul some stuff if I wanted to. So I am thinking with a short bed that will allow for a better turning radius, and I will still be able to haul stuff. If I need to haul anything bigger I will just pull a trailer. As for why I dont think I need a long bed dually, well turning radius is bad, and it is wide. Im not sure if some of you guys have noticed parking spots are really small and a long bed dually fitting into some parking spots I will be in will probably not end up going to well. So I am thinking about cutting it down and throwing a burb tank in the back.

Build Thread

1960 C-60 Dump Truck
Make it road worthy!
Thread
Old 01-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #33
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman2010 View Post
I am kind of on the edge of whether or not to keep the truck a dually or just go and convert it to a SRW short bed. I want the truck to be DD friendly, but also be able to haul some stuff if I wanted to. So I am thinking with a short bed that will allow for a better turning radius, and I will still be able to haul stuff. If I need to haul anything bigger I will just pull a trailer. As for why I dont think I need a long bed dually, well turning radius is bad, and it is wide. Im not sure if some of you guys have noticed parking spots are really small and a long bed dually fitting into some parking spots I will be in will probably not end up going to well. So I am thinking about cutting it down and throwing a burb tank in the back.
I can tell you I like bringing the 76 in the shop a lot more now that it has an extra 2 feet behind it. Driving it around will for sure be better. And besides, your front is already srw, so you only have to swap the bed and put srw wheels on it for now.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #34
hopelessredneck

or because its a 4x4 put gravel guard(spray in box liner in the floor thats what my brother did to his 84
Attached Images

hopelessredneck is offline   Reply With Quote