The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #26
fishingjred73

Re: child seat ?

To the OP my 2 y/o rides in his car seat in the center with the lap belt holding him while my 7 y/o rides on the passenger side in her booster. As far as I know all the seats are designed to be used with traditional belts since the latch system has only been around for a few years. Follow the pic on the seat and if in doubt go by a fire station or police station and let them check it for you.

As far as adding something for the latch system I hope anybody that has or does this mod, reinforces the mounts where they go through the floorboard, and aren't simply relying on one layer of floorboard to secure the mount.

'68 Stepside (ground up in progress)

My 68 build thread http://louisianaclassictruckclub.fre...side-t956.html

'81 SWB "Pap paw" (Driver)

The 81 build thread http://louisianaclassictruckclub.fre...-swb-t960.html

Member of
www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com

https://www.facebook.com/groups/296290610747732/
fishingjred73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #27
stepsidestumpy

My three year old loves to ride in my square. She calls it her truck now. Ive always used the car seat til she grew out of it and now she rides in a booster seat. I have had a few close calls with fellow motorists that have not payed attention to what they are doin and she has been fine everytime with the car seat and booster seat.
stepsidestumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #28
fm$ kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory d View Post
this is when you find out you never had one and you just crawled around in the truck on the way to the store ha.
so true lol. like it was said above its said to not put a child in the front seat bc of airbags. but in my opinion, ill put my daughter (4yo) in the front seat of my seat unbuckled (i dont do it, im just saying metaphorically) before ill put her in my wifes '12 altima in a steel suit. its a old school square body. you can run them into a brick wall, and just just buff out the scratches later lol
12 Altima - stock and shiny - the wifemobile!
A long time ago an OG once told me a great piece of advice...he said..."if their ain't a lowrider scene where u go....make one"...so I did.
fm$ kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #29
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbildr View Post
I you are using a booster seat might want to pull apart the seat belt retractor and make sure everything works properly. A couple years ago my oldest daughter was riding with me in my 84 Burb. We were cruising on the highway when traffic came to a sudden stop. Long story short I wasn't able to stop (hit the back of a newer F-150) in time and watched helplessly as my daughter hit the dash because the belt didn't lock. Fortunately, she wasn't hurt seriously....just a small bruise.
Posted via Mobile Device
I added new shoulder belts to my '74 for this very reason. I feel a lot better about my daughter riding in the truck now.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #30
KrazyRay

I went to the CA highway Patrol and asked about my 5 year old in a booster seat with lap belts in the center of my truck. The lady told me to get a booster seat that had a built in seat belt system. The center lap belt would hold the seat in place and the seat would hold my 5 year old. Kinda like an oversized infant seat.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #31
manimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyRay View Post
I went to the CA highway Patrol and asked about my 5 year old in a booster seat with lap belts in the center of my truck. The lady told me to get a booster seat that had a built in seat belt system. The center lap belt would hold the seat in place and the seat would hold my 5 year old. Kinda like an oversized infant seat.
Thats what I have for my kids,6 and 4.
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #32
terrylgreenjr

I know Volkwagen makes a Latch system bracket for the 2 lower connections to update older models. Im not sure of the part number but it might be able to be adapted to the truck floor
terrylgreenjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #33
vegas80step

I didn't have any belts.. I ordered a new lap and mounting hardware from summit... his in a seat with it's own straps, and then lapbelted in.. that thing won't even wiggle..
Old 03-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #34
KrazyRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas80step View Post

I didn't have any belts.. I ordered a new lap and mounting hardware from summit... his in a seat with it's own straps, and then lapbelted in.. that thing won't even wiggle..
That's safe. You can be in a head on or get center punched and your child will be safe.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #35
1BadAction

I always got the right arm shoulder belt move from memaw when we had to stop short in the square or the Biscayne Didn't matter if I was a toddler or 19, always got the arm. lol.

Guess things moved a bit slower back then.
1BadAction is offline   Reply With Quote