The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
Amorget

New Member and 56 3100 Project

Hi, my wife picked up a project truck. I've spent hours reading this forum on the best ways to go forward with it and am pretty excited to get moving on the project. Brought it home today. Paid 700 for it, which from looking around seems to be at least a descent price. It has been sitting outside in WA, not running, for at least 13 years. It was last tagged in 99, but the owner said that he wasn't sure if that was true or not, or it was just tagged to keep from getting ticketed sitting on the side of the street. Owner said it had a V8 with a 4 speed in it, but it wasn't stock as he said the transmission tailhouse was sitting on a piece of angle iron with no rubber mount or anything. Engine and transmission are gone. He offered the enigne but said, at best, it was a core. We didn't need another core.

Picture:

It has some rust issues, but nothing that is too horrible. Cab corners are the worse part.

Couple artstic/fun shots:

This is my wife's dog

Couple questions, I was reading that these trucks had a torque tube style drivesaft/rear-end. The read end of this truck is a standard u-joint driveshaft setup. Was it replaced or did I misunderstand? If I misunderstood, what type of rear end does it have (assuming stock).

Second, I know that lots of places sell cab corners, is there one place that sells better ones then another or are they all the same stampings? I found them from LMC trucks, Ecklers and Tuckers, all withing ~$15 of each other, but it's hard to tell the quality when shopping on-line.

You guys have a great message board here, I spend most of my time on Thirdgen.org dealing with 82-92 F-bodies.

Thanks,
Douglas
Amorget is offline   Reply With Quote