The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #26
doobiebro

Re: '62 Front Suspension/Disc Brakes/Torsion Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrisch View Post
Are you running power Brakes with a booster??
Dual master w/ booster...this is the only pic I have on the booster..
Attached Images

66 GMC Long bed fleet side 305 V-6
77 C-20 Custom Deluxe (Blue Goose)
doobiebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #27
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobiebro View Post
Blue Blood the route you going is what I did and well worth it...Also go with the 4 inch drop rear coils.. I need to post a pic on the dual master w/booster..
Did you put the 4" drop coils in your truck? I'd like to see it if you have any shots of it on the ground.
I'm putting a fleetside bed on my swb 62' & am trying to get as much done as possible before I put the bed on...so much easier! (And to think I was a truck mechanic in my previous life!)
Blue Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #28
doobiebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blood View Post
Did you put the 4" drop coils in your truck? I'd like to see it if you have any shots of it on the ground.
I'm putting a fleetside bed on my swb 62' & am trying to get as much done as possible before I put the bed on...so much easier! (And to think I was a truck mechanic in my previous life!)
I don't have one recent but here's one... 2 1/2 dropped spindles with 4" drop rear coils...I will go may be 1-2" more up front by turning the torsion bars..
Attached Images

66 GMC Long bed fleet side 305 V-6
77 C-20 Custom Deluxe (Blue Goose)
doobiebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #29
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Dupe post from related thread:

I think I'm getting down to the bottom of the 'move wheels in or out confusion.

Cpp says none of their spindles move the wheels out from stock.
Others on these forums have said they do move the wheels out, and if you don't want your wheels to move out, you need to buy modular.

From my emails to Justin, he says he just had this conversation again with the owner and said that none of their spindles move the wheels out.

So I did some more searching today, and I found a few posts from others who've bought the modular spindles, that they do indeed bring the wheels in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Well after about 3 weeks of waiting since I tried to install my first set of modular spindles I finally got the new ones installed:

Couple of comments:

First, as advertised these moved the wheels inboard which has solved my clearance issues.....clip....

Quote:
Initially the front tires rubbed the inner wheel well at full dump, so I used a set of CPP modular drop spindles that move the wheels in about 1". These wouldn't be neccessary if you order wheels with less backspacing, but the spindles were much cheaper than new wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
I just installed a set on my '65 yesterday. Got them because they were out of the standard ones. I got one for a '73-'87 since the PO had used this combo when swapping disc brakes.

From what the guy at CPP told me, most dropped spindles space out the wheel. These actually keep everything located as stock. Take it for what it's worth. I didn't find it moved the wheel in or out over the stock '73+ spndles but earlier years it might.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #30
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quoted for quality of post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
This is where the confusion is>
"They bring the wheels in",... compared to what?
Stock drum spindles, stock disc brake spindles, or drop disc brake spindles?

I have NEVER gotten a firm answer to this from CPP.

Here's what I see:
1) drum brake spindles have the narrowest track width. (still wider than the 60-69 narrow rearends).

2) disc brake spindles are 3/4" (per side) wider than drum brake spindles.

3) DROP spindles are about 1/2" wider (per side) than the stock height disc brake spindle.
(this is to allow more clearance at the lower balljoint)

So,... what is CPP's claim?
Their MODULAR drop spindles are the same as what?
There are 2 answers:
1) drum brake spindles?
2) stock height disc brake spindles?

No one at CPP will answer this question.
I challenge them now to produce track width numbers compared to stock.
Sure they are narrower than most "old school" C10 drop spindles,... but all the info gets confused when you talk 60-70 drum brake spindles, 71-72 disc brake spindles, or 73-87 disc brake spindles.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #31
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

so, are the POL spindles non-modular or modular? or is Modular just a trade-mark name for the CPP spindles?

Last edited by fleetsidelarry; 02-26-2012 at 10:03 AM.
fleetsidelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #32
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The modular spindles are made in such a way as they are not made for a specific caliper. You have to buy or make a bracket that bolts to the spindle that will hold the caliper you wish to use. As far as I know, CPP are the only ones having these made. I could be wrong though as I have not looked around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsidelarry View Post
so, are the POL spindles non-modular or modular? or is Modular just a trade-mark name for the CPP spindles?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 AM   #33
budnikguy

Been searching for info on disc brakes on 60-62 torsion bat set ups and found everything here incredibly informative...but when, how, or in what way does any of this apply to a C30 dually style application? Can anyone help me with this quest...
budnikguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #34
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The C10, 20 and 30 suspensions are of the same design. So a C30 front suspesnion will mount to a '60-'62 frame the same as a C10 suspension would. Do you have a '60-'62 C30 dually? If so, I don't think those have torsion bars. The couple I have seen had coils, not torsion bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budnikguy View Post
Been searching for info on disc brakes on 60-62 torsion bat set ups and found everything here incredibly informative...but when, how, or in what way does any of this apply to a C30 dually style application? Can anyone help me with this quest...
Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #35
budnikguy

I am looking at picking this up as a hauler project and seller is stating it as a 62 chassis, I have looked at it and it has torsion bar front suspension. I wanted to know if there is a disc brake option for this application though..here are a couple of pics. Please lmk ty

Adam

Old 11-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #36
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You can buy aftermarket disc brake conversions for the '60-'62 C10's but I am not aware of anything for the '60-'62 C20 or C30's. I think you will be stuck with changing the entire front suspension for a '73-'86 C30 or '87-'91 R30 front suspension. IMO the coil springs will be much better on a C30.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #37
budnikguy

I have a complete c30 front brake set from a 72 C30..would this swap over easily...bolt up?!
Old 11-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #38
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes that will fit the frame just fine. I did not mention the '71-'72 trucks as there are not as many of them around as there are the '73 and up. You will have to drill most of the bolt holes though. It will be the same as if you were working on a C10. Somewhere here there is a thread that describes in more detail what holes line up and which ones need to be drilled. I have not done the crossmember swap on a '60-'62, just the '63-'70's.

The frame width where the front suspension bolts up is the same from '60 thru '86 for the C series trucks and from '87-'91 for the R series trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budnikguy View Post
I have a complete c30 front brake set from a 72 C30..would this swap over easily...bolt up?!