The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #26
AntiGov

Re: Considering selling the 87'! Give me a good reason not to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 324matt View Post
Yes, and no. I did buy it from oregon. I bought it Oct 14th, 2011. Sold it Feb 21st, 2012. So about 120 days. I almost doubled my money. Its nice to sell things at tax time, and buy them before xmas...lol
Posted via Mobile Device
yea, i remember just a few miles from me the guy couldnt get 4000.oo on craigs list then on ebay i was hoping to steal it for 2 or 3 , that guy must have been happy when u bought it for 5 ,and sounds like you did real good too.
AntiGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #27
Junqueboi

Ahh, sell it if you can get a good price for it. I'll bet a lot of enjoyment came from the sense of accomplishment. I can totally understand that. Looks like you fixed it up pretty good -- maybe you're ready for a different challenge.. Why limit yourself when you've got that little Monte bug in the back of your head munching away.

You never know when you'll see "the one" on CL for a good price but you don't have the option to buy it because you're maxed out in the vehicle dept.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #28
chevymotocross

Ya'll bring up some great points. Thing is if I keep the truck and buy the monte, now I have 2 vehicles which are really for good weather driving only, I would never let this truck see salty new england roads after the work I put into it.... nor would I let a monte of the same vintage.

If I kept the truck and monte that would mean another vehicle to add on the list for registration, insurance, and maintainence fees since I would need a daily beater for the bad weather and winter days. No way can I afford to keep three vehicles.

Ideally, I really need to be saving up for a house of my own. 23, living at home, just isn't cutting it anymore. I know most are saying stay at home as long as you can but I'm not sure on that.

I am deploying soon and hopefully coming back with a good chunk of change. I'm thinking a change of lifestyle to include new vehicles. As stated, I just don't see how I can keep the 87' around when it is no longer an everyday vehicle with these harsh winters. The monte would be the same but atleast I would have a daily-driver truck to make up for the usefulness of having a truck.

I will say the monte I buy will be much further ahead than when I first bought my truck, even if I have to initially pay more and travel. I want to basically do only minor repairs, I had fun doing the body repairs on the 87' but NEVER again!

The truck was great but I'm wanting just a basic everyday truck which I can drive all year and a good representation of an American classic (Monte Carlo).
Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #29
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymotocross View Post
Ya'll bring up some great points. Thing is if I keep the truck and buy the monte, now I have 2 vehicles which are really for good weather driving only, I would never let this truck see salty new england roads after the work I put into it.... nor would I let a monte of the same vintage.

If I kept the truck and monte that would mean another vehicle to add on the list for registration, insurance, and maintainence fees since I would need a daily beater for the bad weather and winter days. No way can I afford to keep three vehicles.

Ideally, I really need to be saving up for a house of my own. 23, living at home, just isn't cutting it anymore. I know most are saying stay at home as long as you can but I'm not sure on that.

I am deploying soon and hopefully coming back with a good chunk of change. I'm thinking a change of lifestyle to include new vehicles. As stated, I just don't see how I can keep the 87' around when it is no longer an everyday vehicle with these harsh winters. The monte would be the same but atleast I would have a daily-driver truck to make up for the usefulness of having a truck.

I will say the monte I buy will be much further ahead than when I first bought my truck, even if I have to initially pay more and travel. I want to basically do only minor repairs, I had fun doing the body repairs on the 87' but NEVER again!

The truck was great but I'm wanting just a basic everyday truck which I can drive all year and a good representation of an American classic (Monte Carlo).
Nobodys suggested this..... move. Get away from those winter conditions & drive the C10 & Monte SS all year round .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #30
chevymotocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Nobodys suggested this..... move. Get away from those winter conditions & drive the C10 & Monte SS all year round .
If it were only that easy!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #31
SCOTI

Quote:
If it were only that easy!
You said you need to start looking for a place of your own..... We do have houses for sale in the warmer areas too .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
chevymotocross

I've decided to keep....
Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #33
Kerlijah

Quote:
I've decided to keep....
Sweet, glad to hear it. Hope things work out for you! Keep on truckin man
1979 C10 SWB, shaved bed rails, drip rails, tailgate handle. 350 w/ Comp cam, hydraulic lifters, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 650 carb, Flowtech headers, Flowmaster 40s, turbo 350 w/stage 2 shift kit...so much fun!

Kerlijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #34
redsled87

Good to hear. That's a sweet looking truck.
1/4 10.93
MPH 120
redsled87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
JCampbell
Account Suspended

Move to CA, then you can drive it all year long.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #36
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

If you need us to give you a reason NOT to sell it, then you've moved on from it already! Sell it, and let someone else enjoy it!

If you can't handle the responsibility that comes with owning one of these, then you don't deserve to drive it anymore!!!

Just kiddin man...
JNJchev77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #37
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

small 4wd gonna get no better mpg really the 4 bangers might get low 20s
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #38
manimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by broey View Post
I say sell it. Sqaures are a dime a dozen. If a few years down the road you decide you still wanted it, then just go buy one of the 1000's for sale at any given time! If you are over it, start a new project.
I totally agree with this statement. YES, it's a sweet truck,but it's not the last square on earth,you'll find another one later.
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #39
Smoke_Dog

I'll buy it and make U wish U hadn't sold it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Had this truck since 07. Was my first major project vehicle. Put a good amount of work into this one body-wise. Mechanically it's been very stout.

I've always wanted an 80's monte carlo ss or cutlass. Thing is I always needed a truck for my motocross and other tasks. I was considering selling the 87'... downgrading to a small size pickup with 4x4 so I can use in the winter and possibly save on some fuel! And also eventually getting that 80's monte or cutlass.

What do ya'll think?
Smoke_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote