The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #26
Dunenutt
Newbee

Re: Shocks+Shock Boots= Premature failure???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
I have never had that problem in over 30 years! I would worry more about a rock trom a tire nicking a shaft.Then tearing up a seal.
This^^^

Having the shaft's sandblasted is way more damaging than a little mud.

I have always had great luck with Rancho 5000 series shocks. Been using them since the 80's, and never had an issue ( other than self inflicted).

Anything more hard core than a trail truck, gets Fox shocks though.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Do you ever tow heavy? My F-350 with gooseneck and a extended cab long box 4x4 dodge cummins weigh 22k. I hauled one not long ago around 75 miles each way. Half way through I stopped and crawled under the truck to check how hot the shocks were. The fronts were just luke warm. The rears on the other hand were pretty hot. So, yeah they do get hot other than an off road race.
Yes,I've hauled heavy plenty,but I've never had cause to feel my shocks. I don't use these off road design shocks on trucks for heavy hauling (except Rancho 9000RSXs set on stiffest setting)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #28
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

I dont use boots because of exactly what the salesman said. I came up with the conclusion myself though. Because I've seen pitting on shocks and I didn't want it on mine.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #29
JPalmer81

No boots on mine either, i think boots are just for show anyways. Take a look at the big construction equipment that get in the mud on a regular basis, i don't see any boots covering the hydraulics on them. Anything that keeps them from drying in my mind would be a bad thing. And a grease filled CV joint boot is a lot different than a shock boot, and those boots are sealed up a whole heck of a lot tighter than a boot for a shock.

My Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516872

"The price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance"
JPalmer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #30
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPalmer81 View Post
No boots on mine either, i think boots are just for show anyways. Take a look at the big construction equipment that get in the mud on a regular basis, i don't see any boots covering the hydraulics on them. Anything that keeps them from drying in my mind would be a bad thing. And a grease filled CV joint boot is a lot different than a shock boot, and those boots are sealed up a whole heck of a lot tighter than a boot for a shock.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

I really don't think it matters either way. And,I base that on over 35 years of experience with 4wds. I have never had a problem with corroded shock shafts from boots. I've run them both ways. I removed shocks with 200,000 miles on them that had no dampening left in them at all,but there was no rust on the shafts from the boots. I have had shafts rust with no boot due to the vehicle sitting for a few years,which isn't good for anything. I believe the theory for boots was to keep abrasive materials away from the seals. They ran boots on Baja 500 race vehicles that certainly cycle their shocks constantly all day long (and built up heat). Eventually they came up with remote reservoir shocks...many years later. Once the showy guys started into 4wds,then the boot colors came about and that's when they became about looks. Many things are learned over the years and the common goal of the 4- wheeling public shifts. The magazines fool this and depending on where you hopped on,they views are different. I like the more serious nature of 4 wheeling the magazines finally came around to. But,much of it is hype and in most of our real worlds what may be said to be not good enough or "you need this" really doesn't apply. You have to weed through it and find what works best for your needs. This coming from a guy who's school of thought has always been "over-build and you can't go wrong".

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #32
72K5CSTDarkOlive

I know this is an old thread but I thought I might add my 2 cents. I ride dirt bikes so we know a thing or two about mud and dirt.. The rear shock does not use a boot cover over the piston and they hold up fine, so I imagine you'll be better off without them.

Build version 2.0: 72 K5
6.0 LQ9, 4L80e, NP205
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=793192
Old 09-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #33
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

I've always ran boots on my shocks and steering dampner, DD and medium off roading. Never had top seal blow or shaft rust out. I ride 'em until they feel spongy, relpace with the same or try something different. Now, if your running a mud truck or extreme off road and have to wash your rig down when you return from the woods, swamp or mountain, then yeah - no boots.
The only issue I have with shocks is the cheap paint they spray them with. Down here, within a few months the start picking up rust spots, so when new, I will scuff, epoxy prime and paint with white poly paint. No rusty spots.

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #34
ryanroo

I will add to this as well, even though its really old.

Ryan. dont run shock boots. EVER. we can't be friends if you do... hahaha.

the claims are true. i have witnessed it firsthand and have heard from many an offroader/4x4 owner the same. so since it is always a point of contention, the fact that it may happen is good enough reason to me. worrying about dinging the shaft is a moot point. shock shafts are very hard on the surface. they are high grade steel anyhow and then have hard/smooth plating process after that. a little rock or sand will not do much to it by being flung by the tires. the shaft seals are meant to be wipers so they will clean the shaft before it gets to the pressure seal. if you leave a boot on there that can collect enough dirt, it will leave the stuff piled up on the shaft and slowly start wearing grooves in the shaft. if the moisture collects in the boot then we get rust. usually that is less of a problem in the normal wear zone as the wiper seals keep it clean, but if you dont use all of the shock travel much, rust can start to eat at the shaft and when you bounce it hard or force the shaft past the regular down the road wear zone it will eat the seals. shocks do get hot from regular use. that is why external res shocks are better at long term heavy use racing. just driving down the road can get them plenty warm to cause condensation. especially if you live somewhere with crappy roads.

and lastly, they are ugly. that one is opinion but i think its a good one!

funny this topic came back to the top. i have a tab open to the bilstien site right now looking for shocks.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #35
72_K10_Vegas

Bilstein 5100 series with the F-250 shock tower up front is what I am using. (ORD) Educating myself on the geometry right now. Interesting about the boots and heat. Did you check out the Bilstein 5100 series video? They have the boots on the bottom.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #36
DWilbur

I did a lot of wheel'n when I had my 84 chevy. I had issue with the rubber boots with a set of Ranco RS5000 the mud got hung up in the boots and rusted out the shafts and thus the shocks failed to do the job. The 2nd set I installed RS9000 and left the boots off and lasted a long time.
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #37
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

I've run Bilsteins for many years on all types of trucks and vans , expensive ? Yes, worth it ? In my opinion yes.
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote