The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #26
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: pulleys not lining up...help

Power steering is only one groove that I know of. Never seen two. Maybe on the alternator but haven't seen it on the power steering before. Not on these models anyway.
Everything else seems to be correct.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #27
FrankieD

Re: pulleys not lining up...help

You might be OK just replacing the WP and Crank pullies from the same engine my PS was fine.
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #28
'72customdeluxe

Three groove water pump pulley four groove crank pulley. 350 '72 Cali emissions truck with power steering and a/c. The empty groove was for the air pump. The steering pump angle and ghetto alt bracket/hardware were not my doing
Side question. Did 72s ever have egr? It came with a '78 model q-jet with egr and egr manifold. 1972 dated 010 block though. Has some emissions check sticker from the 70's in the door jamb. The intake setup might have been to pass easier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #29
FrankieD

Did 72s ever have egr? It came with a '78 model q-jet with egr and egr manifold. 1972 dated 010 block though. Has some emissions check sticker from the 70's in the door jamb. The intake setup might have been to pass easier.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

It is very possable my 70 from Cali had the Evap system but the ones from ILL. didn't. The 72 parts truck had the Evap but no EGR
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #30
RexDodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72customdeluxe View Post

Three groove water pump pulley four groove crank pulley. 350 '72 Cali emissions truck with power steering and a/c. The empty groove was for the air pump. The steering pump angle and ghetto alt bracket/hardware were not my doing
Side question. Did 72s ever have egr? It came with a '78 model q-jet with egr and egr manifold. 1972 dated 010 block though. Has some emissions check sticker from the 70's in the door jamb. The intake setup might have been to pass easier.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's quite an angle on that power steering pulley. Interesting with the three groove water pump pulley. It seems I have a mixture of pulleys. I bought this truck with the pulley set up it has. It had the ac compressor on it but no air pump. I can run it with what I have but will try to locate a serpentine set up to install next winter. I really appreciate all the help guys .
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #31
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic

I would just post a WTB in the parts section and replace the wp and crank pulleys.

I bought a set from board member livrat, it had wp pulley, crank pulley and alt. bracket for $60 shipped, yours should be cheaper and eliminate all your issues.

The only thing I had to do was put two washers behind the power steering bracket to get it to line up perfect. My pump and bracket was just like yours.
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #32
'72customdeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
It is very possable my 70 from Cali had the Evap system but the ones from ILL. didn't. The 72 parts truck had the Evap but no EGR
This had egr, evap, a.I.r., the whole lot. Now, just the pcv everything broke, and I had no qualms about saving money through simplification. The cab also has a saddle tank switch, so it might be a few trucks in one (it's a stepside)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDodge View Post
That's quite an angle on that power steering pulley. Interesting with the three groove water pump pulley. It seems I have a mixture of pulleys. I bought this truck with the pulley set up it has. It had the ac compressor on it but no air pump. I can run it with what I have but will try to locate a serpentine set up to install next winter. I really appreciate all the help guys .
The pic makes it look worse, blahblah.. Ain't my baby everything fit right before a "good" shop put my motor in. Bolts backing out, free wheeling distributor, etc. I didn't have a place to do the swap at the time unfortunately. Got plenty of work to do on it this week before I get it inspected.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #33
FrankieD

Here is a pic of mine with the 86 pullys and alt bracker with the orgnial PS, you might want to try just getting the pullys off the same car or truck.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #34
RexDodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
Here is a pic of mine with the 86 pullys and alt bracker with the orgnial PS, you might want to try just getting the pullys off the same car or truck.

Nice clean set up you have there.
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #35
FrankieD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDodge View Post
Nice clean set up you have there.
Thanks I am trying to keep it as clean as I can and get it on the street in a month or so depending on the weather. This setup worked for me because I don't see any A/C in the future.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #36
dropanddrag71

I have the same problem... I do know as well the motor is not original. I also want to add aftermarket A/C but not all pulleys are lining up.. Since it is a small block, newer then 1987... can i just remove all the pulleys and buy new as if i had none and start from scratch? Is it possible a previous owner is trying to match short and long pulleys and brackets causing this problem? do they sell 3 groove water pump pulleys?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #37
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanddrag71 View Post
I have the same problem... I do know as well the motor is not original. I also want to add aftermarket A/C but not all pulleys are lining up.. Since it is a small block, newer then 1987... can i just remove all the pulleys and buy new as if i had none and start from scratch? Is it possible a previous owner is trying to match short and long pulleys and brackets causing this problem? do they sell 3 groove water pump pulleys?

what year and engine does the crank pulley with that spacer fit? mine is like that and the power steering pump is off set the same as RexDodge's. I have a homemade top adjusting bracket also on my p/s also.

Could some one post pic of p/s top bracket.
not trying to hijack.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #38
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWS 72 View Post
what year and engine does the crank pulley with that spacer fit? mine is like that and the power steering pump is off set the same as RexDodge's. I have a homemade top adjusting bracket also on my p/s also.

Could some one post pic of p/s top bracket.
not trying to hijack.
My 69 with 350 and A/C uses that 2 piece spaced crank pulley set along with a 3 groove water pump pulley (only inner and outer grooves are used on pump pulley). The A/C brackets are the 67-69 type that was used on small block trucks without the A.I.R. emissions setup.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #39
PAWS 72

Thanks firstowner 69.Forgot to add mine has aftermarket a/c, with a ford compressor.Don't know how but its there. Home made a/c comp. brackets.I'll try to get pics tomorrow.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #40
SunSoaked

I'm having the same problem on my 69K10. I too have four grooves on the crank pulley and two on the WP (with a gap). I have no idea what the PO cobbled together, but in my case the water pump pulleys (yes its a short version) stick out further from the block than the crank.

I was just reading on the net and realized that harmonic dampers come in many diameters and widghts. I'm wondering if the "faces" or mounting surface of the dampers vary in relation to the block face when the balancers are fully seated.

If so, that would cause an unwanted "offset" with the rest of the system.

Hmmm......
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #41
dropanddrag71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
I'm having the same problem on my 69K10. I too have four grooves on the crank pulley and two on the WP (with a gap). I have no idea what the PO cobbled together, but in my case the water pump pulleys (yes its a short version) stick out further from the block than the crank.

I was just reading on the net and realized that harmonic dampers come in many diameters and widghts. I'm wondering if the "faces" or mounting surface of the dampers vary in relation to the block face when the balancers are fully seated.

If so, that would cause an unwanted "offset" with the rest of the system.

Hmmm......
I see your from Arizona... My truck was just shipped from California and since it's not the original motor, i am wondering if we are dealing with "smog" related items removed and pulleys left..
Old 08-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #42
SunSoaked

I bought my truck from a guy whos father bought the truck new. He inherited it when his dad died a few years ago. It was bought in Yuma on the CA border, but theres nothing in the SPID about emissions and I have paperwork showing the engine was replaced at 122,000. I'm thinking that is where things got mixed up.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #43
SunSoaked

Now that you mention it, I'm looking over some photos I took before teardown and you may be on to something.

First-I see provisions for air tubes in the rams horns (they were plugged off when I bought it).

Second- I have this "other" bracket thats attached (albiet butt ugly) to the AC compressor bracket. I'm wondering if its part of the bracketry left over from an air pump?

Anyone have photos of an air system installed?

I got a new Vintage Air compressor and bracket so for now I'm stuck with V-belts, otherwise I'd just convert to serpantine. I dont like the A/C bracket because it blocks the front "intake-opening" on the Edelbrock manifold. I guess I'll be selling it cheap...argh! I'm going to convert over to the long water pump and just buy new brackets.
Attached Images

Last edited by SunSoaked; 08-06-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #44
dropanddrag71

I didnt realise that power steering pumps come in all differant configurations, and since i have a motor swap i am thinking that the pump mybe wrong and the shaft sticks out to far making for the problems.. Can anyone measure there pump and get back to me on the measurement? Take a look at the arrow in the pic, it is exactly 2 inches apart, to hook up my A/C i need to move the power steering pulley in 1 groove to the 3rd groove from the balancer.... If i can move that 1 groove in, i can buy a 3 groove pulley and run the belt on the number 2 groove from the crank where there is now no groove!! If you have a 2 groove p/s pulley, i's love that measurement as well!!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #45
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanddrag71 View Post
I didnt realise that power steering pumps come in all differant configurations, and since i have a motor swap i am thinking that the pump mybe wrong and the shaft sticks out to far making for the problems.. Can anyone measure there pump and get back to me on the measurement? Take a look at the arrow in the pic, it is exactly 2 inches apart, to hook up my A/C i need to move the power steering pulley in 1 groove to the 3rd groove from the balancer.... If i can move that 1 groove in, i can buy a 3 groove pulley and run the belt on the number 2 groove from the crank where there is now no groove!! If you have a 2 groove p/s pulley, i's love that measurement as well!!
Your power steering pump is definitely a later style. I've also seen at least 2 different pulleys for the P.S. pump. Yours looks like the original on my 69 with the groove in line with the pulley hub. Some I've seen on 72s offset the groove from the hub... I THINK toward the block. I have one of those also but am not able to compare them for a couple days.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #46
FirstOwner69

Here's a link to an old for sale thread that shows the pulley I mentioned in my post above that appears to move the groove closer to the block.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516067
Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #47
SunSoaked

dropanddrag71-

You have an old style pump in a newer style housing. Thats what I was trying to do so I could use my newer hydroboost with the old pulleys and brackets. The newer pumps have a press fit pulley and it has two grooves. Problem is, to use it you have to convert to a long water pump