The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #26
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Rear mounted under bed gas tank

Fits a TF with no mods? How do you know? Where is the filler tube?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #27
maxdog51

Here's mine. It's a Jegs item.
Attached Images

maxdog51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #28
Coupeguy2001

Check out Ebay auction 261226311932, it is an under bed tank for a 67-72 chevy pickup from CPP.
I have been looking at this for a while, trying to determine if there's enough room under my bed from the frame rail, and how I am going to make a little fuel box for the fuel injection pump so it does not starve for fuel going around curves. I also want it to collapse small enough to slide in the sender hole, then unfold in the tank .
I like the idea that it is steel, and that it looks OEM, and that I might use the original fuel filler hole in the side of the truck, and run tubing down to the tank so the only hole I cut is through the cab floor. I would have to get my muffler guy to bend the tubing. If I used aluminized exhaust tubing, it might just hold the rust off for about 15-20 years, then someone else will have to fix it.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 10-12-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Fits a TF with no mods? How do you know? Where is the filler tube?

Dan,
OP has a 1948 AD
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #30
Dan in Pasadena

Fish,
Yeah, I understood that but the last time the OP posted was over a year ago so I thought you were talking to me.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #31
Dan in Pasadena

Maxdog, That's on a TF?

If so, where's the filler go in and how low does it hang below the bottom flange of the frame?

Old 10-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #32
55metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
You may have to trim your top frame rails slightly to get the Mustang tank to drop in.
You could change the filler to a side fill also.

This Mustang tank is in a TF Chassis.
Just finished doing this in my truck, I was searching to see if anyone had a solution for the sending unit. Not sure if this came up before but the solution seemed fairly easy, I used a 65 mustang sending unit and gutted the potentiometer and just bolted on a GM one (generic 0-90ohm from RCI in a corrected position, would work for 0-90ohm and 0-30ohm depending on if you are running original or aftermarket guages.... if you map out the empty/ fill point you can just re-adjust the float to the same locations.
Attached Images

55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #33
Dan in Pasadena

Is there any way we can get you to describe the process in greater detail? Any pictures?

I had a Mustang tank in my old '46 Chevy truck and never was never able to figure out how to deal with the issue.

For those that don't know, besides the differing resistance issue the Ford sending unit installs with a collet that goes in and turns a quarter turn or so. The GM type mounts with five screws around its perimeter.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:34 AM   #34
55metalmonkey

All I really did was map out the full/ empty range of the mustang sending unit like in the pictures above then took the ford Potentiometer off leaving the tab on the pickup tube so I would have something to mount to. then cut the 0-90ohm Potentiometer off a different sending unit I had from an RCI poly fuel cell and bolted it onto the mounting tab making sure it generally had the same range of motion. then cut down the wire arm on the float so it would move in the same range as the ford one and clipped it back in. soldered the wire into the tab in the Potentiometer and checked it all with a multimeter

since my tank was out of the truck I mounted it in the tank and did another multi meter check and it was 1ohm empty then I flipped the tank and it read 92ohm full so I'm fairly confident it's good to go
Picks below, hope they turn out (2 of them are just stock pics off google search)

I figured this was the best way for me to go, GM guts and looks all stock from the outside, I guess this would work just as good with 0-30 ohm if you were running stock guages
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #35
dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcouple View Post
This is what the Blazer tank looks like, the poly one, I used the stock pickup tube gauge sender and the block fuel pump.
Hey Oldcouple,

I'm going to go with the 73 Blazer tank in my 58 GMC. Is that a 31 gallon tank you have? I think I'm going to go with the 25 gallon tank.

The 31 gallon is 12 3/4 tall, the 25 gallon is 10 3/4 tall.
1985 K3500 Flatbed

58 GMC 4x4 build thread:
http://http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=557675
dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #36
55dude

Newfisher the panel and suburban tanks are like hens teeth to find. Mine is good and will use as a pattern for building new tank from stainless, i'm tired of dealing with old fuel tanks because just when you think your in good shape that hidden piece of rust decides to work loose and leave you pissed and stranded.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #37
lowrodderchev

that's a good idea metalmonkey I did it the hard way drill out a spot and added sending unit on top
lowrodderchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #38
55metalmonkey

Thanks, not sure if anyone came up with this before but it was a break though for me to move fwd on my truck. I have to get a full safety when I'm done and the poly tank I had in before to get the truck running wouldn't pass without a big old ugly skid plate bolted in to protect it.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #39
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55dude View Post
Newfisher the panel and suburban tanks are like hens teeth to find. Mine is good and will use as a pattern for building new tank from stainless, i'm tired of dealing with old fuel tanks because just when you think your in good shape that hidden piece of rust decides to work loose and leave you pissed and stranded.
You can buy them new from Jim Carter with the correct sender
Old 10-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #40
Old Crow

Newfisher, got any pics of the install? I'd like to see where the filler neck exits. I'm looking at this mod for the '54 pickup I'm doing for a customer.
I also have to get one of those tanks for the '54 Panel I just bought. Right now there's some tank bolted under the back of the Panel with the filler exiting below the back doors and a cheapo gauge hanging under the dash.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #41
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
Newfisher, got any pics of the install? I'd like to see where the filler neck exits. I'm looking at this mod for the '54 pickup I'm doing for a customer.
I also have to get one of those tanks for the '54 Panel I just bought. Right now there's some tank bolted under the back of the Panel with the filler exiting below the back doors and a cheapo gauge hanging under the dash.
I could rack mine this week and take some pic's. Mines a repop Jim Carter and exits just forward of the right rear fender. 2 straps hold it in and a standard filler hose out to a metal collar that the cap attaches to.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #42
Old Crow

If that's the 'Burb, no need. I have the crossmembers and the filler neck extension still hanging in the panel. All I'll need for that one is the tank, sender and straps.

The install I'm interested in pics of is the 'Burb tank in a pickup. That's the one I'm doing for a customer.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote