The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #26
79bigred

Re: Need help with 5/5 drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bark View Post
Are you sure you ended up with a 2" drop spring??? kinda sounds way too low????

also don't pull the front bump stops, you can just jack up your truck, hang the front suspension so you have room to work, and take a sawzall to the rubber stops, cut the top half off, that way you have more travel, but also don't bottom steel on steel!!!!

and you currently have the wrong shocks on the front of your truck, they are too long,

Unless you have more then a 2" drop spring????? the spindles won't affect shock length

255 60 15 should fit

I took the drop springs off and just cut one coiL off the the stock and they still stand taller than the drop springs when next to each other. And the shock is still compressed all the way down. I was looking into some front shock mount extenders for it and see if that helps with the shock issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
79bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #27
Square_78

You just need to get the right shocks... just use stock OEM size front shocks and you will be fine. No need for "drop shocks" in the front.
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #28
79bigred

But will the stock shock work if the drop shock that is on the the truck now is compressed already wouldn't the stock shock be worse and possibly not fit if I put a stock shock in?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #29
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

79bigred it sounds like your on the right path. What the guys are trying to tell you is they feel that the drop shock that came with the kit may not be correct. That "standard length" or stock front shock can be used with your drop.

You really can't compare the 2" lowered spring with a cut stock spring. The lowered spring might have a thicker gauge coil and will be wound at a different rate than the stock one. Most 2" springs work fine, but I have have had great results with cut stock springs too.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress,

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #30
79bigred

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
79bigred it sounds like your on the right path. What the guys are trying to tell you is they feel that the drop shock that came with the kit may not be correct. That "standard length" or stock front shock can be used with your drop.

You really can't compare the 2" lowered spring with a cut stock spring. The lowered spring might have a thicker gauge coil and will be wound at a different rate than the stock one. Most 2" springs work fine, but I have have had great results with cut stock springs too.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress,

Thanks N2trux when I have the truck jacked up today to cut my bump stops I will remove the drop shock and try to imstall the stock shock that was installed on the truck before I put the drop kit in. thanks alot you all have been much help on getting me some good info so I can get thka truck running good on the road will keep you all posed and up to date on the status. Looks like I will have my weekend cut out fof me again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #31
1LowToy

This process can take many weekends trust me. I was in the same situation as you a while back. I decided to no go so low and avoid some of the dificulties of shorter shocks and less grinding on the lower control arm. With a stock or your good used stock spring I think you will have what you want. With a half coil cut off min was still too low and the tires rubbed (255/60s on 15/8 ralleys). So I had to buy new springs and worked them over for another half (Don't ask how N2Trux will go off on me lol). I think your best bet is get a set of 1" lowering springs or your used set (uncut) and you will be setttin fine.

Last edited by 1LowToy; 06-23-2012 at 01:27 PM.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #32
79bigred

I know that is going to take some time to get the ride right and many weekends under the truck just don't want to rub the inner fender anymore and would like a better ride the the rough dude I have now. I am going to look into some new tires this weekend as well. I was just looking at some 1 inch drop springs if the new shocks and tires still don't help.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #33
Square_78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79bigred View Post
But will the stock shock work if the drop shock that is on the the truck now is compressed already wouldn't the stock shock be worse and possibly not fit if I put a stock shock in?
Posted via Mobile Device
The drop shocks you have in the front now are the wrong ones. They sent you the WRONG size. The stock ones are shorter. My truck is lowered almost SIX inches in front with coil spring drop and I am running stock length front shocks and they fit perfect and have lots of travel.

Take off those front drop shocks and send them back and tell them they are the wrong size, and much too long. Compare them to your stock front ones. I guarantee they are LONGER. Then head down to your local muffler and shock shop and ask for some heavy duty front shocks for your truck. OEM stock size please Problem solved and ride quality fixed.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #34
Square_78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79bigred View Post
I know that is going to take some time to get the ride right and many weekends under the truck just don't want to rub the inner fender anymore and would like a better ride the the rough dude I have now. I am going to look into some new tires this weekend as well. I was just looking at some 1 inch drop springs if the new shocks and tires still don't help.
Changing to a 1" spring wont fix your situation if you have the wrong size tires and shocks.... I guarantee that with the correct size front shocks and smaller tires, your truck will ride great. You need 235/60r15 up front and something like a 255/50r15 in the rear. Just make sure nothing rubs before you leave the tire shop. My truck rides like a cadillac and its 6/8 drop with stock size front shocks. No reason for yours to ride any worse than mine.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #35
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square_78 View Post
The drop shocks you have in the front now are the wrong ones. They sent you the WRONG size. The stock ones are shorter. My truck is lowered almost SIX inches in front with coil spring drop and I am running stock length front shocks and they fit perfect and have lots of travel.

Take off those front drop shocks and send them back and tell them they are the wrong size, and much too long. Compare them to your stock front ones. I guarantee they are LONGER. Then head down to your local muffler and shock shop and ask for some heavy duty front shocks for your truck. OEM stock size please Problem solved and ride quality fixed.
Yes Square 78 is exactly right, GET A PAIR OF STOCK SHOCKS. Once you install them, get smaller tires, and remove the bumpstop mounts, you will be fine.

Last edited by J Knight; 06-23-2012 at 06:40 PM.
J Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #36
primrrd

i have 5/5
stylin concepts 3 inch spindles , 2 inch springs
and flip kit.
- it will ride fine with the suggestions. you should have a lot more of the rod showing on the shock.
i ground the rives right off and completely removed the bump stops.
had good luck on the rallys- used a set of chevy van rallys on the front-
they are 6.5 inch- and had no rubbing issues.
tires - go by a used tire store for suggestions, you can use a 275/60 on the rear. i think i had something like 255/65 on the front or something..
my impalla wheels rub lock to lock, but i just dont turn it that far.
nice to know about the stock shocks.. i bought some lowered shocks with the kit to lower, but they are roached out now.
good luck..
primrrd is offline   Reply With Quote