The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #26
Mikec10

Re: bags on stock LCAs

will the bagged front end handle better then 3" drop springs?

im looking at his 86 squarebody thread right now, i posted the thorbros link as just a general idea of the plate/cup/bag kit, i'll most likely buy from a vendor here.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #27
maxxxy

If it rides terrible with springs, it might be bad shocks.

But on paper, if installed correctly, plus good shocks, bagging should ride better, because you can change the spring rate with the amount of air pressure.

But with only 1 fill and 1 dump valve up front, every time you go around a corner the weight of the truck pushing on the bag will transfer to tge other bag, thus sloppy handling. But 1 fill/1 dump per side on front, you will have very good handling.

If you just want good handling and not be really low, for fairly cheap and easy to install, I would make sure your springs are aftermarket lowering springs, not stock springs that have been cut. Then check your shocks, and replace with quality brand if needed.
And if it's not what you want still, look into a front sway bar.
Posted via Mobile Device

Max's bagged 81

81 rcsb bagged, 22s, build in progress
09 ext cab, 24" U2's, DD sub/amp
maxxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #28
Mikec10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxy View Post
If it rides terrible with springs, it might be bad shocks.

But on paper, if installed correctly, plus good shocks, bagging should ride better, because you can change the spring rate with the amount of air pressure.

But with only 1 fill and 1 dump valve up front, every time you go around a corner the weight of the truck pushing on the bag will transfer to tge other bag, thus sloppy handling. But 1 fill/1 dump per side on front, you will have very good handling.

If you just want good handling and not be really low, for fairly cheap and easy to install, I would make sure your springs are aftermarket lowering springs, not stock springs that have been cut. Then check your shocks, and replace with quality brand if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
I want to eventually lay cross member, im just hoping the air ride will be better, what shocks do you guys run? The issue with my truck is bump steer, not crazy but its there. i have 235/75/15 tires and i tuck a good 1/4" in the front.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:08 AM   #29
firedog

Thanks maxxxy for clearing that up that was the point I was making guess I wasn't clear, i agree with all the advise given here including having 2 valves per corner. The ride will be adjustable and better than factory
Posted via Mobile Device
Tach/tilt/buddy buckets
Bagged/18" Wheels
Black on Black

Project "Pandemic" the Farm Rat
1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Rat rod
'30 Model A Frame
Dual Carb 5.3 LS
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=804162

2007 GMC 4 DOOR 2WD
BUILT 5.3 STAGE 3 CAM 93 TUNE
LIFTED 22X12 WHEELS 33" TIRES

2023 Jeep RENEGADE
Wifes ride
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #30
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Mikec10- Pretty much anything will ride better than your 3" springs. I don't know why, but 73-87 do not like 3" drop springs. They work well on 67-72s, but not our generation of trucks.

If your just looking to improve your ride, and the budget is tight, I suggest you start with drop spindles and stock coils cut, or aftermarket 2" lowering coils. Combine that with the proper shock and you will be very pleased with the ride.

I'm not trying to steer you away from bagging it if thats what you really want. I am an advocate of air springs, but I feel strongly they must be done correctly or troubles will arise.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #31
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:

Very good advice maxxy. I agree with you on all counts except the cut springs. A stock spring that has been cut with minimal heat will ride just fine, unless they have had more than one coil cut, or excessive heat was used.

If the coils were heated (not cut) to gain the 3" drop your ride would be crap as the springs start to collapse. If they are cut, the ride will be a bit firmer than stock but not harsh.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 06-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #32
Mikec10

Just so everyones on the same page since you guys are pretty much walking me through this, Im going to purchase this kit, http://*************/-63-87-fullsize-...ag-bracket-kit Now the cup mount just sits in the spring pocket and the top plate bolts to the upper spring pocket. Now whats the second thing i should be looking for, shocks? What length shock should i get? I live 15 minuets away from summit performance and i noticed on their site they have shock and list all kinds for a 1" drop all the way to a 7" drop.

For air management im going to go off of this diagram

Just i'll ignore the rear obviously, with that said.
Im kind of lost since i've been looking at valves and i see all kinds, from valve fill controllers to 1/4" valves, 3/8 valves, Now a valve is a valve so i dont need a specific Dump valve and a specific fill valve. I just need to buy 4 valves 2 per bag one to fill and one that dumps. Now what size should i get, the smaller the slower air passes through it correct? what do you recommend for a dump and fill valve?

Im just trying to gather a list of parts so i can buy the majority of the things i need at once and then just buy whatever i will need as i install.

Last edited by Mikec10; 06-15-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Mikec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #33
maxxxy

Thanks N2trucks. I believe you are correct and I was wrong.

Mike I myself would suggest 3/8" valves and lines. They are a good medium, not too fast raise/dump, and not too slow. Plus they are fairly cost efficient as well. I would hold off on buying new shocks until after you install the front bags. That way you can take a couple measurements and get shocks that will work with your specific application.
Posted via Mobile Device

Max's bagged 81

81 rcsb bagged, 22s, build in progress
09 ext cab, 24" U2's, DD sub/amp
maxxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #34
gGMC DOG

by no means am i trying to bash, but when i order my parts from sd/thorbros, there was a long wait time in between. took 3 weeks to get the cups and plates, an additional week to get the bags, and the bags came with no mounting hardware. if i had this to do over again, i think i would have went with some of the site vendors. just something to keep in mind.
gGMC DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #35
gGMC DOG

good read
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=419251
gGMC DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #36
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Thanks N2trucks. I believe you are correct and I was wrong.

Mike I myself would suggest 3/8" valves and lines. They are a good medium, not too fast raise/dump, and not too slow. Plus they are fairly cost efficient as well. I would hold off on buying new shocks until after you install the front bags. That way you can take a couple measurements and get shocks that will work with your specific application.
There is so much miscommunication about cut coils vs heated coils, I just wanted to clarify so those uninformed readers could see the difference.

I agree that 3/8" valves are a great choice. They will move your truck up and down with plenty of speed. Leave those 1/2" valves for the guys that want to clown with their system. Not hating, just stating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gGMC DOG View Post
by no means am i trying to bash, but when i order my parts from sd/thorbros, there was a long wait time in between. took 3 weeks to get the cups and plates, an additional week to get the bags, and the bags came with no mounting hardware. if i had this to do over again, i think i would have went with some of the site vendors. just something to keep in mind.
Thats good advice. There was a time when Jason Thorbecke was the go to guy for great deals on top quality parts. Unfortunately his business model didn't support his expansion and he ultimately ran in to financial concerns. The reorganization process was supposed to clear things up, but it appears to have hurt their ability to ship product in a timely manner.

I always recommend supporting those that support us. Check the Suspension or Vendor Marketplace for great deals.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 06-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #37
Mikec10

I was just listing the suicidedoors thorbro kit as an example Ive heard their service isn't that great and i did plan on going through a vendor, thanks for all the help guys I'll most likely keep this thread alive with other questions
Old 06-17-2012, 02:28 AM   #38
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec10 View Post
So i think im going to settle on this kit
http://*************/-63-87-fullsize-...ag-bracket-kit

Now do i have to get drop spindles or can i upgrade those at a later time?
Guess now its time to start looking at air managment, any suggestions? I have a static drop in the rear at the moment cause college and part time job cant allow for a rear set up at the moment so i was thinking a 4 valve set up for the front and a tank with 4 ports for when i do my rear later in the year.
One suggestion.... If you seek help here, buy your stuff from the vendors that support us HERE.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #39
andrewmp6

Take a look around http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=210
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #40
Mikec10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
One suggestion.... If you seek help here, buy your stuff from the vendors that support us HERE.
One suggestion..... You should have read my last post that mentioned how i used the thorbros kit as an example, and then if you would have continued reading you would have read that i said i plan on buying from a vendor that supports us HERE.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #41
SCOTI

Quote:
One suggestion..... You should have read my last post that mentioned how i used the thorbros kit as an example, and then if you would have continued reading you would have read that i said i plan on buying from a vendor that supports us HERE.
I did read the entire post & the ones after. I stand by my one suggestion (just in case you're not the only one reading the thread).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #42
Mikec10

Would this universal kit work? for my rear?
http://www.avsontheweb.com/product.p...cat=335&page=1
Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #43
SCOTI

Quote:
Would this universal kit work? for my rear?
http://www.avsontheweb.com/product.p...cat=335&page=1
Should work just fine. You'll need to figure in the costs of the rear bag & shock mounts + parts too.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #44
Mikec10

So I bought a front kit privately and now i could use some schooling on fittings. I plan on running 3/8s line and valves. On the bag the diameter if the port hole is 3/4" but everywhere i look its 1/2" port. What kind of plumbing setups do you guys run?

They are 2 airlift d2600 bags, oh and can i buy the majority of the fittings at homedepot, or do i need to buy specific fittings off a website that are made specially for air ride?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #45
FLEET72

The Air Lifts have 1/2" ports. Depending on what size air line you choose to run, you can get direct fittings or bush down to that size. Since you want 3/8" lines, then fit the bags with this or this fitting based on how you choose to route from the top of the bag through the frame. I would limit my choices to fittings made specifically for air ride / air brake use and DOT rated for safety.
'69 GMC Custom Camper
FLEET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #46
Mikec10

Talked to a representative from AVS, this is what he said
>> Now for the set up you listed. You will need:
>>
>> (2) bag fittings, either straights or elbows
>>
>> (2) street tees (tapped for gauges) for your valves
>>
>> (2) hex nipples for your valves
>>
>> (2) air line in fittings, most likely straights
>>
>> (2) air line out fittings, most likely elbows
>>
>> (2) gauge fittings for street tees
>>
>> (2) gauge fittings for back of gauges.

sooo ive compiled this so far..
Air bag fittings - PTC 3/8 X 1/2 elbow

Air in (im assuming for the valve?) 3/8 X 3/8 Male straight PTC

Air out - im thinking about just using the same as above?

Now after that im still not to sure what i need, not sure where the hex nipples fit in, and im not sure if i need to get street tees cause i noticed they have PTC tees? any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #47
tubbedII
needs more $$$

The hex nipple go onto the street T so you can mate the valves directly to the street T. You only have the plumbing listed, so you still need the air management which are valves, compressor and tank.. Oh and switches to control the valves.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #48
Mikec10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
The hex nipple go onto the street T so you can mate the valves directly to the street T. You only have the plumbing listed, so you still need the air management which are valves, compressor and tank.. Oh and switches to control the valves.
Posted via Mobile Device
The plumbing is the only thing slowing me down, valves i know what kind to get and tank. i wont be running a compressor for the first few weeks, plan on just airing up the tank at home and just dailying it that way.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #49
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Sounds like your set then!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #50
ADub

I've been thinking about "cupping" the arms on my truck. I'm currently running Dominator 2600s on the front. I don't think these bags will clear the arm if I just shorten the cups?