The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #26
1972RedNeck

Re: Quiet mufflers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1650 View Post
What are these "mufflers" you guys speak of?
I was wondering the same thing. I'd try it straight piped.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #27
ole dollor

dang....i guess mufflers and motor oils have a lot in common.....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #28
dracula4999

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCncsuHD View Post
A magnaflow the size of a 40 series flow master, or a regular cherry bomb will not quieten much at all, but the ones closer to the size of a stock muffler will.

The way the engine is "built" has nothing to do with the final sound, at least as far as the exhaust note. You can quieten down a top fuel dragster enough to sound like a stock honda if you want, but it would take a muffler the size of a Volkswagen and knowledge of resonant frequency tuning.

More needs to be known about your buddy's setup to know what was wrong. Such as was it dumped? Side exit? Short pipes after the muffler? Too large of pipe or tips? Each of which can mess with the resonant frequency of the exhaust, affecting how it sounds in the car, and reflecting off of nearby objects.
If what you are saying is true, and the way an engine is built has no effect on final sound, then a regular 40 series flow on a top fuel dragster would sound just like my truck? I highly doubt that! As far as the mustang goes, "had a built 5.0 big cam, big heads, big intake, 2.5" or 3" maganaflow exhaust from headers back to the rear bumper. And it was the quietist exhaust he could find, but still not silent and still louder than stock which in the state of oklahoma can get you a ticket if the cop is a dick, or you are a dick to the cop.
dracula4999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #29
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracula4999 View Post
If what you are saying is true, and the way an engine is built has no effect on final sound, then a regular 40 series flow on a top fuel dragster would sound just like my truck? I highly doubt that! As far as the mustang goes, "had a built 5.0 big cam, big heads, big intake, 2.5" or 3" maganaflow exhaust from headers back to the rear bumper. And it was the quietist exhaust he could find, but still not silent and still louder than stock which in the state of oklahoma can get you a ticket if the cop is a dick, or you are a dick to the cop.
I should have been more clear, it has no effect on the final "loudness", final sound sure with respect to the cam duration, overlap, etc., but you can make anything quiet. Reread the statement below that. The statement "some engines will never be quiet" is simply incorrect. There is a muffler for every application, not a one size fits all.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #30
dracula4999

Ok, so if we use your top fuel dragster reference....Put my truck with a mild 350 with open headers next to a top fuel dragster and my truck will be just as loud??? All i am getting at is if what you are saying is correct in that the way an engine is built has nothing to do with how loud it is, then why would you need a muffler the size of a vw to make a top fuel dragster quiet???
Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #31
GCncsuHD

Quote:
Ok, so if we use your top fuel dragster reference....Put my truck with a mild 350 with open headers next to a top fuel dragster and my truck will be just as loud??? All i am getting at is if what you are saying is correct in that the way an engine is built has nothing to do with how loud it is, then why would you need a muffler the size of a vw to make a top fuel dragster quiet???
NO, of course not. Obviously a big engine flowing lots of air with a wild cam, etc. will be louder but it can still be made quiet. Again, THERE IS A MUFFLER FOR EVERY APPLICATION, IT IS NOT A ONE SIZE FITS ALL. How an engine built will affect the muffler needed to quiet it down, but not it's ability to be quietened down.

All I am is saying,
Quote:
just saying some engines will never be quiet.
You can make any engine quiet. It will take more for some than others. Of course a engine with a big cam and heads flowing a lot of air will take a bigger muffler to quiet down, but it is certainly possible. Your friend's Mustang certainly could have been quietened down, but the same exhaust setup on a stock 5.0 will not do the job on a heads/cam car, it will require the correct setup.

I am agreeing with you that a "built" engine will be louder given the same exhaust as a "stock" engine, but it is certainly not impossible to make that "built" engine quiet. When I said "final" loudness, I was referring to after the correct exhaust setup has been applied.

There is no reason we should continue to trash Longbed's post with this, if we need to clear anything else up, I welcome it in a PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #32
dracula4999

For the sake of ending the debate, i will agree that any engine can be made quiet. I guess what i should have said was its not always feasible (as in putting a 3 foot long diesel muffler under a car that only sits 6 inches off the ground.) If quieter is what someone wants, i am 100% in agreement that maganflow is the way to go. or leave everything stock, but that doesnt apply much to 40 year old trucks. I personaly dont like anything quiet...i love it loud!!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #33
GCncsuHD

Quote:
For the sake of ending the debate, i will agree that any engine can be made quiet. I guess what i should have said was its not always feasible (as in putting a 3 foot long diesel muffler under a car that only sits 6 inches off the ground.) If quieter is what someone wants, i am 100% in agreement that maganflow is the way to go. or leave everything stock, but that doesnt apply much to 40 year old trucks. I personaly dont like anything quiet...i love it loud!!!!
Agreed.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #34
longbed67

After looking at the comments, I think I have it narrowed down to:

Magnaflow 12579

Dynomax Super Turbo 17673

Let me know your opinions...

My 1967 C10 - Turbo 250 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485843

(608) 214-8706
longbed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #35
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

I had Magnaflow 18 inch (duals) put on my truck last Friday an am thoroughly pleased with them. Previously had unknown glass packs (two). With the glasspacks, it had a deep and loud tone that would rattle your ear drums when cruising down the road. Additionally, it had a higher pitch "tat tat tat" coming out of it.

The shop had Magnaflow 14's in stock, but from my reading, the 18's were a little more mellow, so I opted to wait for a day since they had to order them.

I have long tube headers (unknown, from previous owner). They said the 18's would just barely fit. Ran exhaust over the rear axle and had them point down just above the rear bumper (tucked inside) so that the exhaust is not visible. Didn't want to run them out, under the bumper, so they point downwards tucked away so as not to be visible.

Nice rumble on startup. Not too loud, just enough to say "hello." Sounds good when you take off. That low rumble Magnaflow is best known for. Cruising is much (did I say much, very much!) nicer. It's not loud and obnoxious. Nice mellow tone and I can actually hear my radio now.

A new exhaust system is always a gamble. Some want obnoxiously loud, some want stock quite and others want somewhere in between. Using that as a scale, with stock being 1 and obnoxiously loud being a ten, I'd say the Magnaflow 18s were at two or three.

Definitely happy with them. Some rumble, just enough, but can still listen to my radio and not get a headache from a loud roar.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #36
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Subscribed

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #37
SixtySevenC10

I know it's a mustang but check out this article. I bought the Borla ProXS mufflers.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...t/viewall.html
SixtySevenC10 is offline   Reply With Quote