The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #26
richards72chevy

Re: Lets talk about ELECTRIC Fans

How is this set up working for you McCoyAZ?
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #27
urmyboyblue

I have heard good things about using Chevy HHR fans- they apparently push a good bit of air.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #28
Sweetc10

im looking to do a ford windstar fan on my 68 c10 ls swap. was looking at doing the Derale 16789

High Amperage Adjustable Dual Fan Control 3/8" Thread-In Prob

Part Number: 259-16789 anybody done the same or think this setup will work? New to this building a truck and dont want to F anything up so any help would be much apperciated.
Sweetc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #29
mafosa

i use a 16" volvo fan and its relay. it only pulls about 15 amps on low and 20 on the high side.

i also use a adjustable thermostat. " two knobs" its a good combo. theres a 40 amp relay b4 that volvo relay thats key activated.

never goes into the high side. low seems to get the job done. those taurus fans pull about the same amp draw. more air flow though. just a slight amp spike at start up.

ive added that taurus motor to a volvo shroud and it really blows some air.

mark 8 fans are at the top of the dog pile for sure. just to many issues to deal with for me. plus its 18''

larry
Attached Images

mafosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #30
Kenfuzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafosa View Post
i use a 16" volvo fan and its relay. it only pulls about 15 amps on low and 20 on the high side.

i also use a adjustable thermostat. " two knobs" its a good combo. theres a 40 amp relay b4 that volvo relay thats key activated.

never goes into the high side. low seems to get the job done. those taurus fans pull about the same amp draw. more air flow though. just a slight amp spike at start up.

ive added that taurus motor to a volvo shroud and it really blows some air.

mark 8 fans are at the top of the dog pile for sure. just to many issues to deal with for me. plus its 18''

larry
Hi Larry is your Volvo fan and relay all from a scrap yard or were you able to find them new in the aftermarket? The only thing holding me back from installing any of these Lincoln/Taurus/Volvo type fans as used is at this point most are over 20 years old and the risk of failure is obviously much higher. I don't mind paying for something that is new knowing that it will be reliable.

Also curious, in one of your pics I see a smaller fan off the the side. Is that a trans cooler?

Ken's 1966 C10 build "Red Ale"
Follow on Instgram: @cv_performance
https://instagram.com/cv_performance
Harley Performance Parts: CV Performance (Harley related)
Enjoying the ride!
Kenfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:31 PM   #31
mafosa

hey kenfuzed, i did get it from a bone yard. there seaman motors. todays replacements are from china. the seamans are old but still waaay better.

i took mine apart and put a new premium water proof bearing. resurfaced the armature (drill press n emery cloth) checked it over for proper continuitys, regreased the rear bushing and chech the brushes. surprisinly there was 80% left.

the fan was as good as new, except quiter.

that other fans a B&M oil cooler that is being used on my motor. there a bunch of 1" holes in the fender walls with mesh grill.

in general. the truck runs really great in the summer. stop n go traffic means nothing to that sbc.

i still have that ford taurus motor n volvo shroud. its all new inside to.

larry
Old 12-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #32
Kenfuzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafosa View Post
hey kenfuzed, i did get it from a bone yard. there seaman motors. todays replacements are from china. the seamans are old but still waaay better.

i took mine apart and put a new premium water proof bearing. resurfaced the armature (drill press n emery cloth) checked it over for proper continuitys, regreased the rear bushing and chech the brushes. surprisinly there was 80% left.

the fan was as good as new, except quiter.

that other fans a B&M oil cooler that is being used on my motor. there a bunch of 1" holes in the fender walls with mesh grill.

in general. the truck runs really great in the summer. stop n go traffic means nothing to that sbc.

i still have that ford taurus motor n volvo shroud. its all new inside to.

larry
I'll have to go on the hunt for one of these. What year Volvo did that come from?

Under my mechanical fan w/HD clutch I'm getting broad temperature swings where I can actually see on the gauge as the thermostat opens and closes. In and out of traffic the temps swing from 185 up to 210 like a slow moving pendulum, with occasional spikes of ~225 in 85-90 degree weather.

Enjoying the ride!
Old 12-26-2016, 04:10 PM   #33
mafosa

90s any model. some are easier then others to pull out. be sure to hunt down the relay and as much as the wires as you can.

theres just four screws holding down the fan n shroud. top two need to come out and the bottom two just need to bee loose. its a torx head style.

last thing. the fan sticks out from the shroud by about 1/4" you cant mount it straite up against the radiator. a piece of flat aluminum is needed.

let us know how it turns out.
by the way. i use that robert shaw style motor thermostat. rock solid at 185* with no swing.

larry
Old 12-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #34
mafosa

i like the adjustable fan controllers. i run it at 195* during the winter and 185* summer.

high side always as a safety set at 210* you can ad a" over ride" and or a/c trigger toggle switch on the high side.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:15 AM   #35
Kenfuzed

Thanks Larry it was my understanding that the original Robertshaw stats were no longer available and now are only available in the Chinese versions. I've been using a Murray Ultra 180 after having a Fail-Safe lock open after 2 weeks of use (junk). I may switch to a Stant SuperStat or the one offered by Intense and switching to a 160. Ultimately I want to eliminate the cycling.

I'll have to look out for one of the Volvo fans. I already have a custom aluminum shroud that could easily adapt so I'm not too concerned about how close the fans protrudes since I would adapt the fan itself to my shroud.

Enjoying the ride!

Last edited by Kenfuzed; 12-31-2016 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #36
mafosa

kweel!.. i thought i saw that thermostat at speedwaymotors. i just like how my temp gauge locks in at 185* and stays theres.

larry
Old 12-31-2016, 12:47 PM   #37
ryanv70c10

Who makes a good reliable fan controller?
ryanv70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote