The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
baclay9

Re: How much of a loss are you willing to take?

I agree with the limited market comment. You are waiting for someone that likes squares, wants a bagged one, and wants a bagged one that has a older looking/patina paint job. It is an awesome truck though. If you are patient the right person will come along.
Posted via Mobile Device
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
king-918

I couldn't take a 3k loss on my truck I would rather burn it to the ground or part it into another project
Posted via Mobile Device
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Wet..Paint

I was close to selling my truck for 5,000, had it listed for that for a couple months, lots of people wanted it but only one person was gonna come up with the 5g. I have about 6,000 into motor and tranny. And about 1,500 in other parts on the truck, plus the truck itself. But I changed my mind about an hour before the guy showed up with his cash. I decided I have too much into it and what will I have when I sell it? 5g to start over with? So when I do go to sell it, I'll pull the motor and trans to keep and sell the truck as a roller for less... Or even pick up something wrecked to toss in a boring ol 305 or something... Keep the good **** for my next truck!

That way it wont be much of a loss, if any at all... And my next project has a head start!
Wet..Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Firebirdjones

I've never had to take a loss on anything I've sold even recently, but I deal mostly in classic muscle cars. Never bought these trucks for resale frankly because they aren't all that expensive to buy anyway. Not knocking these square bodies though, I love mine, but I bought it for the sole purpose of using it to tow my toys. The problem with the squares is "end value" (which isn't all that high) so it's very easy to exceed the value of the truck when restoring one, or modifying as in your case. They aren't all that collectable as of yet.

I have noticed a trend that the squares are starting to gain some popularity, especially the 70's models. You have location working against you since these square bodies are so plentifull and cheap to buy out here (darn things are everywhere ) Back East it would be an easier sale.

You'll also have to find the right buyer that is into all that lowered big wheel stuff. Obviously that's work and money, and finding the right person that will appreciate it will get the money you are after.

Some other things to consider are how it's advertised and where. I never put anything in Craigs List. Yeah it's free and it might work fine for your daily driver commuter car, but specialty things like this deserve better exposure. Ebay isn't all that much better. I've always had better luck driving what I'm selling and getting exposure that way, hitting the bigger meets etc...
Stick it in the car corall at Goodguys will get several thousand people looking at it, hit the bigger cruises like the Pavilions. There are specific truck meets that are fun to do (Carlisle being one). Had them back East, haven't seen that out here however I haven't looked either. Some travel may be involved but I tend to make a good time out of it. One example of that is Hot August Nights in Reno. Another good place to take it is the Pomona Swap meet which really isn't all that far to drive from Phoenix.
Glendale has a swap and car coral once a month at the college that I like to attend which is close for you, good place for exposure.

What I'm getting at is that if you are serious about selling, public exposure is the best thing. The serious buyers are the ones scouting these places. The ones that sit behind the computer looking at ads are the tire kickers you are finding.

Just my experience from buying/selling.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Tucson38

In general, I think it's unwise to expect to get your money back from a restoration job. The people who are interested in restored/customized trucks are also interested in the process of rebuilding their own to their own criteria. Accept the fact that we do it for our own pleasure, as a hobby, and let it go at that.
Tucson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
88Jimmy4x4

Most of the ones I have seen selling for alot of money were restored/rebuilt stock looking trucks without modified suspension/paint/interior etc.
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Jimmy4x4 View Post
Most of the ones I have seen selling for alot of money were restored/rebuilt stock looking trucks without modified suspension/paint/interior etc.
That's always been sort of the "mainstay" or "trend". Heavily modded stuff starts to take on a certain taste that not everyone has, makes for a more difficult sale.

I'm thinking from Broey's post his original intention with the truck was not to build and sell??
Old 07-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
broey
Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
I'm thinking from Broey's post his original intention with the truck was not to build and sell??
yeah, I didnt build it to try to flip it. I just want a new project. I may keep it. It doesnt help that my friends are Dino, Yezzi, and Sam (distubinglykool) who are building magazine centerfold trucks every few months! in the last 12 months I have seen them build oj, blue jay, the 65 from delmo, jackalope, the 65 pro street, big red, dinos dually, the the orange sub... the list goes on and on. yet I still have my same old truck. so it gets me antsy to build something new. but I cant seem to do it without loosing my ass. I will figure it out. there has been a ton of good advice here thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Edahall

I understand how your frustration. I paid full price for a highly modified Chevy Tahoe not too long ago for less than what it would have cost for me just to buy all the parts to put it together. It was exactly what I wanted so I felt lucky to find it and save all that labor to put it all together. Apparently, it had also been for sale for quite some time as well. Anyways, the trick is to not get in a hurry selling it and maybe the right buyer will come along.

FYI, the trucks that seem to be selling for high dollars right now are trucks that can make money hauling a flatbed. With the bad economy, everybody thinks that they can make money by buying a diesel dually and towing a flatbed. However, they forget how much it costs for maintenance caused from severe overloading.
-Gear Vendors Overdrive - HX35 Holset Turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears -2" Lift

Last edited by Edahall; 07-13-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Edahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
king-918

For all the blood, sweat, and money you put into it why would you let some asshole with "more money" enjoy your pride? Only my son can have that privilege! Money gets tight but save your baby for last
Posted via Mobile Device
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

This is not directed at your truck, just a general observation. If every project drug home got at least an $800 MAACO paint job, seat covers and carpet FIRST, then most projects wouldn't loose money. Shiny sells better than mechanically sound - as long as its running.

FWIW, I'm building two money-losing squares.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
mopar346

One of the problem is the people with money to buy toys are looking for steals not just deals cause they are out there. They also assume the seller doesn't have money or needs money, they know the competition is low and they don't have to buy anything but most sellers have to/need to/want to sell. The deck is stacked in their favor. I'm currently playing with a guy with an unrestored Hemi Super Bee right now, the problem I have is I WANT, bad too, but I have to deal with my head not my heart.

Last edited by mopar346; 07-13-2012 at 08:56 PM.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
One of the problem is the people with money to buy toys are looking for steals not just deals cause they are out there. They also assume the seller doesn't have money or needs money, they know the competition is low and they don't have to buy anything but most sellers have to/need to/want to sell. The deck is stacked in their favor. I'm currently playing with a guy with an unrestored Hemi Super Bee right now, the problem I have is I WANT, bad too, but I have to deal with my head not my heart.
That example given is a completely different playing field than an old pickup truck and more in line with what I collect. Pickup trucks really have no resale value to speak of.
If that "B" is a real J code (or R code depending on the year) It's going to cost you money no matter what shape it's in. When a car of that caliber is done correctly they are 6 figure cars even in this economy. Don't expect to get that for a song.

If it's truely an unrestored example (what I prefer to collect) and has been very well preserved and shows nicely, they can bring as much as a concours restored example. The car market has really been favoring cars like this in recent years and they've grown in price substantially. Good luck on your purchase. Don't "play" too long because what ever he is asking it's a good bet someone will pay for it
Old 07-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
79 silverado
Account Suspended

My advice: if you can find a killer deal that you know you are paying less than its worth for, then it makes it easier to sell something you have for less than its worth and just tell yourself that the "good deal" part was a wash and you paid actual value for the next thing you picked up...

Did that with a 76 c20 about 4 years back when I picked up my 78 z28, worked out ok in the end...
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
mopar346

Yep.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
88Jimmy4x4

Quote:
That's always been sort of the "mainstay" or "trend". Heavily modded stuff starts to take on a certain taste that not everyone has, makes for a more difficult sale.

original intention or not......it is what is......dont get me wrong, I would be damn proud to own his truck and drive it, I love it just like it is. However, some people like that blank canvus or just want one like it was when built unmodified....I'm just saying what I have seen sell for the most in the last year.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #17
Firebirdjones

Quote:
original intention or not......it is what is......dont get me wrong, I would be damn proud to own his truck and drive it, I love it just like it is. However, some people like that blank canvus or just want one like it was when built unmodified....I'm just saying what I have seen sell for the most in the last year.
The intention has everything to do with it, and that's part of why he is in this situation, because he intended to keep it.

If he intended to sell it,,,he is probably smart enough to know these old squares aren't the hottest things on the market to flip so you would start with a more profitable platform. That's just it,,,he didn't intend to sell at the time of the build so the amount of money he stuck in the truck was inconsiquential at that point in time. Now the cards have changed and he may sell. Hard to get your money back now on a vehicle that has no big resale value on the market, modified or not. It's not "collectable" per say. That is what I was eluding too.

Not trying to take anything away from the mans truck. He's obviously spent time and money on this thing and enjoys every minute of it, that's what counts. It's not going to be everyones "cup of tea" either.

I agree with you and what you are saying (I think we are on the same page here), and that trend of stock vehicles selling for more money is right on the ball and I think everyone who follows the market see's that. It couldn't be more true with classic muscle. Start changing parts on a high dollar muscle car and watch the value drop thousands.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #18
88Jimmy4x4

Quote:
The intention has everything to do with it, and that's part of why he is in this situation, because he intended to keep it.

If he intended to sell it,,,he is probably smart enough to know these old squares aren't the hottest things on the market to flip so you would start with a more profitable platform. That's just it,,,he didn't intend to sell at the time of the build so the amount of money he stuck in the truck was inconsiquential at that point in time. Now the cards have changed and he may sell. Hard to get your money back now on a vehicle that has no big resale value on the market, modified or not. It's not "collectable" per say. That is what I was eluding too.

Not trying to take anything away from the mans truck. He's obviously spent time and money on this thing and enjoys every minute of it, that's what counts. It's not going to be everyones "cup of tea" either.

I agree with you and what you are saying (I think we are on the same page here), and that trend of stock vehicles selling for more money is right on the ball and I think everyone who follows the market see's that. It couldn't be more true with classic muscle. Start changing parts on a high dollar muscle car and watch the value drop thousands.
Im with you my friend 100%

anyway...to answer the thread question.....thats a badazz truck you built broey...if I had to take a loss....I would make sure that the seller of the vehicle I replaced it with also took a loss....sorta balances out ya know....hope that makes sense....lose a deal....get a deal...ying/yang
Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #19
broey
Square

Quote:
Im with you my friend 100%

anyway...to answer the thread question.....thats a badazz truck you built broey...if I had to take a loss....I would make sure that the seller of the vehicle I replaced it with also took a loss....sorta balances out ya know....hope that makes sense....lose a deal....get a deal...ying/yang
I definitely plan to build smarter on the next one. Im going to build something that is more desirable. just incase I want to flip it again.

who ever does end up with my truck is getting a steal for sure, I just wish I could more easily show it to them!
Old 07-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
flashed

I have a 55 Bel Air 2 dr hardtop that has been for sale for a while and I cant even get a cash offer on it ,only offers of trades which Im not interested in as I am trying to downsize as I have too many toys .Im in that car real deep and cant even get a bite at $15,000 ,got $30,000 in it. If it goes it will have to go cheap ,Im not sure how much more Im willing to cut .I dont have to sell but the insurance on multiple collector cars is killing me and Im doing a frame off on my 72 shorty which aint cheap.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #21
broey
Square

also, at my asking price if I'm already taking an 8k hit. what Im wondering is do I hold on to it at that price forever?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #22
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by broey View Post
also, at my asking price if I'm already taking an 8k hit. what Im wondering is do I hold on to it at that price forever?
That's a tough call bud. Depends on alot of things. If you can afford to keep it I would, and maybe casually advertise the truck forsale at different venues and see if you get bites. I definately believe the truck needs to be taken to some of the bigger meets to be seen and advertised. A vehicle done like this doesn't get the exposure necessary from a magazine clipping or computer ad. Take it to the places where the real buyers are.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #23
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

I always buy high and sell low, that way I'm never disapoint'd !
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #24
broey
Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitteryguy View Post
I always buy high and sell low, that way I'm never disapoint'd !
lol, thats the attitude I need!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #25
FlossyB

Damn Broey, I wish you had decided to sell your truck last year. I would have bought it for $8-9K. Because of seeing your truck, that is why I decided to buy a C10 last year. I will have close to $7-8K in my truck in a couple of months & it will not be anything close to looking like your truck.
FlossyB is offline   Reply With Quote