The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #26
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

Re: bagged trucks, i dont get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badriand View Post

lol you know what i'm talking about
Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #27
kingy

dont take this thread the wrong way peeps, im not hating on the ones with bags or 22's its just not my liking, i may have worded the thread poorly but its to the point, being that i dont understand why, now there has been some good eye openers on here, and that was the reason why i started this thread, i like non bagged cars/trucks as i feel its more pure but dont get me wrong i can understand the effort people go to but in bags etc,
also i may have had australian ''mini trucks" in mind when i posted this.
kingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #28
62 Bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy View Post
dont take this thread the wrong way peeps, im not hating on the ones with bags or 22's its just not my liking, i may have worded the thread poorly but its to the point, being that i dont understand why, now there has been some good eye openers on here, and that was the reason why i started this thread, i like non bagged cars/trucks as i feel its more pure but dont get me wrong i can understand the effort people go to but in bags etc,
Whatever
62 Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #29
oem4me

Quote:
dont take this thread the wrong way peeps, im not hating on the ones with bags or 22's its just not my liking
No worries kingy, you are not alone. The minority for sure, but not alone. Some sympathizers just may be reluctant to step into the line of fire.
All's good, carry on.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #30
broey
Square

Quote:
the simple answer is, we do it because thats what we wanted to do. I bagged and body dropped my truck on big wheels because thats what I like. If it bothers people.....good.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 AM   #31
MikeS.

Before hangin out here low rides weren't my thing either. I've really come to like all the work and low-riders on here. Not that I'm gonna slam my 4x4 Burb. Although bags might be a way for me to go. Lower the truck for entry and exit, raise it for ridin.

Something to think about.
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #32
badriand

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy
dont take this thread the wrong way peeps, im not hating on the ones with bags or 22's its just not my liking
No worries, reminds me of that time I told my wife she was starting to look like her mom. What I thought was a nice thing turned out to be a no go for the wifey. Still haven't lived that one down.
Posted via Mobile Device
badriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #33
chevyrestoguy

I've lowered almost every car I've ever had in the last 30 years because I like the look. 30 years ago, all we could do was cut the coils and add blocks, and they rode pretty badly. As time went on, drop spindles came to the market, along with lowering springs that had better spring rates to help the ride, and the ride got even better. My quest was to have a car at a ride height I liked that would ride comfortably. I can can get pretty close statically, but it has it's limitations, namely ground clearance. It takes a certain driving style in a lowered car to keep from banging the front crossmember on everything. You drive at a slower speed and look faaaarrr down the road for upcoming "challenges".

About 15 years ago, I was at SEMA, and I was checking out the Air-Lift booth and looking at their load leveler trailer bags. I asked the rep if they had ever thought about making a bag that would completely replace the front and rear coil springs. He looked at me like I was nuts.

Fast forward to today: Bagged vehicles are everywhere, and parts are readily available in vastly different levels of quality. Some of the bagged vehicles out there are really well-executed, most of them are horrific. In order to make a bagged vehicle work correctly, you have to engineer it correctly. Too often, guys are only concerned about how low it can go (lay frame....hate that term), but never take into consideration about the functionality of the system at ride height. That's the most important thing that guys miss when they design their system.

I completely understand your opinion about bagged vehicles. I really do. My challenge to you is to find a well-engineered bagged vehicle in your area and study it closely. See if you can go for a ride in it. If it's designed correctly, you'll be impressed at the ride quality and handling. Please don't judge all bagged vehicles the same. 75% of them out there are garbage. Poorly engineered and constructed with terrible functionality and ride quality.

It's too bad you're not closer, and you could go for a ride in a nicely built bagged truck like Delmo's, Dino's or anything that Nathan Porter (Porterbuilt) has designed. I think you might change your mind. You still might not want to build one, but you'll see the appeal of going to an air-suspension.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #34
'63GENIII

I originally got on this site for info on my '63K truck. After seeing what guys are doing with bags, I would really (if funding allowed) like to bag my '63 if anything for a better ride while still being functional for work. The longer I stay on this site, the more I think that I need to find a 2wd so that I can have the lifted and lowered bases covered. Plus I wouldn't feel left out when reading about all the cool lowered stuff that alot of the guys are doing! Can't have it all right! I agree with chvyrestoguy in that it HAS to be well engineered otherwise it's not going to perform like expected (and possibly be unsafe). For now I will just add bags to the long list of upgrades that I think about when that next Cali. pothole compresses my vertabrae another 1/2"! My vote is fun bags for all!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #35
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post

About 15 years ago, I was at SEMA, and I was checking out the Air-Lift booth and looking at their load leveler trailer bags. I asked the rep if they had ever thought about making a bag that would completely replace the front and rear coil springs. He looked at me like I was nuts.

well it had to have been way more than 15 years ago, I built this in 1997 and I was assuredly not the first, bag kits were already huge business.

not correcting anything but the year of your idea.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #36
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

^ya but back when we were building those things, they didn't have NEARLY the level of bolt on 3 and 4 links, bag cups etc.
That and the rubber tech has gotten SO much better.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #37
joedoh

yeah nothing bolted on that system. I used a hotrod 4 link from TCI but it was all weld on.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #38
kingy

Quote:
No worries, reminds me of that time I told my wife she was starting to look like her mom. What I thought was a nice thing turned out to be a no go for the wifey. Still haven't lived that one down.
Posted via Mobile Device
hahaha nothing worse then it coming from a good place and you end up in a bad one.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #39
kingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
I've lowered almost every car I've ever had in the last 30 years because I like the look. 30 years ago, all we could do was cut the coils and add blocks, and they rode pretty badly. As time went on, drop spindles came to the market, along with lowering springs that had better spring rates to help the ride, and the ride got even better. My quest was to have a car at a ride height I liked that would ride comfortably. I can can get pretty close statically, but it has it's limitations, namely ground clearance. It takes a certain driving style in a lowered car to keep from banging the front crossmember on everything. You drive at a slower speed and look faaaarrr down the road for upcoming "challenges".

Fast forward to today: Bagged vehicles are everywhere, and parts are readily available in vastly different levels of quality. Some of the bagged vehicles out there are really well-executed, most of them are horrific. In order to make a bagged vehicle work correctly, you have to engineer it correctly. Too often, guys are only concerned about how low it can go (lay frame....hate that term), but never take into consideration about the functionality of the system at ride height. That's the most important thing that guys miss when they design their system.

I completely understand your opinion about bagged vehicles. I really do. My challenge to you is to find a well-engineered bagged vehicle in your area and study it closely. See if you can go for a ride in it. If it's designed correctly, you'll be impressed at the ride quality and handling. Please don't judge all bagged vehicles the same. 75% of them out there are garbage. Poorly engineered and constructed with terrible functionality and ride quality.

It's too bad you're not closer, and you could go for a ride in a nicely built bagged truck like Delmo's, Dino's or anything that Nathan Porter (Porterbuilt) has designed. I think you might change your mind. You still might not want to build one, but you'll see the appeal of going to an air-suspension.
thats what is was trying to say about 75% being garbage, my challenge is to find a well-engineered bagged vehicle in my area, that's my point, its a big challenge, and feel alot of trucks are getting waisted,

anyway to those that took it on the chin and gave me a bit of insite i thank you, and to the others, take it how you want, no skin off my nose
Old 07-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #40
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I like a little low look.
Slammed looks good, but not for me.
I most likely will eventually go to bags in the rear.
That way I get the softer ride, but can pump em up if I need to go get some wood pellets for the stove.
The previous owner put air shocks, but I just read recently that for very brief and occasional loads, that's okay.
But the shock mounts weren't designed to carry loads.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #41
rustbucket66

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but here is my humble opinion. I love the look of lowered trucks, or lowered anything as much as anyone. But, when I see the fenders and body touching the ground, it looks broken or something, and that it can't be driven that way. I prefer to see the thing at ride height, the way it would look driving down the road. These trucks ride like a car with the coil springs all around, not like they are a rough ride in the first place. The other thing I don't like is when the tires are sticking up in the engine compartment with no inner fenders, and a bunch of the outer and inner fenders chopped out, I just don't like the look of that. Also, the inside of the box is compromised by the frame having to come up so high to clear the rear axle. Some of the box floors are only a foot deep. I chose to be lowered for sure, but spend my money in other parts of the truck. Nothing wrong with bags, just not for me. I am not criticizing anyone, just my 2 cents worth of opinion.
rustbucket66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #42
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

That's what so cool about these trucks.
I think patina is sad, but I appreciate why others like it. - they say it's o-naturale.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #43
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
To each his own. I personally get off on a bone stock configuration, with original survivors as the ultimate form. That said, I absolutely love what some of the better custom builders are doing with these old things. They are just trucks after all. Production line built in the hundreds of thousands, from day one they were meant to be used up and thrown out. I say save the best survivors and cut up all the others anyway you want. Low, high, bagged, lifted, ..whatever makes you happy. If one was truly interested in usefulness, my guess is a late model truck would be the best choice anyway.
Just for the fun of it, I had a member here photochop my 66 low miler awhile back ..and I LOVE IT! Have fun.
Most guys that are hard core in to stock or restored are adamantly opposed and blindly biased to anything but stock or restored. You have a refreshing attitude that I truly commend.

BTW- I love your truck, and have evil thoughts about what I would do to it if it were mine. Your P/C is a pretty good vision of what I would do to it...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #44
chainsaw

First pic all the way up, 2nd pic at ride height. It really dosnt go much lower aired out then at ride height. I never got the lay frame look either,I first used bags because I couldnt get out of my driveway to the alley without first putting down blocks of wood then having to pick them up and put them in the car each time I came or went. After we moved I still put bags on all my stuff.
chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #45
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

what I dont understand is why anyone would both building a high performance engine when you can't do faster than 25-35mph through down town anyways. what a waste.

all trucks should have an inline 3 cylinder.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #46
txinliner

Quote:
ok im sure i will upset a few people in here but here it go's anyway
why bother having air bags? people say "it looks sick when its dumped" but whats the point when ya cant drive it that way? i dont hate them i just think they are way over rated and a lot of good trucks are getting waisted with bag kits and 22'' rims. is it just me? or do others feel the same.
well i used to be in that camp as well but my c10 is static dropped at 7/6 and i think it looks *****in but it aint practical.so im considering bags but its one of those to each his own things ya know
65c10 43,000 original miles ,230 stovebolt,powerglide,3" drop spidles 3" drop springs w/ half coil cut and 5 drop springs in back with 1 1/2 blocks... c notch soon to add hei offy 4 v intake and holley 390
txinliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #47
txinliner

Quote:
I did rear to level back out as lowest springs and blocks wouldn't get low enough to level out. Liked it so much i did the front about 2 weeks later. The ride is far better IMO than it was and i still drive at the height i had it at before, now i just dump the air when parked. I just replaced the coils with bags so i can reverse if i want.
i live in tyler would like to get feedback on youre truck
65c10 43,000 original miles ,230 stovebolt,powerglide,3" drop spidles 3" drop springs w/ half coil cut and 5 drop springs in back with 1 1/2 blocks... c notch soon to add hei offy 4 v intake and holley 390
Old 07-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #48
txinliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
To each his own. I personally get off on a bone stock configuration, with original survivors as the ultimate form. That said, I absolutely love what some of the better custom builders are doing with these old things. They are just trucks after all. Production line built in the hundreds of thousands, from day one they were meant to be used up and thrown out. I say save the best survivors and cut up all the others anyway you want. Low, high, bagged, lifted, ..whatever makes you happy. If one was truly interested in usefulness, my guess is a late model truck would be the best choice anyway.
Just for the fun of it, I had a member here photochop my 66 low miler awhile back ..and I LOVE IT! Have fun.
wow thats cooooool
Old 07-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #49
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07 View Post
all trucks should have an inline 3 cylinder.

I can pop off one spark plug wire for ya.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #50
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

lol