The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #26
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

Re: First time welding...and I suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by team39763 View Post
A neighbor told me I could get away with not using a helmet as long as i kept it to a few seconds of exposure. A friend gave me a helmet and gave me a quick lesson. And told me to check out that site mentioned by nonhog. Its too windy to try again tonight so i'll go at it in the morning and report back. That helmet makes a huge difference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Next time you see your neighbor punch him in the mouth. Read this http://www.ehow.com/list_6823287_eff...face-eyes.html ,this http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showt...thout-a-helmet .Would you stare directly at the sun? A lit weld is worse because its right in front of your face. Not trying to give you a hard time but Blindness doesnt seem like very much fun. Be more careful and especially be careful who you take advice from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin63 View Post
This really pains me, so I can't imagine the discomfort you're going through. Please visit and speak with the experts at a welding supply outlet, and never, never do any welding or anything with a torch without an appropriate welding helmet/shield. I know of people with permanent eye damage from less exposure than you just experienced. Also, the machine you're using is not appropriate for what you're trying to do.
The person that told you it was ok to weld without a helmet needs, I mean really needs, a swift kick in the junk. With steel toe boots.
Dude, cableguy, welding in shorts and a t-shirt? Flash burns? Skin cancer? Flash burns hurt worse than sunburn. wth

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

2002 Chevy Trailblazer LS 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitmitchell View Post
....wear your adult diaper when you go out to play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I am tard.
Do, or do not, there is no try
Sub-versive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #27
cableguy0

Im mainly welding exhaust overhead. Havent had any problems other than sparks coming down. Not saying its right but when its 100+ in the shop and your under a hot car its bad enough to just wear a helmet.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #28
mongoose

welding in shorts is ok... imo.. If i had the option to wear shorts now I would be.. too farkin' hot out lol. but i also weld on a table so my legs does see the arc so much.. just spatter falling down into my boot.. you just learn to dance while running beads.. thats all.

but yeah.. wear a helmet.. i've had flash twice... ie sand in eye balls for 2 days straight.. not that much fun. 2nd time I did learn even reflections can give it to you.. so looking away is sometimes not enough.. d'oh!

I've also developed a nice case of photophobia, tho I'm not sure if it's directly related being flashed.. or in combination of tacking with eyes closed/looking away, but yeah.. photophobia.. equally fun... can't really go outside in sunlight unless i'm wearing sunglasses or i'll be squinting like a mofo while my eyes are watering something fierce.. and driving on wet roads IE glare/setting sun.. good luck lol.. deffo need sunglasses for that.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #29
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

You guys wearing shorts and short sleeve shirts, at least apply sunscreen. I had to add a chin flap to my welding helmet because every once in awhile tig welding upper bars of a roll cage, I would get a sunburn on my neck and throat.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #30
Gobbles

I always just let the sweat run with my leather coat, gloves, mask (autodark miller) and jeans on regardless of the temperature. Sweating isn't bad for ya, it can sometimes make the work a little tougher but it beats getting burnt.

When I do overhead I find that the coat doesn't protect my nexk enough so I wear a "bib" of sorts to keep from getting sparks on my neck.

Even with precautions you can get flashed once and while and when that happens it sucks!

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote