The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
CRGRS 66

Re: Steering Column Rebuild Threads ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda360 View Post
Mine all came out whein I disassembled the column from the top. Been awhile since I did it, but I dont recall cutting, drilling, grinding, BFHing anything. There should be a large tube that runs from the collar your shifter mounts to, down to this piece. When you remove the parts from the top, turn signal cam,, horn ect. This should slide right out...

I think its year specific, but the top bearing (more like a bushing) should come as part of the horn contact.

I didnt look at mine from a purist perspective, its just way cheaper to rebuild the OEM part... With the exception of not having tilt, they look just like the aftermarket ones. Plus, its a good little project for winter (father son kinda thing) ... This is not hard, very few parts, straight forward job.

There is also a Jeep part you may need. Its the rubber boot the covers the flexable coupler on engine side of firewall. Ill have to dig out part number, but noone makes this simpl, cheap part for our trucks...
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, appreciate the input. It has been really hard for me to get any garage time for a while... and so much to do

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
theastronaut

Re: Steering Column Rebuild Threads ???

You mentioned building a cover for the bottom of the column; the floor shift columns had a cover from the factory- bottom left piece. It's held on by the bolts that hold the lower bearing in place.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote