The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #26
MalibuSSwagon

Re: bucket conversion and console

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Monkey View Post
What's the overhead console and light set up from? That's awesome.
It's the Suburban overhead console. I didn't grab the overhead console because it looked too long. Did you cut it down to fit?
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #27
Gates72ss

it came out of an 87 suburban , Yeah i had to modify it a little but it came out nice...
83 lifted stepside
lifted 2011 tahoe
Gates72ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #28
rs74

Dragging this back out of the cobwebs. I have some questions if you can bear with me. Looking at buying a set of 90 burb buckets, console seat belts and dash for my shortbed.

First ? is do I need to switch the seat brackets from the buckets to ones from a bench as I have heard you can do that or is it just as easy to get the brackets from the burb for the inners of the buckets. Also does the female end of the seat belt bolt in where the seat bolts down on these?

Second ? is about the overhead console. I am going for the look that Gates72 has in his pics. I think that turned out nice. Are most of the lets say 85-91 overhead consoles the same length? I was thinking of an 03 Silverado console but might be easier to do one of these. Exactly how to they mount. Are there brackets welded to the roof or is there some type of reinforcement there?

Third thing is door panels. I like the look of Gates72 passenger side door panel. The only problem is getting one to match the drivers side without having four window switches. So not sure how to work that out. Gmachinz did a pretty good job on his panels. I think he took the burb cloth insert out and trimmed it down and put it in a truck door panel. The thing with that is finding the correct shade of gray in a truck which I don't think they made. Running out of options here. I have also thought about putting in the drivers side burb panel and try using one of the back window switches to operate my back power sliding glass window. Not really fond of having that look since to me it kind of looks half a** done. I want to have the same cloth as the seats in the door panels. Any suggestions on any of this.

Oh and one more thing. How much difference is the burb seat belts compared to the truck belts. Someone mentioned they don't fit quite right. Would I be better off using the truck male belts and the burb female ends. I know this is alot of questions but thought this might be the right thread to add to. Thanks guys.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:11 AM   #29
KrazyRay

You should be able to use all of the burb bucket seat tracks, but you will need to modify the angle at the back of them to fit the contour of the truck floor. Also, grab the inside front bucket towers from the donor burb.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #30
Anchorism

Heres a snap shot of the blazer seats in the rig im working on picking up. This was actually installed by the dealer when it was new. Apparently the story goes the buyer ordered the truck bucket seats, and it came in with a bench. So they were furious and to please them the dealer pulled seats from a blazer and made brackets for the seats to bolt in to the truck..... Im personally not a huge fan but they look better than the bench! The back seat actually matches the front buckets pattern wise. Ill probably pull them once i buy it though....I can try and get some better pics this weekend seeing as how im gonna go hang out there.
Anchorism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM   #31
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyRay View Post
You should be able to use all of the burb bucket seat tracks, but you will need to modify the angle at the back of them to fit the contour of the truck floor. Also, grab the inside front bucket towers from the donor burb.
Thank You!

1987 R10 shortie
Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #32
Rich84

The seat belts that I grabbed out of a burb are designed a little differently. They sit up higher and are a little above the seat. Not a big deal, but I would like to replace with a truck belt. The seat belt retractor is actually acouple of
inces off the floor. You can't really tell from this picture.
Name:  IMG_1270.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  73.9 KB
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:59 AM   #33
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
The seat belts that I grabbed out of a burb are designed a little differently. They sit up higher and are a little above the seat. Not a big deal, but I would like to replace with a truck belt. The seat belt retractor is actually acouple of
inces off the floor. You can't really tell from this picture.
Attachment 1208599
Do they just not set right when latched on you? Wasn't really sure what the issue was. I do have some charcoal belts from a pickup if I have to use them. The 90 burb seats I am buying will come with the belts too.. I just replied in another thread to Gmachinz as he said there is two different inner latch styles. One must set up more by the seat making it easier to get ahold of and latch. Not sure if the other wants to fall down to the floor or what. I have to send payment yet on them but hopefully soon they will be here. All I need now is the burb cloth door panel inserts to match the seats.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 01-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #34
Rich84

If you look at the retractor "box" you can see it is a little higher then the seat..It could be because the seats are so old and squished down.

If you want to sell your charcoal seat belts, I would be VERY interested.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:52 AM   #35
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
Dragging this back out of the cobwebs. I have some questions if you can bear with me. Looking at buying a set of 90 burb buckets, console seat belts and dash for my shortbed.

First ? is do I need to switch the seat brackets from the buckets to ones from a bench as I have heard you can do that or is it just as easy to get the brackets from the burb for the inners of the buckets. Also does the female end of the seat belt bolt in where the seat bolts down on these?

Second ? is about the overhead console. I am going for the look that Gates72 has in his pics. I think that turned out nice. Are most of the lets say 85-91 overhead consoles the same length? I was thinking of an 03 Silverado console but might be easier to do one of these. Exactly how to they mount. Are there brackets welded to the roof or is there some type of reinforcement there?

Third thing is door panels. I like the look of Gates72 passenger side door panel. The only problem is getting one to match the drivers side without having four window switches. So not sure how to work that out. Gmachinz did a pretty good job on his panels. I think he took the burb cloth insert out and trimmed it down and put it in a truck door panel. The thing with that is finding the correct shade of gray in a truck which I don't think they made. Running out of options here. I have also thought about putting in the drivers side burb panel and try using one of the back window switches to operate my back power sliding glass window. Not really fond of having that look since to me it kind of looks half a** done. I want to have the same cloth as the seats in the door panels. Any suggestions on any of this.

Oh and one more thing. How much difference is the burb seat belts compared to the truck belts. Someone mentioned they don't fit quite right. Would I be better off using the truck male belts and the burb female ends. I know this is alot of questions but thought this might be the right thread to add to. Thanks guys.
look for a burb with power locks and manual windows,it will work for the drivers door
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #36
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Those talking about stuff rattling in the console look at this refurb link. The 81-87(91)'s had a liner in them.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...p?topic=9540.0
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #37
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos View Post
Those talking about stuff rattling in the console look at this refurb link. The 81-87(91)'s had a liner in them.

Good idea!

1987 R10 shortie
Old 02-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #38
StarDust

Am i the only one wo did it the semi hard way? Got my buckets for $35
StarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #39
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
I used a couple Hi-Lift jack mounting brackets that I had lying around. They were practically a spot on clone to the factory bracket and worked great.

Much easier than cutting brackets out of donor vehicle at the junk yard too.

Is that something that you bought somewhere? If so could you provide a link to them? I searched and saw that they're a jeep accessory part, but did you buy them separately somewhere?

I got some burb buckets I recovered and I need to get 'em installed.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #40
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
Is that something that you bought somewhere? If so could you provide a link to them? I searched and saw that they're a jeep accessory part, but did you buy them separately somewhere?

I got some burb buckets I recovered and I need to get 'em installed.
Yeah, but I don’t know if $34 would be worth buying an entire Hi-Lift jack mounting kit just to cut up one bracket. I just happen to have them laying around left over from a different project and found the bracket seemed to work well for installing the bucket seats . Seems like something could be created from scratch for much less money rather than ordering them just for this purpose.

You can buy them from Desert Rat
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #41
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos View Post

I did get the liner with my console, it was clean so I took it.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #42
Skunksmash

Quote:
Yeah, but I don’t know if $34 would be worth buying an entire Hi-Lift jack mounting kit just to cut up one bracket. I just happen to have them laying around left over from a different project and found the bracket seemed to work well for installing the bucket seats . Seems like something could be created from scratch for much less money rather than ordering them just for this purpose.

You can buy them from Desert Rat
They look a hair on the thin side, can't tell. Yours look thicker. Look like they might just squish, can't really tell lol

I guess we gonna find out!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #43
Rich84

They really aren't that hard to shop out of a Burb..
Old 02-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #44
Skunksmash

You gotta cut em out on site. IIRC, they're welded to the floor.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #45
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Actually, I believe the Suburban brackets are just spot welded to the floor. These days with high zoot cordless drills it would seem they would be pretty easy to drill out the spot welds at the bone yard.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #46
gmachinz
Account Suspended

That's a Suburban overhead console.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #47
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Actually, I believe the Suburban brackets are just spot welded to the floor. These days with high zoot cordless drills it would seem they would be pretty easy to drill out the spot welds at the bone yard.
or take out the floor around the bracket,big hammer,and chisel....
bring that home and clean it up
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #48
legendman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyRay View Post
x2 I put a set of burb buckets in my K30, bent the rear part of the bracket in a vise and got some flat bar and bent it for the front
inboard seat track, the outer track bolted to the original bench seat location

Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote