The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #26
f18delta

Re: Couple of question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
yes, it should stay in the window track all the way down. Have you taken the door panel off and checked things out? Maybe just some of the bolts are loose/missing that hold the regulator on or motor on.

Or maybe the wheel that follows the track on the bottom of the window glass is bad. About midpoint on that channel is a widening section where the track wheel can come out. Maybe something there.

To find out for sure, get the door panel off and investigate.

If you do need a new regulator, go to the junkyard. That's what I did (my wheel was broken). I think I paid $10 for it and also was able to practice taking out the glass without fear of breaking it or scratching it.

And, while you have it out...nows the time to throw a new window motor in there. I think Napa was a good place for pricing. If the motor is slow, replacing should help.
Got the panel off and have noticed that where the bolts go in to hold the regulator are rounded out a bit. The window follows the track about halfway down then jumps ship. I'll see if I can pick up a new regulator. The one that's in there now looks like it's either bent or worn to a point of failure. There seems to be some of the teeth that look to be grinding together.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #27
Ski-me

Re: Couple of question

Hope you have a junkyard nearby. Great resource on a cheap part and also the ability to practice on a "junker" before you touch your rig. Remember the motor too. Worth doing now if a new regulator is going in.....

$37 each at napa + maybe saving 10% for holidays.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote