The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
school boy

Re: One reason to LOVE your square!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Those were mainly in trucks with more room though

I did a cam (or I should say cams) swap in a mustang 4.6 mod motor for a customer, not fun to work on for sure so I feel your pain.

You could try your hands on my 69 mach SCJ, I hate just doing plugs in that thing, and it's simplistic compared to a new car. Just no room to work.
the engine in the pic has the comp 270's cams, but the engine isnt the factory one. i built a aluminum block, 11.5 to 1 with ported heads, ported svo intake, blah blah blah. i actually bolted the k member the the engine and came in from the bottom. still was harder than working on my square
school boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #27
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

we were warned! back in 68 lol computers don't always get you home

Dave : Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?
HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
Dave : Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave : What's the problem?
HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Dave : What are you talking about, HAL?
HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Dave : I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.
HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Dave : [feigning ignorance] Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?
HAL: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.
Dave : Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.
Dave : HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!
HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #28
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Interest in our trucks makes us love them, but I HATE it when people are TOUCHING MY TRUCK in parking lots and other such places. I NEVER touch another person's vehicle without permission either.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #29
Bow Tie Scottie

One reason. That could be a hard one. I can remember while on a lunch break at work and just sitting in the cab, listening to the radio and of course eating lunch. Sometimes I think of it being my home away from home. Recently I drove my sister-in-law's '99 with computers, nice interior, fuel injected extended cab, nice stereo and so forth. Still it was not my truck, yet it would make a good alternative! LOL.
Posted via Mobile Device

86 Chevy Scottsdale C20, SBC 350, TH400, 4.10 gear ratio
Bow Tie Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #30
sethv

So easy to work on, that's why I love my truck! (Even though it's turning into a pile of crap)
sethv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #31
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tie Scottie View Post
One reason. That could be a hard one. I can remember while on a lunch break at work and just sitting in the cab, listening to the radio and of course eating lunch. Sometimes I think of it being my home away from home. Recently I drove my sister-in-law's '99 with computers, nice interior, fuel injected extended cab, nice stereo and so forth. Still it was not my truck, yet it would make a good alternative! LOL.Posted via Mobile Device
That stuff can spoil you real quick, it's happened to so many already
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #32
rusty76

When I was looking for another truck and one to beat around in I told the guy at the dealership I wanted something simple. We looked at a bunch of trucks. A ton of trucks. They were all okay. Most were exteded cabs and crewcabs. I'll be honest I didn't want either, nor did I want power windows, seats and all that other crap. So we kept looking and found a '07 Colorado. It was plane jane down to the rubber mats, non power anything. It only had 10k on it, that was in January. I've had people tell me you should have bought a four door or got power this or that. The nicest thing on the truck is the radio. I drive it daily right now, but I imagine once I get my '76 back on the road I will drive it much more. Why? Because looking out the windsheild of a classic truck is different than looking out the windshield of a new truck.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #33
GM-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
When I was looking for another truck and one to beat around in I told the guy at the dealership I wanted something simple. We looked at a bunch of trucks. A ton of trucks. They were all okay. Most were exteded cabs and crewcabs. I'll be honest I didn't want either, nor did I want power windows, seats and all that other crap. So we kept looking and found a '07 Colorado. It was plane jane down to the rubber mats, non power anything. It only had 10k on it, that was in January. I've had people tell me you should have bought a four door or got power this or that. The nicest thing on the truck is the radio. I drive it daily right now, but I imagine once I get my '76 back on the road I will drive it much more. Why? Because looking out the windsheild of a classic truck is different than looking out the windshield of a new truck.
I agree people who don't have a classic don't understand the thrill to drive one, whether it be a car or truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #34
clinebarger

Never thought Id see the day people referring to square bodies as "Classics"
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #35
GM-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
I know but 33 years seem like enough time to consider it somewhat classic. Sierra classic has to stand for something lol..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #36
Firebirdjones

Yeah that classic term still strikes me as odd for a square body. Just not quite old enough in my eyes and even then, it's just hard to fathem I think. Probably because I still use mine is it was intended, to tow and haul.

If it ever gets too old to the point I think it needs to be a sunday driver, then I'll have to find another truck
Old 11-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #37
ssapach

I love my 1986 1 ton. I can buy all new wheel bearings and seals for the 4 corners and it's still cheaper than a single front wheel bearing unit for my 2006 Sierra.

Locking hubs, nothing wrong with saving some wear and tear on the front diff by not having it spin all the time.

Fixed yoke t-case outputs. I can remove a driveshaft and still drive home if I needed to.

My 2006 Sierra has some goofy balancer on the rear pinion shaft, it has half of the pinion seal attached to the balancer. It cost me about $250 to replace the rear pinion seal because this whole balancer needs to be replaced with it. The rear pinion seal for my 1986 1 ton is about $12 and takes 20 minutes to replace.

I'm sure I could think of a few other reasons to love the square body.....
ssapach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #38
GM-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Yeah that classic term still strikes me as odd for a square body. Just not quite old enough in my eyes and even then, it's just hard to fathem I think. Probably because I still use mine is it was intended, to tow and haul.

If it ever gets too old to the point I think it needs to be a sunday driver, then I'll have to find another truck
I've heard people call 88-98s classic. mines a dd and dont really think of it as classic. Its just a classic cause its old.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #39
big10ratrod77

the one reason i love my square is... EVERY TIME i walk out the door i know my 77 and 79 are both ready... both trucks have well over 215k on them they are at the point they need to be retired but you can go out and mash the gas once and touch the key and thay are running, no computer to tell it it cant run they are just always ready and never called apon
77 chevy BIG DOOLEY 454/sm-465/14 bolt 4.10s "fully loaded"
73 plymouth duster 225 slant six/230 3 speed/8 1/4 trying to acheve 300 horse six http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3135091
'77 chevy trucks. built to stay tough.
life is short build a hot rod
big10ratrod77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #40
foamypirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
Yup,I am with the simpler the better.My daily work trucks are an 82 6.2 diesel,86 350, or a 81 CCLB 454, depends on what I want to run that day,no computers.What is 30 years of wear& tear gonna do to that computer controlled LSX?? It will be in the wrecking yard or have been turned into scrap while the carb will still be running and if it quits,I can probably still limp it home!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Gotta disagree...my TBI 305 still has the original computer, and it's going on 25+ years old...
foamypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #41
Firebirdjones

I don't think he means everyone out there, but computers are definately just another electronic device that can bite the bullet without warning. Electronics are funny that way.

I rarely see the engine computer go on the blitz but it does happen. What I see most of the time is the BCM or ABS modules fail. Both of them are also very pricey to replace, and I can do without either one to be honest. The less electronic stuff the better.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #42
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssapach View Post
My 2006 Sierra has some goofy balancer on the rear pinion shaft, it has half of the pinion seal attached to the balancer. It cost me about $250 to replace the rear pinion seal because this whole balancer needs to be replaced with it.
It's a torsional damper (like a harmonic balancer) tuned to knock down rear axle whine.

You probably could have replaced it with a regular pinion flange and not noticed any difference.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #43
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA View Post
Years ago when computers started taking over the world some Einstein decided that it was time to re-invent the wheel by ADDING something to vehicles to make them better that THEY DID NOT NEED in order to run. Why anyone would add something as unreliable as a computer to a vehicle is beyond me. Especially since the computer CANNOT be bypassed in any way so that if it fails the vehicle is as useful as a nuclear hand grenade. I have seen people who had to give up their vehicles because they could not afford the new COMPUTER to replace the one that went bad. Years ago a movie was released that tried to warn us that computers were unreliable, and if we got too dependant on them they could destroy civilization as we know it. This movie was called "The Terminator" and we learned NOTHING from it. Give me my computer-less vehicles any day.
This...

This is where we disagree, sir. Computers have taken vehicles to new heights, as has fuel injection. They last far longer and the list of benefits just goes on and on. And on. If carbs were so great they'd still be around.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #44
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
This...

If carbs were so great they'd still be around.
They are still around, I have several cars in the garage with carbs

Some of them daggum carbs are pricey too
Old 11-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #45
Rich84

My TPI computer is 28 years old..I had an old TBI to use as a core , so I picked up a new computer as a spare for trouble shooting for $80.00...Long story short, for some stupid reason I have been running the truck with the "new" computer. Guess what. It lasted about 5000 miles. So I'm back to the 28 year old with no problems.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #46
Can't kech me

i don't understand how you can argue that a carb is better than fuel injection from any standpoint. you might say it's easier to work on...changing jets on a carb can take hours...changing injectors can take minutes...changing the AFR on a carbed engine required the truck be stopped, with the hood open. changing the AFR on a fuel injected engine is as easy as plugging in the computer, which can be done will the truck is running, allowing you to tune on the fly. same with timing. some say gen I small block chevys are the easiest engines to work on, a cam swap on a LSX engine can take a matter of a couple hours. fuel injection is far superior in every single way...

a STOCK 325 cu in LS truck engine makes 300hp 320ft/lbs tq and gets 18 mpg in the city all long...

what does your stock carburated 350 make?

you may say that with a little work it could make that much...well you could spend maybe a total of 10 hours on that little 5.3l/325 cu in ls engine doing a cam, valvespring, intake, and longtube header install and have it tuned and make 400hp 425ft/lbs of tq

i understand that all the interior electronics and headlight computers and automated evrything is a little overkill, but saying that carburation is better than fuel injection? that's the craziest thing i've ever heard...

Can't kech me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #47
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't kech me View Post
i don't understand how you can argue that a carb is better than fuel injection from any standpoint. you might say it's easier to work on...changing jets on a carb can take hours...changing injectors can take minutes...changing the AFR on a carbed engine required the truck be stopped, with the hood open. changing the AFR on a fuel injected engine is as easy as plugging in the computer, which can be done will the truck is running, allowing you to tune on the fly. same with timing. some say gen I small block chevys are the easiest engines to work on, a cam swap on a LSX engine can take a matter of a couple hours. fuel injection is far superior in every single way...

a STOCK 325 cu in LS truck engine makes 300hp 320ft/lbs tq and gets 18 mpg in the city all long...

what does your stock carburated 350 make?

you may say that with a little work it could make that much...well you could spend maybe a total of 10 hours on that little 5.3l/325 cu in ls engine doing a cam, valvespring, intake, and longtube header install and have it tuned and make 400hp 425ft/lbs of tq

i understand that all the interior electronics and headlight computers and automated evrything is a little overkill, but saying that carburation is better than fuel injection? that's the craziest thing i've ever heard...
You conveniently forgot to mention the huge price differences Not to mention on top of that you need a laptop, and $650 software, plus a $400 wideband setup, just to tune an LS fuel injection setup properly, or run it with a FAST controller setup and tune with that. Neither are cheap. Most don't want to make the huge investment.

Carbs are still the favorite among the hobbiest, for good reason, they are dirt cheap to work on and maintain. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and actually love the simplicity and cost of a carb setup. I've already mentioned how road side repairs are much easier too. Not to mention every LS engine test done so far, carbs rain supreme on the dyno Even with an aftermarket FAST setup.

I don't mean to sound like a carb nut, I'm actually on both sides of the fence as I work on both and I own and drive both. They both have their place and an argument can be made either way. Everyone has their preference and a pocket book to work with.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #48
rusty76

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Me neither but if you pat attention to the aftermarket they are starting to call'em classics. Though I don't really consider my truck old......But you know people considered '72 classics for years, although I don't get that either. Just like people calling '78 Malibus, '79 Mustangs and Caprices from the late 70's and 80's classics. I love reading some of the crap on CL where somebody is selling a " '80 Caprice Classic. Ready to restore and could be worth something 2k." Really?
My build thread
Crossmembers CC

Last edited by rusty76; 11-27-2012 at 07:32 PM.
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #49
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Me neither but if you pat attention to the aftermarket they are starting to call'em classics. Though I don't really consider my truck old......But you know people considered '72 classics for years, although I don't get that either. Just like people calling '78 Malibus, '79 Mustangs and Caprices from the late 70's and 80's classics. I love reading some of the crap on CL where somebody is selling a " '80 Caprice Classic. Ready to restore and could be worth something 2k." Really?
If it has electric wipers & a padded dash....Its not a Classic
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #50
Rubble

I am not talking about TBI,I am talking about all the newer computer controlled trucks out there now,too many sensors and stuff to deal with.Like firebird said,you need laptop,software etc to go along with it,or the GM dealership to service it.That computer controlled truck is great if you break down in town,but out in the bush where your miles from civilization,give me a carb any day!!! I can limp it home!!
Posted via Mobile Device

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote