The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #26
70c10stepside

Re: Wouldn't start. Now starts!!???

Oem fuel pumps are a piece of cake! Its on the passenger side, towards the bottom front if ya didn't know.
Posted via Mobile Device
70c10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #27
Dnrice

Thanks 70c10
Dnrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #28
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Looks like you have headers, which could help to cause the solenoid heat soak/no start condition. Also the engine is either from a later model vehicle or someone swapped the alternator over to the passenger side. The '67 to '72's all had the alternator on the drivers side. Seeing that you said that the heads are camel humps. There should be no accessory holes in the heads. Unless someone drilled and tapped them. So check your alternator mount to make sure it's stable.

My engine is runnin' 10.5:1 compression and I can run on 89 octane fuel. Unless you have some serious compression, or are spending some time above 5,500 RPM's, you're tossing money away by burning premium fuel. That being said. Run a tank of 87 in it and see if it pings and has no balls. If it does... step up to 89. If it still pings a little, then run 92 in it.

My '72 has a TH350 and a SBC 350 that cruises on the Highway at around 3,300 at 70mph. I have 3.73's in the ass end.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #29
biggestjohn

Please, please, pleeeeeease do not start replacing parts hoping to get lucky and fix it. It would be cheaper in the long run to hire an experienced mechanic!!!

.......every time I screw up, I learn something. Needless to say, I'm learning all the time............
biggestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #30
BrutonLS1

Not to high-jack the thread, but today when I started the truck, my starter continued to run?? I had to pull a battery cable to get it to stop? It worked normally after that, and has never done that before? what happened?

1968 GMC long bed 5.7/700R4
--I'd rather push a Chevy, than drive a Ford.--
BrutonLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #31
Dnrice

Come on, Biggestjohn, spending money with no results is fun! Actually, I would only feel good about doing stuff that need to replaced because of age. Battery, fuel pump, starter, etc... Not too expensive and part of the fun is getting to know your way around the truck.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #32
biggestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnrice View Post
Come on, Biggestjohn, spending money with no results is fun! Actually, I would only feel good about doing stuff that need to replaced because of age. Battery, fuel pump, starter, etc... Not too expensive and part of the fun is getting to know your way around the truck.
I recon so............

Come on, Biggestjohn, spending money with no results is fun! Yea, been there many times!!

My truck prefers to drain my wallet in other ways..........too much imagination is very expensive, and kind of frustrating.

If you really want to work on engines/electrical, buy a 1989 Corvette, the one I USED to have taught me a LOT of lessons!!! You will have so much fun fixing it that you will be delirious!!!

.......every time I screw up, I learn something. Needless to say, I'm learning all the time............

Last edited by biggestjohn; 12-07-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: mo
biggestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #33
twich3136

the starter sounds heat related, my truck had the same symptoms. the exhaust was way too close to the starter, so close i couldnt get my pinky between them. i managed to pull the exhaust away about an inch by loosening the bolts on the down pipe and adjusting it that way. some header wrap might work if you cant move yours.

your backfiring issues could be caused by a lot of different things.
start with the simple ones.

timing,
spark plugs,
point gap(unless you have an hei dist ),
fuel pressure,
carb tune,
make sure your coil power wire isnt being tapped into to power anything else. mine was used for three other things and the coil was being starved causing a higher rpm hiccup.
check your valve lash,
your electrical wires for good connections and general condition (not breaking or corroded),
make sure you dont have a vacuum leak or an exhaust leak that could be sucking in cold air.
check your spark plug wires as well.

none of these check will require you to buy anything unless they happen to be malfunctioning. and if they are why not upgrade

USMC
SEMPER FI
68 Chevy Longhorn 350/400 factory posi
twich3136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #34
twich3136

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutonLS1 View Post
Not to high-jack the thread, but today when I started the truck, my starter continued to run?? I had to pull a battery cable to get it to stop? It worked normally after that, and has never done that before? what happened?
check your wires, if they are fine get it bench tested, a lot of places will do it free. maybe your ignition switch got hung up?

USMC
SEMPER FI
68 Chevy Longhorn 350/400 factory posi
twich3136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #35
luvbowties

Exclamation Re: Wouldn't start. Now starts!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnrice View Post
Just brought my 71 C10 home from mechanic. First time home!!! Kids and wife love the look. It has 350 with a 350 turbo transmission and double hump heads. They changed the Holley carburetor which now has a choke and I drove it on the freeway fast, but not too fast because of the turbo transmission. It would backfire sometimes! Got home parked it and then tried to start it and it wouldn't start. It didn't turn. It was like it had a dead battery. Waited 20 minutes and it fired right up. What do you think the problem is? By the way, I am using high octane gasoline.
I'd start by removing and cleaning all 4 ends of the battery cables AND the places they attach to. Use wire brush, sandpaper, knife, terminal cleaner for battery--anything to scrape off old built-up deposits that cause partial contact.
HTH,
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #36
Dnrice

Great suggestions. I will work on it this weekend. Also, going to do a good cleaning of outside and inside. Might polish the paint.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #37
midniteblues

just curious when you were driving it did you push the choke off?
I'm just saying that could be your fast idle situation and driving it fast with the choke on could cause the back fireing and cause the engine more heat than normally and then you get the no start

If you did push off the choke then I would suspect the starter,battery or cables
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #38
Dnrice

Choke is electronic.

Also, the starter is close to the manifolds.