The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #26
tsmith

Re: Vortex heads

Someone needs to look up hotfod magazine they had a article on vortec Heads, with Dyno proof 80 horse power bolt on. Go to your local library hot rod also wrote a book about it
its about all GM small block Heads. People think they know something and they dont.
Lots of my friends use vortec Heads with nitrous because they flow really good
Posted via Mobile Device
tsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #27
BigBlocksRule

Hotrod magazine will write anything that any sponsor tells them to.
You go on reading, I've built several engines with vortecs and other GM castings, 80 bolt-on hp is still BS.
They're good heads, but they ain't 80hp better than any other GM casting.
Don't believe everything you read. I have real world experience that says otherwise and so do thousands of other engine builders, none of them will claim anything near 80hp difference with Vortec heads.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
kalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith View Post
Vortec heads give you 80 bolt on horse power, Vortec heads require a different intake that the bolts go straight down, tbi bolts are about a 30 degree angle. I had a 350, Vortec heads and a comp 274 extreme energy cam in a 84 swb, would eat up a Lt1 Z28 for lunch with bad tires
Wait just a minute... I have to get my waders on.

For the OP, changing to a different EFI system is going to be a thousand dollars or more. There's nothing *wrong* with TBI, it's just not suited for every situation, one of them being high revving horsepower.

Have a look at the information here: http://www.tbichips.com/truckmods.htm

It's a pretty good read for TBI info, the guy has done his homework. The only thing I really disagree with is his statement that "TBI heads are the worst flowing..." That's not correct IMO, based on my own observations and those of other sources. Either way it has some good information about squeezing some more from your TBI. Most all of the mods suggested would hold true for any motor.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #29
Jsieger89

yes that we sight is what I'm basing my hole build on! that's the reason I'm was going with the vortex heads to begin with!
Posted via Mobile Device
Jsieger89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #30
kalbert

Another thing to keep in mind.... Everybody thinks 300-350HP is the golden ticket. In reality that wheezing old 200HP TBI 350 is maybe making 180HP now, and that's really no fun at all. Doing even a cheapo ring and bearing rebuild, gasket matching the heads with a die grinder, checking/lapping the valves, adding a cheapo 204/214 Sealed Power cam, cheapo Summit headers & air cleaner, a Performer intake, and some fine tuning with fuel pressure and timing watching efficiency will net you some seat of the pants fun to the tune of ~50HP over what you're at. You won't have a choppy race car idle, but you will have a nice all around performer that's fun to drive.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #31
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
Hotrod magazine will write anything that any sponsor tells them to.
You go on reading, I've built several engines with vortecs and other GM castings, 80 bolt-on hp is still BS.
They're good heads, but they ain't 80hp better than any other GM casting.
Don't believe everything you read. I have real world experience that says otherwise and so do thousands of other engine builders, none of them will claim anything near 80hp difference with Vortec heads.
Up to 80hp is very reasonable. But the thing they are best at Is torque. Man them heads can gets some big block torque going on. Tbi swirl ports do flow horrible. The make good low end torque with the swirl but the ports flow is lingered in the fact that they gain a lot of turbulence as the lift increases.
This is a prob on vortecs as they get turbulent at about 480lift and with bowl blending they are good for .500 lift.
It's all about combos and purpose. If your using factory parts use them for thier purpose. Throwing a .550 lift cam in a vortec or tbi engine is obviously going to make a disappointing build
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote