The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #26
_Ogre

Re: Aftermarket electric fan options for 55-59 pickups

the fan i have is a 16'' puller, the same fan and shroud that denee is using
i can't recommend a minimum cfm but i'd say that for a fan bigger is better
this is the shroud i have in the parts4sale for a 16'' fan
it is the same shroud that denee and i have on our trucks
with one minor exception, the tabs are welded on the wrong edge

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #27
NW Task Force

Exclamation electric fan problem

Hey folks, ran into a little problem the other night. I bought a complete Spal 16" fan kit from Speedway. The kit includes thermal switch, wiring and relay. I ended up warming the engine up to 200 degrees...........the fan never came on. I checked the temp with an infrared temp gun. The thermostat is rated to come on at 195. I checked all the wiring, directions, grounds, power, etc. The fan physically works when the thermal switch is manually grounded to the battery. It seems the thermal switch is bad. Anyone else experience this before? I assume Speedway or Spal can help me get a new one.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #28
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Re: electric fan problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Task Force View Post
Hey folks, ran into a little problem the other night. I bought a complete Spal 16" fan kit from Speedway. The kit includes thermal switch, wiring and relay. I ended up warming the engine up to 200 degrees...........the fan never came on. I checked the temp with an infrared temp gun. The thermostat is rated to come on at 195. I checked all the wiring, directions, grounds, power, etc. The fan physically works when the thermal switch is manually grounded to the battery. It seems the thermal switch is bad. Anyone else experience this before? I assume Speedway or Spal can help me get a new one.
By chance, did you put teflon tape or other type of pipe sealant on the threads on the sensor prior to install?
If so, it maybe working although the sealant maybe preventing it from properly grounding. Sorry i dont mean to sound rude, it is a mistake i have made before.

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #29
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Ground the relay lead to the side of the switch. If the fan comes on its the switch, if not ground to the motor if it comes on it maybe tape on the threads, if it does not come on it maybe the ground to the motor.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #30
NW Task Force

Red face Not sure if this sounds right...........

Originally I installed the switch with NO sealant of any kind. I was thinking that sealants would affect the grounding of it. I filled the radiator with coolant and found coolant seeping through the threads.........tightened it up a bit...........still seeping. Took it out and applied "indian head" gasket sealant. No more leaks If this type of sealant is affecting the grounding of it........how can I get a good ground while making sure the fitting doesn't leak?
Old 06-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #31
55dude

Flex-a-lite in Fife makes a great switch and they are easy to install, they use sensor that slides into radiator fins. I have used tons of these and they work killer. I buy them direct and will continue to use them with my fans from pull a part, the fans that most aftermarket are designed after.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #32
_Ogre

like dwcsr said; ground the sensor wire, the fan should turn on. if not you have a wiring problem.
you can check the sensor by immersing it in water on the stove with an ohm meter hooked to it
you can check the water temp with a thermometer, the sensor should go to ground at 195* +5*

if you have a 195* thermostat, hang it in the same water by a thread stuck in the opening part.
when the thermostat drops into the pot, the water is 195*

i would test it and if it's bad, you'll have some proof of badness
otherwise speedway will think you fubar'd the wiring

Old 06-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #33
NW Task Force

I have verified that the sensor wire manually grounded does make the fan go on. I can also hear/feel the relay box "click". The wiring all looks correct and seems sound. It's just hard to believe the sensor threads are so sensitive to sealants of any kind if a lack of "ground" is causing the inoperative fan. I am wondering if some kind of grounding device can be attached to the sensor housing???
Old 06-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #34
_Ogre

you must have a bad sensor
teflon tape can insulate the ground
but i've never seen dope insulate the sensor

Old 06-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #35
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
I have verified that the sensor wire manually grounded does make the fan go on. I can also hear/feel the relay box "click". The wiring all looks correct and seems sound. It's just hard to believe the sensor threads are so sensitive to sealants of any kind if a lack of "ground" is causing the inoperative fan. I am wondering if some kind of grounding device can be attached to the sensor housing???
Run a pipe tape in the hole and clean up the threads. It may be full of sealer or rust or corrosion if its aluminum manifold. Then use one turn of tape and see what happens.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #36
jimig1

Re: electric fan problem

Quote:
I had a bad thermal switch from speedway it was not a spal it was a speedway branded switch and swapped it out no questions.
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #37
NW Task Force

Thumbs up Update!

Tonight I was running my engine and allowing the engine to get warmed up in the range associated to the thermostatic fan switch. This time the darn thing came on! I continued to top off my transmission and tune the engine and again........the fan kicked on when it was supposed to. I let it do this several more times. I guess it just needed to be worked a few times? Works great now! This 16" puller really cools the radiator down fast.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #38
_Ogre

good, glad it's working