The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
Blue666

Re: How do I remove the rear brake drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundy View Post
There's a small thing at about 8:00 in the pic above about the size of the head of a nail. Could the star wheel be behind that? I don't want to break something off that should remain.
You can use a set of heavy side cutters (wire cutters) to cut the head off that guide pin. There is one on both sides, one @ 8'oclock & one @ 4' oclock.

This will allow the brake shoes to free up from the backing plate. The drum should come loose then.

New guide pins are available from the local parts stores and are often included in most rebuild kits.

Good Luck.
Blue666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #27
Lugnutz65

When it comes time to adjust the brakes, this is what worked for me. I didn't have or need one of the measuring tools to measure the inside diameter of the drum. This method is very simple.

Step 1. If the drum has a little friction from the brake shoes when you slide it on, that's good! Try to adjust the star wheel so there is at least a little friction, but not too much. Do the same for both rear wheels.

Step 2. Mount your tires

Step 3. Chock the front wheels. Put a jack under the differential and lift the rear axle up enough so BOTH rear tires are off the ground. Have a helper REPEATEDLY press and release the brake pedal WHILE you spin the rear tire in REVERSE. You should hear and maybe even feel the star wheel adjusting the brake shoes to the correct tension. Do this on the other side. Repeat the process UNTIL YOU CAN NO LONGER TURN THE TIRE BY HAND while the brakes are on. Always check your newly installed/adjusted brakes in a safe area in case of unexpected failure.

Why does this work? Well, the star wheel is a design feature that SELF ADJUSTS the brake shoes - but it is only activated by applying the brakes while driving the truck in reverse. We all back up our vehicles several times per day, so the mechanism will keep the brakes properly adjusted as long as they are properly maintained.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #28
Sundy

Thanks for the info. Still can't find it online so I'm going to a pick-a-part place this weekend and see what I can find. Maybe I'll find some other parts while I'm at it.
Sundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #29
ljackson

I picked up stuff for mine at O'reilly's

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...e+hardware+kit

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1312&ppt=C0064

http://zacks64longfleet.shutterfly.com/

Higher res. photos in my gallery.
ljackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #30
WhippinSaw

If you want to order them online, Classicparts has them, http://www.classicparts.com/1955-73-...ctinfo/71-127/ I bought a complete brake kit from them. I would go with new parts as they are not to expensive.
WhippinSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #31
Sundy

Eureka! If that's how you spell that. Much appreciated!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Sundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #32
concretekiller

Ok since we're talking about rear drums, I've got a question. I've got stock rear end with stock drum brakes. On both sides, there is a flat plate bar that runs from shoe to shoe with a spring on one end. My passenger side drum does not have this spring. Where can I buy the spring? What is this bar and spring called?
Posted via Mobile Device
concretekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #33
concretekiller

http://www.pbase.com/nufsed/drumbrake

The strut spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
concretekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #34
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretekiller View Post
Ok since we're talking about rear drums, I've got a question. I've got stock rear end with stock drum brakes. On both sides, there is a flat plate bar that runs from shoe to shoe with a spring on one end. My passenger side drum does not have this spring. Where can I buy the spring? What is this bar and spring called?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd like to know where to get that spring too. Please post the source if you find one.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote