The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #26
tommys72

Re: ridicoulus prices for trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
My other beef is cats that will build a "tribute" car, but want actual car prices. Like taking a '66 Lemans and turning it into a '66 GTO. Or taking a plain jane 6 cylinder Mustang and turning it into a GT 500. Or a Chevy Malibu and turning it into an "LS6" Super Sport.

If you're building a "tribute" rig, you should expect "tribute" prices.

Gary
That irritates me as much as an overpriced truck
Posted via Mobile Device

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #27
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletony View Post
I think in our area the seller knows some young Marine coming home will pay for it.
Seller wouldn't even have to catch one coming home. They'd just have to offer the young warrior a 66% interest loan.

As for the price tag on resto or partial-resto.... You could probably tag on another 6k if you moved the truck to San Diego. It's only worth what you can find a buyer to give you for it. Makes my rambling wreck PRICELESS!
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #28
desertnick69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
I think Obama should buy every one of these fellas a $29,000 Chevy truck!
Ditto

and Gasoline71 & tommys72 Them cats that do that chap my hide. How can they do that and then the guy\gal that buys it and finds out what it really is! no ethics i guess.

Last edited by desertnick69; 01-20-2013 at 02:10 AM.
desertnick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:26 AM   #29
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertnick69 View Post
Ditto

and Gasoline71 & tommys72 Them cats that do that chap my hide. How can they do that and then the guy\gal that buys it and finds out what it really is! no ethics i guess.
While I agree with you about non-disclosure, I would also point out that people should always do their homework before making any major purchase.

As Reagan said, "Trust, but verify".

I've been at Barrett-Jackson all week, and let me tell you some of these tribute cars are impeccably done, but even so they bring only a fraction of the real deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #30
tommys72

It would be cool to go there sometime, the batmobile sale was ridiculous
Posted via Mobile Device

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #31
Expat_dude

Funny how the word clone is being replaced with tribute.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u.../1970%20Chevy/
Expat_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #32
54belair

Pricing has always been a "what the maket will bear" thing. However, with that said----the pricing youre talking about is something else. Its either based on greed or ignorance--or both!.
I do think the big auctions are both good and bad--IF you have a fully restored vehicle, its nice to know you might be able to come out on it. But, everyone thinks their vehicle is in great shape and worth every bit as much as what they see sell for high dollars.
Another thing that is hurting us (the ones who try to buy, fix and sell reasonably) is these damn reality shows. These idiots pay big unreasonable prices for junk and magically "completely restore" it in a matter of two or three weeks and then brag about how much money they made when they sold it. We, who actually do the work know "it just aint like it is on tv"----but, all those people who are only interested in skinning someone see those shows and jump in to try and screw everyone.!!
(just my humble opinion!)
I hope I dont fall now as I get down off my soapbox!!!!!
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #33
54belair

As I was stumbling down off my soapbox--I remembered that in my area there is currently a guy who is trying to sell his bone stock 72 (one owner--it was his grqandpa's), and he has it listed on cl for 18k. It looks nice, but no where near that nice----you know it has hidden rust!!!!!
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #34
oneoff

I sold my red 69 Chevelle in my avatar at Barrett back in 2010. All it really takes is two people who really want the car to bid it up to a profitable level. Another friend/customer of my old shop in Florida took his Nova to a mecum auction and it didn't sell at $85,000. He was convinced by someone to bring it to Barrett in 2009 and it sold at $175,000. It was a cover car for PHR mag and was well worth it based on the build. I'm convinced the only way to make money is you have to really know what most people will pay for. Other than that, muscle and classic cars are just an interest free bank account until you flip it. The cool part until then, is you get to have a whole lot of fun with it!!!!

Dennis H
1969 Chevy C10, SWB, LS3,6.2L engine
1969 Chevy Chevelle SS,BBC, Convertible
oneoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #35
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickmanx1 View Post
After sinking 20+k into parts it's hard not to include labor, bs time to research and details to take care of. 29,000 seems like a deal. The old saying how do you sell a truck for 25k??? Spend 50k on it.
That's exactly right.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #36
69GWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54belair View Post
As I was stumbling down off my soapbox--I remembered that in my area there is currently a guy who is trying to sell his bone stock 72 (one owner--it was his grqandpa's), and he has it listed on cl for 18k. It looks nice, but no where near that nice----you know it has hidden rust!!!!!
I seen that truck on CLs as well, good luck to him he will need it..lol
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #37
TBONE1964
Cluster King

What is really strange to me is that I never ever seen a 70 chevelle SS sell for more than 18-20K prior to Barrett-Jackson, now every one wants 100,000 + for one. I like to call it the millionaires playground. No offense to anyone who has sold one for high dollars but I think it moved the market to a higher level and us middle class working people don't have a chance.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #38
PipsC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
What is really strange to me is that I never ever seen a 70 chevelle SS sell for more than 18-20K prior to Barrett-Jackson, now every one wants 100,000 + for one. I like to call it the millionaires playground. No offense to anyone who has sold one for high dollars but I think it moved the market to a higher level and us middle class working people don't have a chance.

Well said. I remember when riding dirt bikes was a "poor boy" sport. Now if you want to ride competitively you have to drop huge money. I quit riding years ago because it was just too expensive. Looks like muscle cars are becoming more and more un-obtainable as well. The dream of ever owning one of these cars is now really just a dream.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #39
derick1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
I think Obama should buy every one of these fellas a $29,000 Chevy truck!
I was blown up on august 26th 2012 in afghanistan and was sent back here to the states from medical treatments and recover. I got a $2500 71 k20 for thearpy reason and because I love these old trucks. I love my 2500 dollar truck, I would love to get a $29,000 truck from Obama. But he would probaly take $29,000 from my pay!
derick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #40
Roninwolf

I was all set to buy a 69 lwb parts truck that had been sitting in the weeds for years this weekend called the guy tell him i was on my way and he said ok but we need to talk when you get here. Was thinking someone else was wanting it and had offered a little more, so figured it was gonna cost me more. So i got there and what was he doing watching the BJ auction. told me he had SEEN what some of these trucks was bringing restored so we needed to talk. So anyway this is a rustbucket parts truck beat up fenders no tailgate blown motor etc. was supposed to buy it for $300 bucks and now he wants FRIGGEN $5k !!!!!!!!
90 Z71 S.B. 434 C.I. Stroker
78 Camaro Z28 (gave to wife she is restoring it)
Roninwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #41
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninwolf View Post
I was all set to buy a 69 lwb parts truck that had been sitting in the weeds for years this weekend called the guy tell him i was on my way and he said ok but we need to talk when you get here. Was thinking someone else was wanting it and had offered a little more, so figured it was gonna cost me more. So i got there and what was he doing watching the BJ auction. told me he had SEEN what some of these trucks was bringing restored so we needed to talk. So anyway this is a rustbucket parts truck beat up fenders no tailgate blown motor etc. was supposed to buy it for $300 bucks and now he wants FRIGGEN $5k !!!!!!!!
Then I guess he gets to keep it
Posted via Mobile Device

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #42
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
A lot of popular cars have become off limits, Chevelle's, 1st gen Camaros, 1st and 2nd gen Vettes. But if you are flexible in your requirements you can move to a newer gen car, or a different make.

I've been wanting a Chevelle for a while myself, and I ran across this one family owned Skylark for about 1/3 the going rate of a Chevelle.

Last edited by Zoomin; 01-20-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #43
Coley

Anyone can ask whatever they want for their stuff....its their choice, its a free country.
I love these trucks but they seriously run out of financial 'worth' (ie: steam) after $15k...and great examples can be found in that price range all day long in about 15 minutes on line.
If someone decides to sink...and I do mean sink...$30k into one...knock yourself out, its your truck. However do not expect someone else to pick up that tab should you decide to sell it.......you are one your own and should get comfortable with not seeing that money again. Hopefully the money was spent out of love and interest...thus providing full payback I suppose.
Just my two bits guys.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #44
Malamute

Zoomin is right, some good cars out there at decent prices if you are patient. If you see "the one" and it's priced high, you're just going to have to pay to play. I've bought way under market value and I've paid retail for something I wanted badly and knew that's what I was going to have to pay.

I really like that Skylark Zoomin.
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:51 AM   #45
leftybass209

Auctions are just a small piece of the puzzle. The fact is, you and I are the reason why prices go up. You want something bad enough, you're going to pay a little extra. Competition drives prices up. People can "ask" anything they want. Asking prices have a bit of arrogance, greed, and miscalculation built right in! I bite my tounge when I hear someone haggling over a price of a vehicle when it costs more than it would to build it. Shelby Cobras come to mind. The fact is there's thousands of 67-72 chevys. How many of them are restored correctly? Very few.
Posted via Mobile Device
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #46
big d's red67

I have spent lots and lots and lots of money on my 67 over the last three years knowing full well i won't get half my money back, I didn't buy this truck to resale. I am spending the money to build my dream truck if I didn't have the money to do so I would have bought a nice truck I could have afforded. I think part of the problem is people buy something old and because its old it's worth a lot of money, somethings are and somethings aren't but because of the T.V. shows we all watch people get the idea thats how real life works and it dosen't.

2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS
2013 Camaro RS convertible the wife's

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573248
big d's red67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #47
TobyArnot
Quit if it's not FUN!!!

The original George Barris #1 Batmobile sold for $4.2 mil this weekend. The buyer (and his young blond friend) said he was going to put it in his LIVING ROOM. Wish I had $4.2 mil. to spend on a coffee table. WHEW!!!!!
TobyArnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #48
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
A lot of popular cars have become off limits, Chevelle's, 1st gen Camaros, 1st and 2nd gen Vettes. But if you are flexible in your requirements you can move to a newer gen car, or a different make.

I've been wanting a Chevelle for a while myself, and I ran across this one family owned Skylark for about 1/3 the going rate of a Chevelle.

Been looking at these myself lately. There are some NICE Skylarks out here at very reasonable prices.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #49
oneoff

I understand the price for all classic cars is going up!!! Isn't everything???? I mean I just purchased a 12 Suburban for 50k, are you kidding me!!!!! I believe when I'm done on my truck, I'll have approx 25-30k in it. For the next few years I'll enjoy it and if I sell it for about 22k, which I think would be reasonable, I lose every little money!!!! I bet I lose 25 k alone when I sell the suburban. Which scenario would you rather do?
Everything in life is going up, I think it's just hard to get our heads out of the past and the past is gone, like the old prices for all vehicles in our childhood era!!!!

Dennis H
1969 Chevy C10, SWB, LS3,6.2L engine
1969 Chevy Chevelle SS,BBC, Convertible
oneoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #50
barraza

There sure is a lot of crying here. The bottom line is that a vehicle is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. No auction or advertised price can MAKE you pay what you don't want to.

Our trucks are 40+ years old. The old days of good, rust free sub $2k truck are long gone, and aren't coming back.
barraza is offline   Reply With Quote