The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #26
chevy1ton

Re: Dually to SRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
I believe the bed wheel wells are opened up on a dually bed so removing the fenders will leave an unsightly opening. Look inside the rear fender and you will see if I am right.

I have heard that the housing are the same, it is the hubs, backing plates, and axles are different. Not sure if that is true or if it applies to the 70. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will clarify if it is an option. IF you are still giving it any thought, I personally would let it be, its what most of us are would love to have.
I think you might be right about the bed, maybe I'm thinking the other way around, adding fenders to a regular bed to make a dually.
The fr D60 stays and you switch just the fr wheel hubs, everything else gets used the D70 has to be swapped for the 14blt as stated, I have never heard anyone using a D70 for SRW unless modified.
chevy1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #27
mopar346

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon83 View Post
i think its awesome the way it is, how is making it a single going to make it a better daily?
I think he means from the stand point of narrower, easier to manuver. Not that it still want be 40 ft long.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #28
meatwagon83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
I think he means from the stand point of narrower, easier to manuver. Not that it still want be 40 ft long.
the mirrors are just as wide as the dually fenders, so just rock it, plus, mine fits trough atms so what the problem?
meatwagon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #29
kevinr1970

So I have a line on a CC Dually that is nicer than the CC I have now.
I plan on converting it to a short bed SRW, but this time I think I am going to leave the 1-ton (or make 3/4 ton depending on what I find for parts to swap it).

I am under the impression that the 1-ton rears (DRW or SRW) are a different spacing (narrower?), so unless you plan to do some modding like welding on new perches, it is not a direct swap.
Can anyone confirm or refute that?
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
87 3+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsavage977 View Post
Yup 4" lift springs in the front and 3.5" blocks in the rear. I cant remember the tire size off hand but I think they are 265 75 r16
Awesome truck! I cant wait to put a lift on mine as soon as i get it running.
87 3+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #31
rs72z

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinr1970 View Post
So I have a line on a CC Dually that is nicer than the CC I have now.
I plan on converting it to a short bed SRW, but this time I think I am going to leave the 1-ton (or make 3/4 ton depending on what I find for parts to swap it).

I am under the impression that the 1-ton rears (DRW or SRW) are a different spacing (narrower?), so unless you plan to do some modding like welding on new perches, it is not a direct swap.
Can anyone confirm or refute that?
I took my truck from srw 3/4 ton to drw 1 ton. All i had to do on the rear was swap from the 14 bolt ff to the dana 70. spring pads were in the same spot.

78 ccsb dually
4l60e
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491551
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #32
chevy1ton

The center to center measurement of the spring perches are different by 1 1/2", the 1 ton being narrower than 1/2 or 3/4 ton.
Shock mounts are also different, 1 ton shocks mount on the inside of the frame, the 1/2-3/4 bolt up outside the frame.
That is the one thing you guys have to look for when swapping to the 14blt ff.
There are many more of the true 1 ton axles out there than the the ones for 1/2-3/4 ton.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #33
chevy1ton

I knew I had some good info on the 14blt, it took me a while to find;
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/
Sorry, the spring perch width difference is 2" not 1 1/2" as I originally stated.

Here is more than you'll ever want to know about D60's;
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ont/index.html

Last edited by chevy1ton; 02-05-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: add on
Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #34
rs72z

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy1ton View Post
The center to center measurement of the spring perches are different by 1 1/2", the 1 ton being narrower than 1/2 or 3/4 ton.
Shock mounts are also different, 1 ton shocks mount on the inside of the frame, the 1/2-3/4 bolt up outside the frame.
That is the one thing you guys have to look for when swapping to the 14blt ff.
There are many more of the true 1 ton axles out there than the the ones for 1/2-3/4 ton.
Not completely true.
My 3/4 ton has the same measurments as the 1 ton on springs and the shocks are inside the frame not outside.
That being said, my truck is a camper special that may make it have the same suspension as a 1 ton.

78 ccsb dually
4l60e
Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #35
chevy1ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs72z View Post
Not completely true.
My 3/4 ton has the same measurments as the 1 ton on springs and the shocks are inside the frame not outside.
That being said, my truck is a camper special that may make it have the same suspension as a 1 ton.
You may have a 1 ton frame, things to check for;
The mid section of the frame is 8" on 1 ton, 6" on 3/4.
The rear leaf spring, front mount center of bolt to the bottom of your bed brace will be 9" on 1 ton, 12" on 1/2-3/4 ton, this is also why you will rarely find a listing for a lift kit for a 1 ton. The same springs result in different heights to each truck, 1 ton being lower because leaf spring is mounted higher on the frame. I had to put both trucks side to side and measure everything back when I started mixing the parts myself.
They may have done some strange things with the early (pre '80) trucks that I have not heard of before the true 1 ton came out. What year is yours?
Maybe you have an odd ball, that's one thing I like about these trucks each truck can be night and day different from the other but look a like.
The 1 ton chassis couldn't be more different, I was handicapped with my 3/4 ton, everything I have is 1 ton, I had no parts for it.
Check out your measurements on your truck, I would be curious to know what you find out.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #36
rs72z

My truck is a 78, i should mention also that it's a crew cab. That could make a difference also.

The center of the frame is 8".
The front spring hanger is 7 1/2" from bed brace to center of the bolt.

It has the 1 ton front hangers because i bought some drop hangers for a 1/2 ton that wouldnt work.

78 ccsb dually
4l60e
Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #37
jsavage977

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 3+3 View Post
Awesome truck! I cant wait to put a lift on mine as soon as i get it running.
yea man it will be sweet. yup I think im gonna do the switch when i get money someday to srw with the hummer rims and tires. ill go with 6 inch lift springs in the front and if the rear needs more ill so a shackle flip. then unbolt the wide hips and weld the holes up and yup the fenders are cut out but "they" sell weld in bed patches for that. then shoot it up with some metallic black ha ha. this is all according to if i ever get money saved up.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #38
chevy1ton

Quote:
My truck is a 78, i should mention also that it's a crew cab. That could make a difference also.

The center of the frame is 8".
The front spring hanger is 7 1/2" from bed brace to center of the bolt.

It has the 1 ton front hangers because i bought some drop hangers for a 1/2 ton that wouldnt work.
Yeah, all crew cabs are 1 ton. Your springs are mounted even higher, I have seen them mounted that high with DRW cab/chassis before even a 3" block from the factory. Goes to show how different each can be.
Imagine that, the front of your rear springs mounted 4 1/2" higher than a standard 3/4 ton, how hard is it going to be to lift that truck? On the flip side I used my old 1 ton rear springs (8 over 1) in my 3/4 ton and had to use 4" springs in front to level it out.
A shackle flip with the original springs and maybe a 2" block would get you some decent height quick.

87 3+3, Have fun with your truck the way it is, hope you got some learning.

Last edited by chevy1ton; 02-06-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: add on
Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #39
87 3+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsavage977 View Post
yea man it will be sweet. yup I think im gonna do the switch when i get money someday to srw with the hummer rims and tires. ill go with 6 inch lift springs in the front and if the rear needs more ill so a shackle flip. then unbolt the wide hips and weld the holes up and yup the fenders are cut out but "they" sell weld in bed patches for that. then shoot it up with some metallic black ha ha. this is all according to if i ever get money saved up.
That will look awesome, especially with the bead lock hummer rims. I cant wait to see pictures of it when its all done!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #40
kevinr1970

Quote:
I took my truck from srw 3/4 ton to drw 1 ton. All i had to do on the rear was swap from the 14 bolt ff to the dana 70. spring pads were in the same spot.
rs72z, maybe you can answer this question; if a drw truck is lowered using spindles in the front, and I wanted to go srw, am I throwing the spindles away, or is everything that mounts on the spindle the difference?
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #41
martindc1

If you must change it to SRW, measure Wheel Mounting Surface (WMS) of the D70 then compare it to the width of a 14BFF before pulling the trigger on swapping axles. All you would need to do for the front is change the D60 hubs from DRW style to SRW style.

A guy on another forum put HMMWV wheels on a 1 ton and he used DRW hubs in the front and then a DRW D70 with 14BFF hubs in the rear to widen the WMS width. So thats why I question how much difference there really is between the WMS width of a DRW D70 and a 14BFF.

If you still want to do all this and decide you need to switch to a 14BFF, just make sure to find one from a 1 ton.

67 K20, 87 K10 aka V10 & 72 C10
martindc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #42
Chevyrules

i want these duallys
Attached Images

Chevyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #43
Anchorism

Those are some VERY awesome wheels youve got there! Id be really interested in them if and when you get rid of them for the alcoas. Which are these do you know?
Anchorism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #44
esbstuff

Quote:
you need a different rear, sell it and find a srw
I never knew that... I think I would try single before I spent $$$ on a rea.
esbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #45
Daveyboy1983

Quote:
i think its awesome the way it is, how is making it a single going to make it a better daily?
Ever try pulling through a bank drive through lane with a dually?? Pain in the Arse! haha!
Daveyboy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #46
meatwagon83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboy1983 View Post
Ever try pulling through a bank drive through lane with a dually?? Pain in the Arse! haha!
didnt you read that i said it fits trough the atms? bank drive throughs drive through carryouts do you have mirrors on your truck? if your mirrors fit your fenders will too! maybe he should sell it and get a shortbed slammed on 22s if he cant handle a big truck!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #47
87 3+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorism View Post
Those are some VERY awesome wheels youve got there! Id be really interested in them if and when you get rid of them for the alcoas. Which are these do you know?
ya, i either want to put brushed aluminum alcoas on it or stock white wheels. I love the way white wheels, bumpers, and mirrors look. I dont know what kind of wheels are on it off the top of my head. I will check this evening though.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #48
Anchorism

Quote:
ya, i either want to put brushed aluminum alcoas on it or stock white wheels. I love the way white wheels, bumpers, and mirrors look. I dont know what kind of wheels are on it off the top of my head. I will check this evening though.
Ive got 2 complete sets maybe even more of the white wheels if your interested in maybe making a deal. And ive got family that goes to Idaho on occasion who could possibly make it happen without shipping. Dont be fooled by my location, my two rigs are in Southern Colorado with my dad.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #49
87 3+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorism View Post
Ive got 2 complete sets maybe even more of the white wheels if your interested in maybe making a deal. And ive got family that goes to Idaho on occasion who could possibly make it happen without shipping. Dont be fooled by my location, my two rigs are in Southern Colorado with my dad.
Ya, we might be able to make a deal. I will talk to my dad this evening. Do you have any pictures of the white wheels? And what part of Idaho does your family visit?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #50
Anchorism

Quote:
Ya, we might be able to make a deal. I will talk to my dad this evening. Do you have any pictures of the white wheels? And what part of Idaho does your family visit?
Id have to ask where. Its my brother in law. As for the wheels i can send you a link to the truck ive got. Ones a parts truck and one is the truck im rebuilding. I know theyre dirty and i havent seen the ones on the parts truck in person yet. I can ask my dad to take pictures of the wheels up close but it might take a few days as he is a very busy man with his job and his ranch! lol. Heres a link. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573607