The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #26
86Eric

Re: Fender Flares Pictures

I'm new to the square bodies and my K10's fenders on both the bed and the front are rusted through. Its about an inch wide of rust on three of the four fenders. The rest of the truck's paint is in fair condition. I am leaning towards the Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender flares in order to save some money instead of replacing the bed and repainting the entire truck. What are the subject matter experts' opinions?
86Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #27
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

you could cut it off and use cutouts. truck will prob rot past that part you cut off though if its started. best to patch it up and replace a fender. you would then only have to paint the bed and the fender would have to be blended when painted.
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
special-K
Special Order

You could just cover the rust with the extend-a-fender to buy time. Yeah,it will probably get worse,especially since it will hold crap and moisture,but either way that area will be getting replaced when you restore. It's easy enough to remove (I screw,not rivet) with a screw gun whenever tires are off (rotation) and give a good rinse out and hit with rust convertor.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #29
86Eric

With all the other areas that need attention on truck, I think a $450 fix will have to do as opposed to a $1500 fix. In the llong run, I do want to replace the bed and repaint the entire truck, but for now, I think cutting an inch away from the fenders, and sealing the metal with a bedliner protectant followed up by the flares. Its a midnight blue truck so I think the black flares will look good anyway.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #30
dieseldawg142

i had some minor bubbles on my rear wheelwells, i installed BW cut-outs approx six/seven yrs ago.
i filed & sanded the cut edges & hit them with some industrial red oxide primer.
two yrs ago i got to have a good look at them when a lady left-turned me. the metal was in perfect shape with NO traces of rust anywhere. i did cover up the red oxide with 3 coats of black por15 before installing my new flares this time
they allow you to run nice wide rubber
Name:  545.jpg
Views: 2286
Size:  55.9 KB
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #31
86Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
i had some minor bubbles on my rear wheelwells, i installed BW cut-outs approx six/seven yrs ago.
i filed & sanded the cut edges & hit them with some industrial red oxide primer.
two yrs ago i got to have a good look at them when a lady left-turned me. the metal was in perfect shape with NO traces of rust anywhere. i did cover up the red oxide with 3 coats of black por15 before installing my new flares this time
they allow you to run nice wide rubber
Attachment 1190501
This is definitly the direction I think I will go then. Does anyone have any pictures of the fenders on a black truck?
Old 12-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #32
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Eric View Post
This is definitly the direction I think I will go then. Does anyone have any pictures of the fenders on a black truck?
when i replaced mine, i got them from Streetsideauto. get on their mailing list so you can get a better deal. i forget what the promo was, but with it & because it was my first purchase ever from them, (got another 15% off), i paid $340 for all 4, they have free shipping on fender flares too
Old 12-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #33
bohmankid

Here's a local Utah truck with rhino lined cutouts
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 19455
Size:  45.2 KB
bohmankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #34
dieseldawg142

^^i like that, i want to line-x my cut-outs & rockers
Old 12-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #35
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

its not cheap wanted like 800 to do the rocker only right under the door and the cab corner in white on my 04. i was like no i can paint the whole truck for a grand.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #36
dieseldawg142

no, it's not cheap, but my boss has done over a dozen of his trucks, so i run my truck threw his account & pay him back.
with his account i was able to get the box (8ft) on my crew done for $430. mind you, i did all the prep, & stayed under the rails & no tailgate
if i take the flares off & prep the rockers, i was quoted $250. this is all just in black though
Old 12-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #37
86Eric

Quick update:

So the fender flares are on hold. My recent repairs have included:
-New motor from Jegs
-New Headers
-New Distributor
-New Spark plug Wires
-New Spark plugs
-New Carb
-New Alternator
-New water pump

Now I'm finding out it has sediment in the gas tank from sitting for so long, so I am in a debate to get a new tank, or just clean out the old. On top of that, I would assume it needs a new fuel pump and sending unit.

This is all just to get it running. Forget cosmetics. So We'll see how this pans out, but I doubt the fender flares or interior replacment are going to be on the shopping list for a while.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #38
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
no, it's not cheap, but my boss has done over a dozen of his trucks, so i run my truck threw his account & pay him back.
with his account i was able to get the box (8ft) on my crew done for $430. mind you, i did all the prep, & stayed under the rails & no tailgate
if i take the flares off & prep the rockers, i was quoted $250. this is all just in black though
thats a good deal man the sticker shock blew my mind when i inquired. i couldnt understand though how they wanted more for a section that was 4 inches wide and 6 feet long vs a whole bed. they wanted 550 for a bed.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #39
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Quick update:

So the fender flares are on hold. My recent repairs have included:
-New motor from Jegs
-New Headers
-New Distributor
-New Spark plug Wires
-New Spark plugs
-New Carb
-New Alternator
-New water pump

Now I'm finding out it has sediment in the gas tank from sitting for so long, so I am in a debate to get a new tank, or just clean out the old. On top of that, I would assume it needs a new fuel pump and sending unit.

This is all just to get it running. Forget cosmetics. So We'll see how this pans out, but I doubt the fender flares or interior replacment are going to be on the shopping list for a while.
clean it out is alot cheaper
Old 12-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #40
86Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
clean it out is alot cheaper
Right now I'm looking into the option to simply clean it out, but I am going through second hand information since I am in Afghanistan. The goal is to have a running truck for when I get back so I can focus on the body work and replacing the interior. I have found a few decent gas tanks and sending unit combinations on craigslist for under $100 if I have go that route. This truck is starting to model a Jeep in the sense that when you replace "A", "B,C,D" are also bad and need replacing.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #41
tonyscustomrides

DirtyLarry- Not to get too far off topic, but I didn't like campers till I saw your pictures, what kind is that?

Tony
64 impala 2 dr hard top-project waiting to get started
tonyscustomrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:05 AM   #42
86Eric

Are there any trucks out there running just the fender flares without any lift? I am curious how it would look or if would need to step up a tire size to fill the gap. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:05 AM   #43
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyscustomrides View Post
DirtyLarry- Not to get too far off topic, but I didn't like campers till I saw your pictures, what kind is that?

Tony
Sorry to be late to the reply. I just noticed your question. For some reason subscribing to a thread doesn’t do much around here these days. I used to get email notices for all thread subscriptions but that appears to not be working anymore.

The camper is a Phoenix Popup built in Denver, CO. Unlike most truck camper manufacturers that build one-size fits all campers, Phoenix does mostly custom builds to meet your specifications. These are light weight, full aluminum frame campers and they are not cheap. For us old GM square body truck guys, you can expect to pay twice of what the 70’s and 80’s truck cost new for one of these campers in today’s money but they are well worth it if you are into hard core camping and dedicated to the truck.

Quote:
Are there any trucks out there running just the fender flares without any lift? I am curious how it would look or if would need to step up a tire size to fill the gap. Thanks.
Try google images. There are several pictures out there of 2wd and stock 4wd trucks wearing fender flares.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:32 AM   #44
Andybevens14

Reviving the dead here but... How space do the cut outs gain you in the front? Could you run a 4 inch with a zero rate moving the axle forward with cutouts and 37 inch tires?
Old 09-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #45
dieseldawg142

lots
like adding a 3" body lift
if your shoving the axle ahead with 37's, you mite want to take some off the bottom under the marker light
got a 8" lift with cut-outs & trimmed bottoms & have easily fit a 42 on there, it should work