The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #26
msg

Re: New Guy from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 View Post
Started on my restore last fall. I also had never welded before and decided to jump into it. Did a lot of research on types of welders and what is best for sheet metal. Ended up buying a Mig welder. Its easier than other types of welding according to what I read and works well with sheet metal. After 3 weeks of having it, I can weld in patch panels and do an acceptable job (still have to grind down the welds a fair amount but am getting better).

My advice would be to buy a brand name welder (stay away from Chinese cheap stuff, hard to get the consumables and supposedly impossible to repair). Spend a little more than you want to and grow into the welder's capabilities. I am very happy I went this route and that I am now patching up my cab myself.
Good to hear that you caught on quick, hope I get the hang of it cause this cab has lots of spots rusting through.

So steer clear of Harbor Freight on welding equipment huh?
msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #27
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
carb is a quadrajet(excellent imo), has electric choke(better still imo), likely came on a Chevy(has side-fuel-inlet vs. straight in from front: still good). They are a science by themselves and quite a performer when tuned properly--plus up to just about whatever task you ask of it, from putting around town to performance on the strip. Yields about whatever cfm your engine combo requests.

Hope you enjoy our forum and learn as much as I have and still do!
sam
Thanks Sam, I am looking forward to beginning this weekend by trying to learn how to tune up this rig. I figure start there before I start focusing on how to repair the body. Trying not to get overwhelmed and begin in the right order.
msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #28
da_bears_da1

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Good to hear that you caught on quick, hope I get the hang of it cause this cab has lots of spots rusting through.

So steer clear of Harbor Freight on welding equipment huh?
No doubt about it. I looked at a lot of Miller, Lincoln and some Hobart welders. Ended up buying a Lincoln since we have a Lowes locally that carries the consumables. Bought the welder on-line from a place in Wisconsin since I live in northern IL however they do offer free shipping.

While shopping for the welder find some scrap metal to practice on. I spent a full day just playing around with it before I ever tried anything on the cab. Glad I did do that now when I see my burn holes in the practice metal.
da_bears_da1 is offline   Reply With Quote