The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #26
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: Ol John Lee is hurt

The suspension dosn't look bad from this angle.

Some issues here, can ya pick it out?

A bit closer, 1 oclock.... the frame opened to a tear.

Zoomed in, an old crack, likely from a prior hit now opened up completly with some inward movement of the aft end of the newly installed upper control arm shaft.

Looking at the frame damage and crack from above. This much can be moved out and the crack welded and the difference made up with a shim I think.

Some difference in the height of the frame horns, hard to say but I suspect this is an old damage as the bumper wasn't quite straight before the Valentines Day Accident.

Resting comfortably in his spot in the garage....started right up, drove around the neighborhood, no leaks, no powerpack problems beyond the shroud and the motor mounts and now the waiting game starts......the Insurance waiting game that is. Meantime, I don't think Ol John Lee is gonna be on the road much for a bit. Alignment is definatly off as the steering wheel is now about 1/4 turn off center.

Looks like this is the talley right now, more investigation will reveal more I'm sure.. Alignment, Frame damage, LF Fender outer and inner, Grill, Grill Shell/Radiator Surround, Bumper, Bumper brackets, Headlamp houseings, Headlamps, Motor Mounts, Fan Shroud, Possible Hood issues, Hood latch, Hood latch bracket, Wheel, Tire, Tube, Hub Cap, Wheel bearing cap.

Last edited by Sharps40; 02-15-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #27
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
From the pics, I seem to remember passing there when we were in Sanford in Oct. Is that near Fayetteville??? Just wondering.
Sanford is 32 miles due north of Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #28
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
I have all those parts if insurance wants to pay shipping.It looks like an easy fix and your brakes prolly helped.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I expect repairs might move just a bit quicker than insurance but we'll see. First I gotta finish up some gun projects and lay in a bit of cash for parts. I guess if a pro review of the truck indicates its fixible I might as well do the sheetmetal/frame work in conjunction with a new power pack. Trans linkage is tweekey right now, it shifts but with the engine up 1/2" off the RF motor mount that may be why it feels shallow in first. We'll see, it shifts and I spect with a motor mount and shroud I can at least get it to/from shops for estimates/repair assist.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #29
jamesrussell26

i have a grill you are welcome too if you want to pay shipping,of course it needs some paint but hey price is right
Old 02-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
62 bigwindow

I think I too have most of those parts if your looking. I am in Mocksville which is between Winston Salem and Statesville NC Let me know if I can help....
Old 02-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
Sharps40
Account Suspended

The bad part of this. If we fix him up, he won't be in his original work cloths any more.....he'll look like everyother half broke hot rod being shot with primer by folks with no plan. Whole thing is depressing, specially looking at the potential for a big insurance fight just to get some green to order basic parts, let alone finding someone who can handle minor frame repairs with something approaching competence. I can handle just about everything but tweeking the left frame rale and welding it back up. We'll see, I have to slow down and think it thru but the ***** is not bein able to drive my truck for up to months.

Sorry, gettin maudlin. Gotta get a pro to look Ol John Lees frame over first...
Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #32
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrussell26 View Post
i have a grill you are welcome too if you want to pay shipping,of course it needs some paint but hey price is right
Thanks, may need it.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #33
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 bigwindow View Post
I think I too have most of those parts if your looking. I am in Mocksville which is between Winston Salem and Statesville NC Let me know if I can help....
very cool. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #34
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Thanks to all on the parts offers. I'll keep pingin the insurance dudes and hopefully soon I'll know how much damage is on the frame. If it all looks dooable and part of that is someone around here that can tweek a frame, I'll hope to be in touch.

All this don't make it worth while but it sure helps!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #35
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Might be neat to straighten out that old grill a bit and hang it up in the shop with a sign that says something like "Courtesy of Non English Speaking Driver with no License or Insurance and Drivin a Borrowed Buddies Car Who Does Have Insurance." Or maybe just a sign with "Ol John Lee is Thor's Hammer, Ya Shoulda Seen the Other Car."
Old 02-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #36
gimmy 64

have you had it looked at by insurance yet? from experiance they will tell you it is totaled and offer you $800 for it. you don't have to take the totaled price and insist that they fix it. just my experiance. happened to me with my 68 panel truck.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #37
jamesrussell26

that frame is fixable any decent i-car certified shop can do it easy and quick.i have experience pulling em and writing estimates. but like gimmy said be prepaired for them to tell you its a total loss
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #38
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmy 64 View Post
have you had it looked at by insurance yet? from experiance they will tell you it is totaled and offer you $800 for it. you don't have to take the totaled price and insist that they fix it. just my experiance. happened to me with my 68 panel truck.
I intend to get Ol John Lee up and runnin and I'll be pushin em just like you did!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #39
joedoh

they will offer you 800 bucks like what was said but then you bury them in comparable values. that truck was a real sweetheart, sorry to see it all banged up but dont take no for an answer and dont agree to squat.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #40
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrussell26 View Post
that frame is fixable any decent i-car certified shop can do it easy and quick.i have experience pulling em and writing estimates. but like gimmy said be prepaired for them to tell you its a total loss
Yeah, I figure best thing is to get the insurance moveing toward parts and repair costs and when its all in, buy the engine/trans, strip, to the shop for straightening and then home for a reassembly...wish I coulda started tonight! Just wish it could stay blue but if I can get some original parts with old paint on em, it'll still look good. Kinda like coveralls with a work shirt!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #41
joedoh

I have a grille surround that color, with the white inset too.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #42
joedoh

yeah the guys here are some of the best. keep your sweatpants shenanigans to yourself though haha

Old 02-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #43
Grizz1963

I have followed your thread and have to say, the generosity of folks has me smiling here.

I hope you can get the truck all sorted and back to as good as before with minimal pain.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #44
LT1 Burb

Thats just crazy that the frame cracked like that, I wonder if its all that east coast salt but that surprises me.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #45
Sharps40
Account Suspended

No salt on this truck...it spent its life in the foothills of the Apalachas. Some snow there occasionally but we all know to stay off the road cause there is only one salt truck in NC and its been broke down for 32 years. Speakin of which, its snowin here now for the first time in 2 years. Meantime, I gotta round up a lawyer for that first bit of legal advice since I may need it.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #46
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Found a shop local that does restos and frame work on the old ones. Pick up via rollback is 5 PM today for the estimate and workup. Still no contact from other insurance company. But we shall see won't we?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #47
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Well, had ta put Ol John Lee on the RollBack for the third time in 4 days. But this time he's goin in to a shop that knows what they are lookin at. They have a 65 C10 and a 55 Ford truck in there now and the teardown and estimate is free. So, if nothin else, a lotta potential labor saved. First look at the frame and we'll what the pros have to say. But they have my punch list of parts and I'm satisfied my ol boy is in good hands for the initial workup.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #48
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Thanks all, just got a note, prayers being offered to Duntov for Ol John Lee....I'm sure it'll help...stayin positive!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #49
Indian113

hope you have better luck than I had with a unlicensed driver,No insurance if the driver doesn't have a license in Iowa. Lucky I had good insurance but my rates went up.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #50
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Last ditch is my uninsured drivers policy. But, in the meantime I'm interviewing lawyers. First we'll see what the pros say about the frame, it pretty much all starts and ends there.
Closed Thread