The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #26
ole dollor

Re: Value increase with a 5.3 swap?

i can't see why an upgrade like that would hurt you . i think it would be great to have an new modern motor and trans in our old pickups. the computer fuel injected motors if its hooked up right would be great to have....i would change mine if i was smart enough and had enough money to get it done...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #27
Maximuz
Account Suspended

I love original unmolested trucks, but I would definitely pay more if it came with a modern engine swap, done right of course.
Maximuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #28
Ed 72 Sierra Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximuz View Post
I love original unmolested trucks, but I would definitely pay more if it came with a modern engine swap, done right of course.
Love a stock one and would love to have a mod that is not a hack job.

Now how many of you have more than one of these trucks and fall into this

Category????
402 bb / Camper
Stock, Loaded, Straight & Aged Nicely, No Tilt
Original Resto would be nice $
Ed 72 Sierra Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #29
Xeen

As far as Value goes, heck beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend.
The Gen 3 Vortec is improved over the Gen 1 small block in every way imaginable, it's more robust you can expect 300k miles out of it instead of 100k out of a Gen 1 small block.
Granted the Gen 3 is alot more complex and when it breaks you have to get out the scanner to find out whats wrong with it, but hey with that complexity comes better fuel economy.
So I guess the question is what do you want out of an engine, do you want old school or new school?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #30
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint68 View Post
I don’t think the cost is too far off from building a 350, maybe even cheaper unless you go crazy. Value wise, how could it hurt?? You're putting a newer, more reliable, and fuel efficient engine that will make it more usable and enjoyable, all without changing the classic exterior look of it. I think the vast majority of "buyers" would prefer a vehicle that runs good and efficient all the time, instead of one that needs tinkered with. Not sure, but if it keeps it from smelling like gas, that would sell me on the deal!
One of the reasons I've been stuck on these trucks for the last 40 years is because they are "more reliable",very usable and enjoyable,run great and efficient all the time. Another reason is because they are dirt simple to work on and another is I've always been able to get them home,no matter what. I see the attraction to sacrificing your wonderful classic to the computer gods because you can have power and economy for today's needs. But there's nothing about these trucks,after all these years,that keeps them from being perfectly good daily driver/commuter vehicles that can do what you need. I ran my Custom Camper with my family inside all over this country for 18 years. The engine was completely stock,including the distributor. I never had an issue with the points. I think I only changed them once. People can talk themselves into needing anything. But these trucks were built just right and they're still just right. There's more to these trucks than vanity.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #31
Pillow

Amen K! Keep it simple. Keep it classy.
'79 Porsche 911 SC
'48 Spartan Mansion 30' travel trailer
'10 Porsche Cayenne S - Daily
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote