The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Need Opinions on Bed Ideas Before Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Aura View Post
I've looked into using TREX before, but didn't use it because its expansion/contraction is a lot more than wood. I think the expansion is more linear than it expanding in width. How has yours held up? Any signs of movement or buckling when butted up against the bed?

Looks nice though. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
In that pic, you can see the ends are just kind of cut and left unfinished, and the expansion is kind of why, I tried to put some logic behind it. The whole thing is getting bedlined, and you can kinda see the 1/8 or so gap between the long boards up top, and the short boards in the rear (trap door for the fuel cell). So far the gaps have been enough to allow the bed to do its thing without pushing on the panels or moving around. I honestly haven't seen ANY movement in the stuff...its actually not TREX brand, but similar...maybe the bad expansion only happens with certain types? (I had heard the same before I did the install)

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
LowGT

Re: Need Opinions on Bed Ideas Before Sale

If it were my truck, I think the best option would be to leave the frame alone, spray the bed sides satin black, and put the siding like luvbowties mentioned. I think it looks better than plywood and doesn't cost much more. You should definitely be able to pull that off for less than $100 and a Saturday.

The truck is definitely too nice to sell as-is. Someone will use the missing bed as a big bargaining chip. $100 is a good investment even if they plan on ripping it out later. At least they can't say, "I'm going to have to put a bed in it and that will cost blah blah much."